PDA

View Full Version : What is a PDX

Ron
02-17-2007, 06:34 PM
At SCCA events down here in the south they are listing a PDX event with certain race weekends. What is that? I think it is some sort of track day event but what is the whole story? Could one of the guys on my crew drive my car in that event? I can put a second seat in the car. Any help would be great.

JimLill
02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
At SCCA events down here in the south they are listing a PDX event with certain race weekends. What is that? I think it is some sort of track day event but what is the whole story? Could one of the guys on my crew drive my car in that event? I can put a second seat in the car. Any help would be great.
[/b]

http://www.scca.org/Club/Index.asp?IdS=022...90&x=030|015&~= (http://www.scca.org/Club/Index.asp?IdS=022196-875BF90&x=030|015&~=)

TAC
02-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Ron,

A PDX is a Performance Driving eXperience. It is an SCCA sanctioned driving school that has three levels. A first level PDX usually is broken into 3 groups. Novice w/instructor, Intermediate w/ instructor for 1st session of the day and instructor group.

Crew member must be a SCCA member. The 2nd seat installation would have to pass a tech inspection.

Other than that you should be good to go.

Ron
02-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Yes my crew member is an SCCA member, I had read the SCCA web site eariler before my first post But it only said street car. Nextone, if I carry my national license can I instruct my crew member. I know I should contact the SCCA directly, but you all seem to know the inside line much better.

dickita15
02-19-2007, 06:38 AM
From the TT rules. IT cars are okay if you put in a second racing seat, belts and a window net:

3. Drive a vehicle which meets the inspection required in TTR Section 11. Proof of current
Annual Tech Inspection in Time Trials or Club Racing shall meet these requirements. Window
net and arm restraint requirements are waived for cars that meet the definition of street legal.
Street legal is defined as a car which meets local requirements for inspection (if applicable) and
the car in question possess CURRENT, VALID license and registration. Vehicles that are not
street legal must be eligible for classification in the GCR classes of Showroom Stock, Touring, or
Improved Touring, or the Solo 2 classes of Stock, Street Touring, Street Prepared, or Street Mod.
No vehicles that are prepared beyond these allowances shall be permitted to participate. Open wheel cars are not allowed. All cars MUST have a passenger seat with a 3 point seat belt, both meeting DOT requirements as a minimum. Passenger seats with the same safety equipment as the driver seat are highly recommended.

Instructor rules. Don’t call national, the opinion that matters is the 3 officials at the event:
We have interpreted that a club racing license qualifies.

All other instructors must hold a TT Competition license or higher. Exceptions to this may be made on an individual basis by unanimous agreement of the TT Chief Steward, TT Safety Steward, and Chief Driving Instructor for that event (e.g. – other clubs licensed instructors and/or drivers). All instructors must be SCCA
members, but a Temporary Membership shall meet this requirement. BMWCCA and PCA Instructor Licenses shall fulfill the licensing requirement.

Matt Rowe
02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I am the TT Program Manager for NEDIV so I can answer you're questions with some degree of certainty, but your local officials will still have final say at the event.

Students do not need to be SCCA members, although temporary memberships are typically available at a minimum. And why not encouage them to be members.

Street cars are the norm, but an IT car with a passenger seat and equivilant protection should be accepted.

A National comp license does not automatically qualify someone to be an instructor, let's face it some personalities are just not suited to instructing. Also, keep in mind this is "high performance driving" not racing. You are trying to teach people car control and finding the fastest safe way around the track. I typically talk to potential instructors about the experience as well as the attitude and we generally don't turn away instructors without at least having them work at one event and seeing how they interact with the students.

Finally, the Chief Steward and Chief Instructor are the two people you should contact. I'm guessing they would be glad to have another instructor and the chief steward can comment on what types of cars they are allowing.

Good Luck!

Ron
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the information. I understand that it is all about car control and not racing. THe one guy on my crew has always wanted to try it. We have rented out a small track near us in Alabama for a privite test and he drove there, he just wants more.

Matt Rowe
02-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Ron,

It sounds like a great oppourtunity for you crew member, I hope you can work things out and he has a blast. The only downside is if he decides driving is more fun and he ends up to busy help crew for you. :D

Ron
02-20-2007, 09:48 AM
No it would be great, we would just build another car and add it to the stable. I know there are a lot of people out there on a race weekend that would love to see the track, try to learn a little about driving faster and safer. Heck even my wife who has sat around for years at the track was interested in trying her hand at it.
I will tell you this. I am spoiled, when we go to the track we usually have a crew of 6 to 8 guys and girls. It is great, I get to act as "crew cheif" what ever that means and just ask for things to get done. Things like brakes and other very important stuff I only let one guy do, but we play with all kinds of stuff just to keep everyone busy. Things like fuel mileage, temps on everything etc... are always done. I see these PDX events as a way of thanking the crew and letting them get a little taste of what being on track is all about. If they decide to want more, GREAT!

bhudson
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Ron - if you're looking to do the PDX at Road Atlanta, don't bother with the passenger seat for your racecar. We're running these during Sunday Quiet Time, so it's limited to street cars. Check out the PDX supps on www.atl-scca.org or contact Butch Kummer or Britt Ponder. You can find their contact info on Atlanta Region's site under 2007 Officers.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region Membership Chairman

NutDriverRighty
02-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Bob,

If I'm working F&C for the event, do I get a discount for the PDX? I've got the old Miata (with a hard top) and just got a Civic Si that I'd love to thrash around out there. Opinions?

Scott "Righty" Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

bhudson
02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Per the supps for PDX, it's $20 for workers. You can even run for no charge if you do not accept the Wal-Mart card.

Bob Hudson
Atlanta Region Membership Chairman

chuck schultz
03-04-2007, 11:08 AM
This is a very cool program implemented by the Atlanta region, using a PDX sanction to reward workers while putting otherwise-unusable quiet time to use. Race drivers are asked to work corners and instruct for the PDX, and race volunteers get a couple on-track sessions instead of a t-shirt and a gas card. I participated in two out of the three made available, last season, and look forward to the next, in a few weeks.

In some ways, it's a "job appreciation day," as well, with drivers learning something about corner working, and corner workers getting to see how hard it is to be aware of the signals while trying to drive quickly around the track. My favorite quote from a 20-year corner worker: "I didn't see one flag station anywhere on the track in either session, until my instructor pointed out a black flag they were showing me."

Spots not used by volunteers are made available to others, for $100, which is about right for a half-day PDX. Then these folks get to watch some good club racing, as well, and may find that they like it.

All in all, a great benefit for volunteers with lots of other positives, too.

Thank you Atlanta Region, and thank you drivers!