PDA

View Full Version : 2003+ Expedition vs 2003+ Tahoe/Yukon?

Racerlinn
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I have run out of favors amongst the cast of characters that I have borrowed tow vehicles from over the past two years. We also have a second junior kart now in the house as both kids are going to start running Solo's. Our '97 Grand Crapavan is getting a bit ripe and the wife is now open to bringing an SUV into the fold. There are quite a few used 2003 and 2004 Expeditions, Tahoes and Yukons on the market now for less than $20k with reasonable mileage on them. I'll be towing only open trailer's, no big 24' boxes.
My main requirements: Third row seat (kids) and a tow package.
A pickup truck is out of the question (see comment above about wife).
So, who want's to stick up for Ford vs. GM? Big differences? Concerns? Thoughts? Rumors?

JoshS
02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Expy 3rd row disappears into the floor. Tahoe/Yukon -- make room in the garage. They're heavy too.

Tahoe/Yukon seems to drive a little nicer without the trailer, but Expy numbers make it a better tow vehicle.

Personally, I picked the '03 Expedition with the 5.4L. '04 (or was it '05?) got the 3-valve heads with a bump in HP. Bought new. Had a bad LSD, but dealer replaced under warranty and all has been good since.

CDS
02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
I have a 2002 Tahoe 5.3l which tows my relatively heavy open trailer and light (1955 lb) CRX with no problem. The 3rd row seats are a royal pain to take in and out as they are heavy and awkward to handle. And, when they are in place, there is little to no room behind them for storage. A suburban would solve that problem, but it's awfully big for an everyday driver (which my Tahoe is). On the plus side, the front seats are comfortable and the ride is good. I've had very little problems in almost 80k miles.