PDA

View Full Version : Kirkey Seat

Sandro
02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I am thinking of getting a Kirkey Seat. I was lookiing at their Road Race seat and Intermediate Lay Back, with the Lay Back I would be adding the addition shoulder supports.
Would the Lay Back be a safe enough seat for Road Racing or is their a reason they dont recommend it for road race? Would the additional shoulder supports be stroung enough to support in the event of an accident or are they more to hold you in while driving?

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/images/seats/39000.jpghttp://www.kirkeyracing.com/images/seats/47000.jpg

ddewhurst
02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Sandro, I had used a Kirkey 20* layback per your picture. I have now procured a Ultra Safe road race seat which is similar to the Kirkey road race seat. Two reasons I procured a road race seat are: I needed a narrower seat at the ass to fit between the inside of the rocker & the tunnel. Also when one is sitting in a race car seat one needs to keep in mind that when talking about the hips, the ribs or the shoulders with respect to injury the ribs are the weak part of the three.

RacerBill
02-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Sandro: I have been using the Intermediate Lay-Back and find for the most part that it is pretty comfortable. However, I wish that they had the Road Race seat when I purchased mine. If you look at the Intermediate seat you will notice two wings about rib cage high. In my case, I have a short torso, and it is slightly uncomfortable to get my arms above those wings. It is most noticable when just sitting in the car - does not seem to be an issue on the track. One thing to consider when fitting a seat is the height of the hole(s) for the shoulder harness. Again, with my short torso, I had to lower the bottom edge of the hole so that the harness could go straight back from the top of my shoulder to the harness bar on the cage (that was custom fit).

joeg
02-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I am not a fan of aluminum seats. Consider a composite shell.

mlytle
03-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I am thinking of getting a Kirkey Seat. I was lookiing at their Road Race seat and Intermediate Lay Back, with the Lay Back I would be adding the addition shoulder supports.
Would the Lay Back be a safe enough seat for Road Racing or is their a reason they dont recommend it for road race? Would the additional shoulder supports be stroung enough to support in the event of an accident or are they more to hold you in while driving?

[/b]

i have used both. the road racing seat is way better than the intermediate. far more comfortable and supportive. but, having used them both, i have a sparco pro2000 in my car now.

Sandro
03-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Appreciate your guys help.

I have decided to go with a Sparco or OMP, I figured a seat can almost last forever so might as well spend the money to be compfortable, and safe(wouldn't want to be sitting in a wheelchair saying I should have spent a little more on a seat)

mlytle,
You like your pro2000 that is one of the ones I am considering? Going to go sit in a few and then decide.

lateapex911
03-05-2007, 12:17 PM
VERY good call on this!

mlytle
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
yes, love the p2000. only downside if you have a really tall torso. the holes for the shoulder harnesses are a little low if you run a hans.

Sandro
03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
That shouldnt be a problem for me, Im not quite what you would call tall.

Going tomorrow to try some seats out. :026:

Thanks

invisible saddle
03-06-2007, 01:02 AM
sitting in different seats to try them out is the best bet. I sat around in quite a few before my butt told me a sparco rev was the ticket. i lucked out tho and picked up a cobra imola 2 for less than $300 and its similar to the rev and was a good compromise for price and sizing. plus its kevlar backing too

spnkzss
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I have to say of all the seats I have sat in I still love my Kirkey Intermediate Roadrace the best.

T Broring
03-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I have used both Kirkey seats, the Road Race and Intermediate. The intermediate gave better feel of the car but was a huge pain to get in and out off. Having a removable stering wheel may have helped, but I did not. If you have a big sedan-type car this may not be as big a deal. Also for me the big rib supports of the intermediate in in the way of my arm for shifting in my car.

Best advice is sit in a few seats in cars, not at a supplier's showroom!