PDA

View Full Version : Adios amigos!

benracin
02-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Well boys it's been nice. I just added my car to the poor list of classifieds. I'll be hanging my head low for a couple of days. My current life situation only allows me to race about once a year and that's just not enough to satisfy my urge, so you just may see me in a kart some day! Anyhoo, you guys have been so gosh darn helpful. I wouldn't of been able to race at all if it wasn't for this forum so thanks a ton. I'm sure you'll see me again some day. Beers all around!

lateapex911
02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Bummer....at least the TV stardom thing hasn't gone to your head!

I was hoping to see you down in Ohio this summer.

ddewhurst
02-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Ben, sorry to hear yer hanging it up. Where in MN do serious Karters do their thing ? There is a neat Karting track near Mason City Iowa. Say Hi to crew.

EDIT: Looked at the map,it's Marshalltown, Iowa.

gran racing
02-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Ben,
Instead of selling your car and getting out of racing entirely, have you considered putting wheel-to-wheel racing on hold for a while and instead instruct at HPDEs? You can then use tires such as Toyos or take-offs, free entry to the event, and in the process help mold future racers. Things in life can change quickly; who knows what's around the corner for you? :D

benracin
02-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, and now, the answers!

Yes, life since becoming a famous movie star has been tough. I just can't shop in public places anymore because nobody recognizes me and that makes me feel bad. I keep telling them I'm famous but they just don't get it. I'm guessing they're jealous. Turns out they are showing the show again this weekend, so if you're interested, head to this page (http://www.hometime.com/TV/pastshow/pastshows/syndication/2006/s515townhome.htm) and click the link to find your local pbs station.

As for karting, the local track is here (http://www.stockholmkartingcenter.com/) just 30 minutes away which is awesome instead of the 7 hours it takes me to get to a car track. I'm thinking about either the TaG or Rotax class. Any advice for me David the kart pro?

And as for HPDEs that would be pretty cool. The fact for me is that I love the racing wheel to wheel part and I just can't handle the cost of entry fees, gas for long tows and broken parts. I've always been a serious budget racer and I'm now faced with the cost of improving my tow vehicle, trailer, and other stuff and none of that equals racing. So, I've decided to switch to a more cost friendly and much more local form of racing. The local track even has open days were you can go drive around all day long if you wish! Now that's awesome! Being an instructor would be cool though. I've always really respected the instructors who helped me along. Do you get a free car to drive and a free SCCA membership with instructing? If so, sign me up! I'm sure I'll be back to auto racing some day. Especially if a local track gets created.

gsbaker
02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Aw man, say it isn't so! :(

ddewhurst
02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
***I'm thinking about either the TaG or Rotax class.***

Ben, I read the stuff about the track & classes. That being said, if I were going to get into Karting a second time I'd also pay attention the the WKA classes. IIRC they do have the tag classes. You could also call Frankland Motorsports Inc in Frankland,WI 1-414-764-1884 & ask for Jamie. He & his dad George own the place. They will have the low down on not only WKA karting but all other Karting in the states. Next time I see my son I'll ask him what the overall latest trend with Kart classes is in this part of the country & let you know.

Those rental Karts at your track look like they could be a bunch of fun with the right people in them. I'd drive up for that. :023: Bet Bill would travel for fun.

& if you decide to travel a couple times a year you could always come on down to Dousman, WI where there are 200 to 240 Karts in 12 classes for 18 Sundays through the summer.

benracin
02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the tips! I just can't wait to be able to toss all my racing supplies including the car into the back of a pickup! 10 miles a gallon just isn't fun anymore. BLECH!

benracin
03-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Well, the garage clearance continues with a piece that I'm really sad to see go. You can find my beloved Isaac in the classifieds I'm afraid. I think I'll put it on and wear it around the house for ole times sake. My van and trailer are even on the chopping block! I think the trailer is gone already though. By the time I'm done I should be able to fit 2 daily driver cars into my 2 car garage instead of one race car. Kind of sad but I know my wife has been waiting our entire 2 year marriage to park in the garage. Some day baby!