PDA

View Full Version : Hey VW just keeps getting it right!

shwah
02-16-2007, 07:39 AM
IT contingency program (http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/07-VW-Club-Reg.pdf)

claim form (http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/07-VW-Club-Claim.pdf)

:happy204:

Now lets go :eclipsee_steering:

gran racing
02-16-2007, 07:54 AM
That is very, very cool. I'm can only guess that Honda doesn't do this because they'd go broke in the process. Ha, ha?

RSTPerformance
02-16-2007, 08:50 AM
That is very, very cool. I'm can only guess that Honda doesn't do this because they'd go broke in the process. Ha, ha?
[/b]

I don't think it would be you breaking the bank, but others yes... :cavallo:

Congrats to VW for offering a great program!!! I saw 1st paid $150!!!

However I must admit, I think it is time to go race Production!!!! Betweeen the Hoosier Contingency and the VW Contingency in New England, racing could be almost free ;)

Raymond

Knestis
02-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the support, Volkswagen!

K

itracer
02-16-2007, 09:42 AM
However I must admit, I think it is time to go race Production!!!! Betweeen the Hoosier Contingency and the VW Contingency in New England, racing could be almost free ;)[/b]

Production can't make the numbers :) This one would get you:
A minimum number of competitors are required to be eligible for awards.
3 competitors = 1st and 2nd awards only; 2 competitors = 1st place award only.

Also, if you run production or SS, you don't get payout for running regionals.

Knestis
02-16-2007, 02:17 PM
My registration forms just went in the mailbox. Anyone beat me to it? :026:

K

JamesB
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM
ill get to that tonight sometime. Never know I could somehow see the field of 10-12 cars in front of me drop out in some bizzare situation.

shwah
02-16-2007, 03:14 PM

K
[/b]
Mine is getting put together tonight and mailed this weekend.

JimLill
02-16-2007, 03:24 PM

K
[/b]

I faxed mine at 9AM today

pballance
02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
That is really cool! Did anyone else notice that it only says you have to have the VW stickers on the vehicle. It doesn't say it must be a VW product. hmmmm or is this another IIDSYCYC?

shwah
02-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Ha Ha. Nice catch. Something tells me that will be buttoned up shortly.

Sandro
02-16-2007, 07:54 PM
looks like I chose a good time to join ITB

darn school is only in May

racer14itc
02-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Now this comes out.

Last year would have been worth at least $2,400 to me. :mad1:

MC

jlinfert
02-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Now this comes out.

Last year would have been worth at least $2,400 to me. :mad1:

MC
[/b]
It sure would have Mark. And it looks like ALL of us get a shot at some dough not just guys running newer cars. Can you say V-DUB IN THE HOUSE!!!!!

Jeff

Knestis
02-17-2007, 08:35 AM
We should probably thank Mark and a few others for paving the way for this kind of involvement by the VW corporate types, putting older Dubs out there in the spotlight for us.

THANKS MARK!

K

racer14itc
02-17-2007, 09:48 AM
My pleasure, Kirk. I'm going to take this year off to re-charge the battery/bank account etc., but I'll be back in '08 loaded for bear and ready to collect some of that VW $$$. :OLA:

Let's get those VW's out there and ring that cash register!! :smilie_pokal:

MC

shwah
02-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey Mark - so we won't see you at the Sprints this year? It is looking like that will be a great GP contest, with a fair number of fast guys planning to make the trip. Datsuns, Suzukis, VWs Oh my!

If someone didn't know your $2400 post was tongue in cheek, they might think you were looking a gift horse in the mouth :P

racer14itc
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Hey Mark - so we won't see you at the Sprints this year? It is looking like that will be a great GP contest, with a fair number of fast guys planning to make the trip. Datsuns, Suzukis, VWs Oh my!

If someone didn't know your $2400 post was tongue in cheek, they might think you were looking a gift horse in the mouth :P
[/b]

Hi Chris,

No, we won't be at the Sprints this year, but look for us in '08. After 12 years of racing, 3 championships in the last six years (2001 SARRC ITC, 2004 & 2006 SEDIV GP), 3 top 10 finishes in a row at the Runoffs...I'm pooped. It's time to take my wife on some vacations that are NOT racing related! :023:

Also, there are some things I need to do on the car to take it to the next level where you guys are...like carving up the front & rear suspensions, do some c/f work like you've done, etc., and that is hard to do while racing during the season. You guys have raised the bar and I saw at Topeka I needed to do some serious work in order to keep up at the Runoffs. I wish I had a great crew like you guys working on MY car!! :cavallo:

So you guys have a GREAT '07 season and I'll be pulling for Chuck to repeat at the '07 Runoffs. :smilie_pokal:

MC

shwah
02-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Good luck with the development project Mark, and to your dad on his build :023: . Who knows I may make my move to F when you get back out there. :eclipsee_steering:

It is a visious cycle. We already know we need to find significant improvements to keep up with the front runners in 2007. Scary. :o

Bill Miller
02-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Definately cool!!! :023:

Now, if we can just get some factory go-fast parts!!!!

Conover
02-18-2007, 12:02 AM
YAY! Now let's go racing! Anyone want to buy a Pablo clone?

Jeremy Billiel
02-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Perhaps I am being cynical and I don't mean to rain on the VW parade, but is it just me or do I see this as a last ditch effort from VW to try and sell the rabbit?

At the end of the day it's good for the racers, especially the racers who drive the good olde VW's that were actually reliable. VW is in the same boat as GM, Ford and Chrysler. They are all failing companies with major reliability problems. The A3 golf never did anything in the market place and the new rabbit is trying to reinvent this enthusiasm. This program along with the new Golf series I see as this effort. Money loosing propositions for VW, in order to make the golf again.

I am curious do VW's racers feel this same way? This thread is not a knock, rather I am curious what your feelings are to this.

Conover
02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Jeremy, I'm not Mr. Marketplace, but I don't think VW is in anywhere near as much trouble as GM or Ford. Their hold on the European market is pretty strong, and they don't overbuild stock usually they build what they think they will sell. I think they are trying to promote the GTI Cup, wich is an effort to sell GTI's. Of course it's marketing, it's nice to see the marketing efforts back on the race track again!

JimLill
02-18-2007, 10:28 AM
When you consider what ad costs are for magazines and TV production and distribution, $300K is a pitance and thus money well-spent (Thanks VW). I'd guess 99+% of the $ that come into racing from companies is for marketing benefit.

Greg Amy
02-18-2007, 10:35 AM
...effort from VW to try and sell the rabbit?[/b]
Isn't that the whole point of marketing via racing?

You don't think that manufacturers spend so much money on racing because they're fans, do you?

TimM ITB
02-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Whether you would consider this "last ditch" or not is debatable, but this is definitely a marketing program. And why not? The old saying "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" has been around for as long as they've been racing (in the U.S. anyway). Think about the marques that currently feature some sort of bragging rights about their race program (Audi, Mazda, Acura, Toyota and then there's Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge and even Cadillac and Pontiac andn more). Actually, now that I think about it, VW may have been one of the very few NOT to promote racing as part of its overall marketing strategy. And the strange-ness of that is that they've been racing and winning for years in Europe!

Although the program ain't perfect, it is a serious step forward for VW racers. Having the "factory" pay attention to ALL of us racers (National AND Regional) is major. And the way they set it up, they will reward race wins and overall championships. Good for bragging rights for them, great for us that race VW's.

And if it helps them sell Rabbits, GTi's, Jettas, etc - then it worked. If not, at least we racers had a little help for a time!

lateapex911
02-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Mmm...ok...i kinda see where Jeremy is coming from, but I wouldn't go so far to say they are desperate.

I think what we are seeing is a company that lost it's way with the desire to push up market...WAY upmarket, with the Phaeton program and such. Which was a dismal failure, because at least here in the states, nobody wanted to spend big time Mercedes money on a VDub.....no matter how goood the product actually was.

So I see this as more of a return to roots effort, and somebody in HQ remembered the days of old and Rabbits and racing and said, :"Hey guys, remember when? We did that stuff pretty well...that is what we do, and we should try it again....and maybe we can recover some of the old fan base too."

It's a bit odd, as the SCCA demographic isn't young by any means, so you'd think they'd be going after the youth market differently, but I'm not complaining. I hope they see the investment here as one that will sell cars through refferal marketing.

JimLill
02-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Desparate = Chevy HHR ad with the windshield washing & "men" dancing...........

Jeremy Billiel
02-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I am not questioning the marketing logic of Win on Sunday and Drive on Monday as this is well known. What I am questioing is the logic behind using it. This seems like it was put in place as a last ditch effort to try and fix the VW issue in America. Inteteresting point Jake as I agree the SCCA market is not young, but perhaps they can make the VW cool again by using this race footage in ads, etc.

This reminds me of the crazy incentive programs Ford, GM and Mopar did a couple years back. It was an all out war to loose money, just to sell cars. When you look at solid manufactors like Honda, Toyota and Nissan there usually is no haggling on price, no rebates, etc. Factory support is far and few between because the name sells the product.

Perhaps, I have turned this into a Marketing debate? Carry on...

Conover
02-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Am I missing something? I was under the impression that VW as a global company was fairly stable and secure. I know that it's been hard to sell cars in the US lately, everyone seems to want trucks, but VW isn't struggling to stay alive, right?

Jeremy Billiel
02-18-2007, 02:28 PM
After reading many articles from Business Week to CNN to journal publications, VW has a lot of serious problems as well. Porsche continue to buy more stock and interest in the company as it does poorly. They laid off significant amounts of people in Europe. They loose money on every golf and Jetta they sell in Germany, have poor sales and TERRIBLE reliability. I recall them being in the bottom 5 for 3 years running in reliability and customer satifaction.

I haven;t dug up these articles, but look out there. There are quite a few issues. Oh and the Board is currently being shook up to attempt to turn the company around.

shwah
02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
I see this as more of a return of the program that went down in Lockerbie. VW lost several key execs in that tragedy, including those responsible for bringing over the Screaming Yellow Zonker, and the only US Spec Rallye Golfs in existence (2 or 3 of them). VWoA lost its way for a while (a few times), and this is certainly an effort to build the image, and support some of the core faithful that played a role in maintaining a core brand fanbase during that period.

pfcs49
02-18-2007, 09:57 PM
VW has certainly demonstrated an absolute lack of good sense for a long time. The A1 GTI played a huge part in creating a new, adolescent customer base after years of Bell Labs types driving stodgy Beetles.
Then the A2 GTI was hugely successful in creating a huge cult-like youth market.
Then came the A3 in 93, and no GTI until 97? WTF were they thinking?
The Golf !V: bigger but not much better.
The new Golf V? Way over 3,000 lbs! A neat car (I drive one) but hardly seat of the pants anymore.
I wish they'd bring over a GTI Polo and get back to basics. (I wish IT would too!)
Intersting thing though, this new GTI cup with 2.0Turbo DI gas motor
and DSG sequential boxes. Working on a FBW (fly by wire) steering wheel throttle ring has been satisfying some of my grief of not having my ITB car lately.
I've already got a killer brake/hand throttle FBW in the street car; If I could resolve some problems with the steering wheel throttles, I could sure drive the hell out of it! Hmm.
phil

Bill Miller
02-19-2007, 06:10 AM
VW has certainly demonstrated an absolute lack of good sense for a long time. The A1 GTI played a huge part in creating a new, adolescent customer base after years of Bell Labs types driving stodgy Beetles.
Then the A2 GTI was hugely successful in creating a huge cult-like youth market.
Then came the A3 in 93, and no GTI until 97? WTF were they thinking?
The Golf !V: bigger but not much better.
The new Golf V? Way over 3,000 lbs! A neat car (I drive one) but hardly seat of the pants anymore.
I wish they'd bring over a GTI Polo and get back to basics. (I wish IT would too!)
Intersting thing though, this new GTI cup with 2.0Turbo DI gas motor
and DSG sequential boxes. Working on a FBW (fly by wire) steering wheel throttle ring has been satisfying some of my grief of not having my ITB car lately.
I've already got a killer brake/hand throttle FBW in the street car; If I could resolve some problems with the steering wheel throttles, I could sure drive the hell out of it! Hmm.
phil
[/b]

Phil,

They had A3 GTI's prior to '97, it was just that they only came w/ a VR6. That being said, I totally agree w/ you, VW has lost their way in terms of what made them so popular w/ enthusiasts to begin with. I refuse to call that new, bloated pig a 'Rabbit'. It may be inexpensive (compared to similar cars of today), but it's no Rabbit, that's for sure. That's like that Korean thing Pontiac had in the 90's that they called a LeMans.

JimW337
02-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Just faxed in my registration form, I think that beats anybody's snail mail form! Plus it's Presidents' Day so no mail for you today.

I didn't see anyong post the registartion form, just in case you filled out the claim form by mistake.

Registration Form (http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/07-Club-Reg-Reg.pdf)

Now, if I can just get the new decals on the new paint in time for Rockingham!

Jim

Knestis
02-19-2007, 12:42 PM
It's silly, I know but this kind of kindles my enthusiasm for running the Rock - helps me get over the bummer about not going to VIR. It sounds like Chris Schimmel will be there w/his Golf II and I know that Floyd has entered B in his Honda, so there will be a race...

K

Bildon
02-19-2007, 12:47 PM
>> but is it just me or do I see this as a last ditch effort from VW to try and sell the rabbit?

It's just you.. :D The person responsible has been working on a motorsports program for a LONG time.

>> VW may have been one of the very few NOT to promote racing as part of its overall marketing strategy.

VW had one of the largest Rally and Road Racing factory support organizations in North America for 10 years prior to the drought. Series like SuperVee, Bilstein Cup, Golf Cup and FACTORY supported teams in Rally and Road Racing were prevalent in the 80's. VWoA ditched racing on a mandate from Wolfsburg in the 90's.

Stay tuned... if things go well I think you'll see a lot more from VW in the future. :023:

I think VW should start offering Touareg towing contingencies :lol:

http://www.autointell.com/News-2003/July-2003/July-2003-1/Touareg-trailer-115.jpg

JimLill
02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
I think VW should start offering Touareg towing contingencies.......
[/b]

With the V10 TDi tow capacity of 7,716lbs it sure would do the job in many cases...........

Bill Miller
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
With the V10 TDi tow capacity of 7,716lbs it sure would do the job in many cases...........
[/b]

Jim,

When the V10 TDI Toureg was announced, I totally lusted after one. I was seriously considering one, until I saw the $60k price tag. And w/ the problems I've heard that the T-regs have, I'm somewhat glad I didn't. VW would have been better served putting that V10 TDI in a full-size p/u ala the Tundra or the Ridgeline, than ever venturing into the Phaeton program.

Conover
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Bill,
You have some unusual ideas about the VW line-up. I see them not having a full size P/U as VW keeping it real. And I like that rabbit thing they've got out now, I'm just waiting for it to come with the compression ignition engine. . .

Knestis
02-20-2007, 11:13 AM
I'd still like to see the Polo here...

K

Bill Miller
02-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Bill,
You have some unusual ideas about the VW line-up. I see them not having a full size P/U as VW keeping it real. And I like that rabbit thing they've got out now, I'm just waiting for it to come with the compression ignition engine. . .
[/b]

I guess you could call them unusual. I just can't get my head around calling something that weighs ~3000# a 'Rabbit'. I guess I've had too many Rabbits as street cars and race cars. And you could view the re-introduction of a p/u as a 'return to roots', giving that the Rabbit p/u version is still pretty damn popular w/ VW enthusiasts. There was no reason to build the Phaeton, and it pretty much went against everything you learn in an undergraduate intro to marketing class. Maybe the Toureg w/ the V10 TDI was only meant to be a test mule, but it will be interesting to see where Audi goes w/ that motor.

And yes, a TDI version of that new car would be cool. I'd really like to see a TDI Polo over here though. There's a car that would be a hoot!

shwah
02-21-2007, 07:07 AM
A few years ago we had a chance to play with a 3 liter Lupo for a while. It was a hoot. The technology they can bring to the table is impressive. It is just a shame that Honda and Toyota seem to understand the value of marketing efficiency to the masses so much more clearly. How long has VW been selling cars that can return 50mpg highway in real life?

On the T-reg TDi, of course it is here again because the truck has enough margin in it to cover the cost of additional emissions equipment now rquired on ci engines. This is why you can buy Mercedes and BMW diesels again (don't know why Audi is still not on to this). Drove a V10 tdi to NJ and back from Chicago when they first came out, also drove a Bentley Continental GT for one tank of gas on that trip - the V10 was more impressive. (no I don't normally own/drive cars like that - our 4door GTI is the first car I ever bought new, 80% of the rest were/are old VWs)

Ralf
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
[/b]

The V6 has the same towing capacity. The V10 just has more grunt to pull it.

imsafanct
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Jeremy,

Come on man! Face it - you just can't get over how I used to whip up on you in your Honda w/ my various VW products when we used to leave East Hampton High School everyday and go balls out down the back roads around Lake Pocotopaug. VW's rock man, and you just have to accept it. The fact that VW racers now have a significant boost in the wallet from VW of America just steams you, dosn't it?

It's not fair to all the VW racers here to be making up stuff that you say you read about in your money magazines in your 150th floor cherry wood executive office in down town Hartford, is it? And you want to talk about reliablity? The only reason my VWs ever broke is OBVIOUSLY because I was the one working on them! We all know that the latest crop of Dubs for sale don't do the trick for us purists, but I doubt many of the fine folks here race anything VW that was built after '95 or so.

You know its been a while since I've been behind the wheel but I've been saving my sheckles...when I saw your Integra for sale, I've gotta say I was considering it...The bug just never leaves you know?

But, I've gotta admit, with this new contingency, I may have to get back to basics and stick w/ what I know...Anyone got an already built IT VW for sale for cheap here in CT?

Wait...I just had a thought...I know whats going on here!...YOU are selling your ITS Integra because you yourself are looking into getting a fine product of Wolfsburg, so YOU yourself can get into some of the VWOA contingency Cool-Aid!!!!!!!!

I thought it was strange to see you posting on these boards! Its about time you came to your senses. Gimme a call, I'd like you to consider renting the Integra to me for a regional sometime! :)

-Eric W.

Eric Parham
03-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I'd still like to see the Polo here...

K
[/b]

Just got back from 2 months in China. The current Polo is an excellent transverse-engined little car with some tasty engine options altready fitted, and I wouldn't blow my nose at the longitudinal-engined Gol either. I'd love to see either one here in the States :) In fact, I seriously considered bringing in a Polo of my own, and that may still happen if I can find the right one anywhere in N. America.

Bildon
03-28-2007, 05:35 PM
VW Motorsport has officially homologated the Polo mk5 for international rally use... FINALLY!
My friends over there have been pulling their hair out because Kris wouldn't sign the FIA paperwork... but it's legal now.

Rene Georges in BE is running the cars. They are VERY cool.
http://www.renegeorges.be/fr/photos.asp?lg=2&menunum=12

It's not a tiny car either. The Polo GTI would be an awesome car to get over here.
http://www.renegeorges.be/images/DSCF0083.jpg

Eric Parham
03-29-2007, 11:52 AM
It's not a tiny car either. The Polo GTI would be an awesome car to get over here.
[/b]

Looks sweet with those race flairs, but definitely looks smaller without. See stock Polo pics at DSCF226-228, 233 and 001 of this link (page 2). 234-236 are some Gols. I didn't see any labeled "GTI". Does "GTI" come with the flairs in addition to the 1.6L 20V?
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=itb44&...1427606&.src=ph (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/album?c=itb44&aid=576460762389593591&pid=&wtok=rMkbcJmKv_vPHrsRV9Cxsw--&ts=1171427606&.src=ph)

EDIT: For size comparison, the bigger white car parked in front of it is just a VW Fox/Quantum/Santana.

Bildon
04-07-2007, 12:30 AM
I didn't see any labeled "GTI"
[/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glfJWywhOLg

:eclipsee_steering:

shwah
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Rumor is GTI Cup will actually be Jetta TDi DSG cars.

Conover
04-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, where is this information that was supposed to be available "soon" I'm becoming impatient!

shwah
04-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Tell me about it. After the quick response on the contingency plan, I have been chomping at the bit to hear more about the series.

This is an accurate rumor though ;)

keycom
04-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I just want my stickers! :026:

Conover
04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
TDI DSG huh? Now I want one even more!! Where is the damn info???

JimLill
04-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Has anybody received or seen the stickers yet?

Knestis
04-29-2007, 06:06 PM
I confirmed two weeks ago that stickers aren't yet available and that they will honor the awards without them. It would be a good idea probably, to have a copy of the email explaining that so the tech inspectors who need to sign the form will know to ignore the direction requiring them to confirm stickers before doing so.

K

JimLill
06-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I confirmed two weeks ago that stickers aren't yet available and that they will honor the awards without them. It would be a good idea probably, to have a copy of the email explaining that so the tech inspectors who need to sign the form will know to ignore the direction requiring them to confirm stickers before doing so.[/b]

any updates on stickers? I am thinking that a way confirm my entry went in..............

Drew Aldred
06-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Here's an email from reply from Jenny White on 5/21/07:

You'll need to complete and submit the VW claim form with a copy of the
official race results. The form is available from the Club Racing -
Contingency page of scca.com. A tech official signature is not required
until the decals are available.

Jenny White
Sports Car Club of America

Dave Zaslow
06-10-2007, 06:34 AM
I got the same response from Jenny. I was also scolded for having an official sign the forms to claim the $. The forms are for certifying the application of the stickers that don't exist. Sigh.... They are sending the check anyway ;-)

DZ

Bildon
06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Rumor is GTI Cup will actually be Jetta TDi DSG cars.
[/b]

Rumor confirmed. My guy at VW Motorsport in Hannover went into the shop to check something on the cars that won the Nurburgring 24 and there it was... Jetta for use in new US series. The crew for the N24 GTIs was working on it. Not sure on the powerplant or transmission. But I'd bet shwah is correct.

keycom
06-26-2007, 05:27 PM
But still no contingency stickers! :018:

shwah
06-26-2007, 09:04 PM
I can't tell you how much less concerned I am with the stickers compared to the checks :P

JimW337
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Here's an email from reply from Jenny White on 5/21/07:
You'll need to complete and submit the VW claim form with a copy of the
official race results. The form is available from the Club Racing -
Contingency page of scca.com. A tech official signature is not required
until the decals are available.

Jenny White
Sports Car Club of America
[/b]

My first ever win this weekend at VIR in a Carolina Cup race, WooHoo! So now I'm ready to send in my Contingency form, what makes the race results official? The results sheet they had out after the race always says provisional results, will this work to send to VW? How about the MyLaps results, the times seem to be official after these results get posted.

Anyone seen any VW stickers yet?

Thanks,
JimW

shwah
08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
I have always just sent in a copy of what they give me at the track. You can also check the region website for 'official' results. Regardless Topeka has access to them as well, so should not be a show stopper.

No stickers have been sent out. I asked some friends that talk to VWoA pretty regularly to let them know how this situation has turned from a feather in their cap, to an illustration of how disorganized they are becuase they can't seem to send out a few stinking VW stickers.

The money still flows though...

JLawton
08-14-2007, 12:23 PM
My first ever win this weekend at VIR in a Carolina Cup race, WooHoo! [/b]

Way to go Jim!!! :happy204: Glad to hear you got the car hooked up!

Beran
08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I have to say I love this VW program. So far this year, I have been paid for 6 wins in my ITB 4 door Mark3! It's adding up. But no stickers. I just made my own based on what I have seen they had on the Polo Cup cars.
I have been trying to find out more about the VW cup series they say they are going to have in 2008. All I have been told is that there are still working on it. I heard rumor that it might be some type of car lease program... Anyone else hear or know anything?

shwah
08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
My contacts are always told they will know something in a few weeks on the cup program....for the last several months.

I do know that the current expectation is TDi, dsg, Jetta cars for the series. However that could change at any point between now and when any real announcements are made.

thedemoguy
08-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I love this VW racing stuff..... I've been racing SCCA so far this year, my first year and I've received $450 from VW and a set of tires from Hoosier....>>>>

I love SCCA racing and boy am I glade I race a VW.................. :026:

Bill super fast Johnson.... :eclipsee_steering:

shwah
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering, after reading the VW contigency claim form...

NO the $1000 payout for division champs does not include IT cars winning 'regional divisional' championships. :(

Cen-Div has run a championsip for regional racers for years, and we were able to win it this year. However, per the GCR only national competitors can win a divisional championship within SCCA rules, thus Topeka didn't think to specify that on the claim forms (which do include regional and national classes on the payout schedule).

A bit of a bummer, but at least I won $600 over the course of the year.

keycom
10-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Got my (first :D ) check from VW last week, won in my FIRST RACE EVER!

OK, I know it was a fluke, but I'll still take it.

Really wish they would expand it for us IT guys though to encourage the entry level players.

Still no decals though! :P

rabbidmk1
10-30-2007, 06:16 PM
That is too bad that you dont get the $1000 Chris... But at least you got double of my $300 from VW!

The car is already up in the air for possible winter tear down!

Conover
10-30-2007, 10:18 PM
so what's this I'm hearing about a supposed 2008 VW GTI cup from SCCA??

rabbidmk1
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
if that is the case you can count me in for the 2009 season...

shwah
10-31-2007, 12:35 AM
There is some commentary about this earlier in this thread.

It has morphed into a tdi Jetta cup, but at the rate that information (and contingency sticker packages) flows out of VW may well change again before any racing takes place. Most comments have suggested an arrive and drive flavor, focused on 'young' drivers. In reality I don't think anyone inside or outside VW knows what the plan is at this point.

Something will happen though. How is that for clarity?

joeg
10-31-2007, 07:24 AM
SCCA has no solid info on that proposed Cup series either?

shwah
10-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Coincidentally, this popped up today...

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vol...icle_2088.shtml (http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_2088.shtml)

Grumpa
11-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I believe VDub is pandering to the boyracer import crowd with the Jetta Cup.

The Jetta TDI race vehicles will be outfitted with a six-speed automatic DSG® transmission, quote from the press release on vwvortex. I think the operation of a manual gearbox may be too perplexing for some participants. Perhaps the series officials will give give "Oo-Aah" points to competitors for "Best Race Drift", too.

That aside, got my first $150 check from VDub this past week. :026:

Might have gotten $300 had I a good clutch in the Saturday race. <_<

[email protected] says "No stickers until next year." :018: