PDA

View Full Version : are any events open to the public?

anrkii
02-25-2007, 12:12 AM
just wondering, but do any regional races allow spectators?
my family and friends would like to see me race.

Also , my crew must be full scca members, correct?

JoshS
02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
Check with your region, but all of my races (San Francisco Region) are open to anyone who is willing to sign the insurance waiver.

Gregg
02-25-2007, 01:38 AM
All DC Region events at Summit Point are open to spectators. They, of course, will need to sign a waiver and the track does collect a spectator fee. You'll find that many of the region's competitors will simply include family members on their crew lists (we're allowed three at no charge) in order to bypass that gate fee.

CaptainWho
02-25-2007, 03:14 AM
All Atlanta Region events at Road Atlanta are spectator events. There's a small gate charge for spectators, but I don't remember the amount.

anrkii
02-25-2007, 05:35 AM
sounds great.

but does my crewman have to be a club member to get into the paddock?

dickita15
02-25-2007, 06:44 AM
crew must be member to be in "Hot" areas. Hot is the track, Pits and False grid. the paddock area is not hot, so your crew does not have to be members if they stay in the paddock, but they can not go to the pits to take temps and such. logistics of where hot areas are can vary from track to track.

JLawton
02-25-2007, 09:27 AM
sounds great.

but does my crewman have to be a club member to get into the paddock?
[/b]

Some regions offer a temp membership. If I recall, NER is free for 90 days and you can sign up at the track. That way you can getthem into the hot pits.

mlytle
02-25-2007, 11:34 AM
just wondering, but do any regional races allow spectators?
my family and friends would like to see me race.

Also , my crew must be full scca members, correct?
[/b]

do any regions NOT allow spectators?

gran racing
02-25-2007, 12:42 PM
It depends on how you define spectators. ;) Crew, overcrew, volunteers / workers, allowed vendors and those with a region guest pass are always allowed. Some events are "non-spectator" events which means that someone who is just interested in watching the event but is does not fall into one of the other areas mentioned above are not allowed into the track.

Matt Rowe
02-25-2007, 06:49 PM
The way the club distinguishes spectators vs participants is via the waiver. A spectator has not signed the SCCA waiver a participant has. Now don't be confused by a waiver someon signs at the guard shack on the way into the track, typically that is the waiver required by the track owner. So in that light a non-spectator race would only mean that everyone netering the track has to sign SCCA's waiver, but a membership is not required.

Now, I have a feeling that risk management probably feels that it is difficult to ensure that everyone entering the site ends up signing our waiver so I think most club races are spectator events, unless maybe you can really demonstrate enough control over the site.

JimLill
02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
FLR and Glen I believe have a $15 temp (applies to full) membership

Eagle7
02-27-2007, 09:36 AM
do any regions NOT allow spectators?
[/b]

My region used to run all non-spectator regionals. In order to get all my family and friends that wanted to attend admitted, I was advised to put "anyone that asks" in a crew signup slot. They need to sign the waiver and pay the charge for extra crew. Caveat - the entrant is responsible for the behavior of all his crew, so make sure they won't do you wrong. :D