PDA

View Full Version : CRX removable side windows

CDS
02-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Since I have an open trailer, I would like to make some sort of lexan side window insert that I can put in place when towing, etc. This is pretty simple on doors that have window frames since you can just slide it in place, but what do you guys do on doors that don't have frames? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

charrbq
02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I've seen cardboard and tape, but that's just a little past ghetto. Some use dzus clips monted to the edge of the window opening (at the top) and the same on a thin piece of aluminum or ABS plastic. Leave a long enough tab at the bottom to insert into the window channel.

biovic
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I use 1/8 inch thick plastic stock from Home Depot, comes in different size sheets, 2x3 or 2x4 foot size works for most size windows (I have an Integra and it's a pretty big window). I trace the factory glass window and then cut out the plastic using a glass/plastic cutter, then grind/file the edges to take off sharp edges. I attach 2 smallish metal L brackets (carefully drill holes and attach with rivets) to the inside of the plastic window to allow it to rest on the top of the door so it won't fall down. I then attach 2 more L brackets to the top portion of the window (on the inside) to attach tiny bungee cords and attach to cage bars inside. Racer tape to the outside along the window frame top helps ensure the wind won't grab it out when trailering.
Victor

svt38
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
On my CRX I use a factory window with two bolts. What I did was I stripped the window off all hardware. Saving two of the 6mm nut/washers and bolting them thru the two slotted holes in the door with longer 6mm bolts. Two of the holes in the window lines up with two slotted holes in the door when the window is in the up position.

A 1.00 inch spacer on the back hole and 1.50 inch on the front are required to get the window angle right. I made some marks on the window after the right location was found to make it easier for reinstall. This way no taping or any additional brackets needs to be made.

Zephyr
03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I used the stock window and stripped it of all its hardware. I then attached a piece of sheet metal to it and measured down along the bars where the hardware attaches and put in two bolts. From there I drilled two holes where I wanted the window to ultimately sit when in place. I then put a larger hole below that would clear the head of the bolts and cut a slot connecting the two holes. I now have the stock window in that can be removed when I get to an event. Unlike making a lexan window I do not need to use bungee cords or tape to get it to seal properly.

Zephyr