PDA

View Full Version : 84-87 engine stayrod, anyone use one?

anrkii
02-20-2007, 04:30 AM
I was thinking about adding an engine stayrod into the ITB crx.

anyone else using one? where are you mounting it?

I was thinking of putting it from one of the trans>engine bolts to the firewall...

any idears?

R2 Racing
02-20-2007, 08:56 AM
IMO, I'm thinking "Waste of time & effort." I don't think you'll notice any difference at all in anything by doing it. Plus, I kind of wonder what else will end up cracked and/or broken by hard mounting your engine like that. Nothing's designed to endure that. I suppose if you wanted to do something, I'd incorporate a damper maybe, but not a hard, rigid stay-rod. That just scares me.

My advice is to just make sure that you're OEM engine mounts are in great, if not brand new shape. With an engine as light as your EW, that should be more than enough. It's all I've ever done, including with the heavy B-series and "holy hell, that's heavy!" H-series engines.

cbstd
02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I am not certain if this is IT legal, but some guys fill the hollow portion of the EW motor mounts with ureathane glue (the kind used in window installations that dries firm, but slightly spongey). This effectively make the motor mounts stiffer and reduces movement.

Scott

R2 Racing
03-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Nope, that would not be legal for IT. Motor mounts must be stock and unmodified. Being that we're allowed to add an engine stayrod but not stiffer motor mounts baffles me, but it's the rule.

loperdw
03-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Solid engine stayrod? IMO not a good idea, in fact, bad idea... what i have found is that every thing else rattles loose. I've had more than a handfull of bolts work their way out of the car (starter, motor mounts, transmission to engine bolts). Before getting rid of it I would go through the car after a race and find stuff loose that i know i tightend to spec torque. Hope this helps