PDA

View Full Version : How Many Great Lakes Division IT7 drivers?

spdmonkey
02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
I am the current chairman of the GLDIV Regional Champ Series. I have had some requests to bring back IT7 as a seperate class for those '79-'85 Mazda RX-7's with 12A. We did have this as an Area 4 class a few years ago, but had little entries and it was dropped. for this to be reinstated we need to know that there will be entries. Let me know if you are going to run in GLDIV as a GLDIV driver. I know the IT festival intends to run IT7, but as this is a restricted regional it is not eligible for the champ series. If you know of a IT7 driver have them contact me so we can finalize the rules package. there will not be a spec tire in IT7.

dave brown
Great Lakes Regional Champ Series Chairman

R2 Racing
02-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I have had some requests to bring back IT7 as a seperate class for those '79-'85 Mazda RX-7's with 12A.
[/b]
I'm surprised it took Phil this long! :D

IMO, with all of the reclassifications in ITA and weight adjustments, those RX-7's have the ability to compete in ITA much better than they use to. Plus, there just aren't very many of them anymore (at least around here). The guy who won IT7 at the ARRC last year started first in a split-start (i.e. at the very back of the ITA field, and then some), and was able to work himself up through the ITA field to a 6th place overall finish. Actually, the top three IT7 cars finished 6th, 10th, and 12th overall despite starting at the back of the 25 ITA cars who took the green flag. Again, IMO, they can compete in ITA at the right tracks, with the right build, and with the right driver.

Now I'm looking forward to the stoning I'll be receiving from them this summer if it doesn't get approved. :P

lateapex911
02-20-2007, 10:31 AM
kevin thats true, but remember too that the fast guy you speak of was 2.3 seconds a lap off the pace.

And that 5 of the top 6 IT7 cars were from GA or SC, with only one guy in that group traveling more than 200 miles or so. (he was 1000 away).

And none of the top 6 ITA cars were from 500 miles of RA, so no local knowledge advantage.

I will be bringing my car out to the Mid O event, and was thinking about IT7. But....not if there's a spec tire. I hope they follow the ARRCs lead on that.

R2 Racing
02-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Jake, I'm thinking I may of had a brain fart. Did IT7 get a split start last year at the ARRC or not? I thought they did, but now I'm second guessing myself. I can't remember.....damn :birra: .

I hear you on the local knowledge versus the out-of-region guys, but look at who was running up front in that run group. All pretty proven cars and drivers who've run that event several times. I'm just not ready to still write off the RX-7 as a car that can't be competitive in ITA. Would I build one? No. But that's because of that horrible sound they make, not because of their speed. :P

Really, it makes no difference to me at all if the GLDiv decides to include IT7 as a seperate class this year or not. But, it was taken away once before due to lack of interest and I certainly don't see any more of them running around out there. Combine that with the fact that they currently have the potential to be more competitive in ITA than they have in recent years (which was the original point of IT7), and I just don't see the cause. But really, it doesn't make a difference to me. All it will end up in doing is creating more unused trophys at the end of the year.

ITS5GB
02-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I plan on using this year to develop my car but will not be traveling....only racing the 6 weekends at Waterford. '08 will be the year for me to travel from my "backyard" track. Hopefully some form of IT7 stays around.

lateapex911
02-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Kevin, yea, srangley enough, they decided to not split it this year. Not sure why, it's been split in the past as far as I can remember. (But thats only a few years.)

Also, the weight was chosen as thats as light as the cars can get, Not sure if anyone expects the car to become one of the fast 5 ITA cars. (CRX, 240SX, Teg, NX2000, & Miata)

No matter, it will be fun getting my butt handed to me by Mid Ohio experts in addition to Road Atlanta experts, LOL.

I plan on using this year to develop my car but will not be traveling....only racing the 6 weekends at Waterford. '08 will be the year for me to travel from my "backyard" track. Hopefully some form of IT7 stays around. [/b]

Awww, c'mon Greg, break out to Ohio just once!

Hahn63
02-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Dave

I don't think you'll have the numbers, lots of them have gone away to other areas of the country. I am also of the opinion that the rx7 could be very competitive should one spend the time and money required.( I can hear all the hate mail now) :014: . As a RX 7 driver I am quite happy running in ITA and would not be interested in running under IT7. Thank you for your time looking into this , I'll be interested in hearing what other RX7 guys have to say.

Roland :eclipsee_steering:

downingracing
02-22-2007, 07:30 AM
We've got one out at the shop - don't know who (if anyone) will be driving it this year... Might make it out to a few Mid-Ohio events.