PDA

View Full Version : DIY vs. Bought Air Intake Systems

gran racing
02-20-2007, 08:44 AM
I will be replacing my air intake system and have been evaluating buying a built system versus building my own. On some of the Prelude forums, people talk about making their own air intakes from tubing bought from J C Whitney. Essentially the process involves cutting a 180 degree mandrel bent tube into a couple of pieces then assembling so that it arrives at the desired location. The cost to make one is inexpensive (less than $50). When looking at some of the intake systems people have built, they look like they are well constructed. When comparing one of these DIY systems to a one-piece system, is there a performance difference (using the same filter)? I know, it would require a dyno to prove it one way or another but am trying to get a general idea.

timrogers
03-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Dave, it took me this long to find my reference page:
http://mgcgti.clarkeandclarke.co.uk/Page38.html

Start off with a length about 5" longer than what the calculations show you need. Your best friends then become a dyno and a hacksaw to get the length right, followed by a mandrel bender to get the shape right.

gran racing
03-04-2007, 01:09 PM
That's an interesting page - thanks!

I've decided to buy one from Justin Poole in your neck of the woods. His custom unit has worked quite well for him and it takes one more of the 'to do' items off my list.