PDA

View Full Version : How to bite off more than you can chew

pballance
02-15-2007, 08:35 AM
I have submitted the following story for the local region newsletter. I thought I would share it here as well. This is the first time I have tried to write down how I felt about something I was involved in. It has been interesting and I hope you find it interesting as well.

Paul

How to bite off more than you can chew

A Driver’s school story
I was introduced to sports cars by a High school Chemistry teacher who asked me if I could come and work a regional road race held at a closed airport. She set the hook and I liked what I saw so much I began autocrossing in the mid ‘70’s when it was still called slalom. I really enjoyed TSD rally’s and crewed for local racers in their IMSA racing efforts. I went through “Crash and Burn school” at Road Atlanta and even got to drive a Cadillac Ambulance around Road Atlanta at speed. I was captivated with sports cars and the competition. I got married and although my wife tolerated my passion she hated the track. I drifted from sports cars until my retirement.

I retired after 25 years as a police officer in a medium sized community in North Alabama. I somehow managed to convince my wife that I needed a car that got better gas mileage than my Suburban now that the “company” car was gone. I started looking at 2-seater sports cars and was quickly reminded by the team owner that we still had two young (12 and 5 at the time) children at home and informed that “you are not buying a two-seater car.” I started looking for other “fun” cars that would seat 4 persons and while an M series BMW fit the bill it was out of my price range. I finally bought a Mazda RX8 and rediscovered the same sports car thrills I had experienced so many years ago. The local car club was still in existence and was having a 50th anniversary celebration later that year. I entered the Anniversary autox, did poorly, but had a blast not only with the car but seeing old friends.

The bug had returned and although I only attended a couple of events in ’05 I decided to go all out in ‘06. Spare wheels purchased, “R” compounds mounted, Koni shocks and I was ready. I didn’t do too badly in ’06 but my class had two National level competitors who soundly beat me almost every time. Late in the year I finally started “scaring” them by getting within a few tenths of their times.

This past November I traveled from North Alabama to Springfield Missouri to purchase a 1972 Datsun 240Z ITS Race car. I had owned a 240Z and have always dreamed of racing one. Life happens and that dream was delayed for more than 25 years but the time had arrived. After an uneventful 8+ hour trip with a borrowed trailer I arrived in Springfield, Missouri and picked up the car. While I could tell it needed some work, it was better than the phone calls and emails had described. The seller and I loaded the car, spares and then went over the logbook. Everything seemed in order, I bid him farewell, and took my prize to the hotel for a night of rest before the long trip home.

When I arrived home my daily driver lost its spot in the garage and the new toy took its place. With help from friends (including some new ones met through ImprovedTouring.com) I began the process of updating the car and preparing for an SCCA Race Drivers School to be held at Roebling Road Race course near Savannah, Georgia. EBay was my friend as I was able to locate many parts I needed to replace the braking system without breaking the budget. I should thank my wife as she purchased the Driver’s Suit I wanted as a Christmas present.

In January, after less $$$ than I anticipated I took the car to the local SCCA scrutineer for an annual inspection. While not perfect and still needing Roll Bar padding I PASSED! O Boy, I was finally ready for school having already obtained a Novice Permit.

Finally it was time to go to school. I made the 8 hour trip to the track accompanied by a friend who had rented a Spec Racer Ford for the weekend. We arrived at track and paddocked the car. Several more friends were coming down on Friday to root us on and help as crewmembers. We had a nice dinner that evening and retired to the hotel for a good nights rest.

Fast forward to Driver’s School Day 1. I cleared tech w/o any problems and joined nearly 100 other students in the first classroom session. The lead instructor took us through the paces and assisted by workers we learned the flags and were admonished by the Chief Steward to OBEY the flags. We all took the long walk around the course, the proper lines pointed out and discussions of how to drive through each corner. The instructor told us to return the next morning for a station wagon track tours with our assigned instructors.

After the tours it was the moment of truth. I got suited up and tried to start the car. It flooded. After several frantic moments it fired and I headed to the grid. Waiting to enter the track I was afraid the car would die, and sure enough it did. Finally got it running and out on track for the first time. It was follow the leader and the car just didn’t want to run. It was running so rich I was fogging the guys behind me. I made it through the session and went to work to try and fix the problem.

It has been years since I fooled with SU carbs and luckily a Datsun wizard offered to help me out. That really is the great thing about SCCA, everyone tried to help me get the car running like it should. After another bad running car session Don Ahrens rescued me. He had helped me on the grid and noticed the front carb was flooding out. I adjusted the float level in between sessions and all of a sudden I had a running car. With Don’s help we adjusted the idle mixture levels and for the last session of the day I actually was able to drive the car. I finally felt good and felt like I was learning the track but something still wasn’t quite right. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but something didn’t feel right.

It was a totally new experience, running at speed with traffic. There were several “ground pounders” in my run group along with a GT3 Porsche, winged Mustangs, and a blindingly fast Mitsubishi. I tried hard to stay on line and wave the fast guys by my slower ITS car. I am sure I frustrated some of them as much as I was frustrated by the problems. I was learning the course, had actually passed a couple of people and generally had a great time.

At the evening drivers meeting we all got chewed out for passing under yellow flags. It seems that 1 in 3 of us had passed under yellow and the Steward of the Meet was not a happy camper. After getting our tail chewed it was time to get some food and sleep. My run group was to be the first group out in the morning.

Saturday dawned beautifully, bright sun, crisp temperatures and a wet track. It had rained most of the evening so we were going to get a drying track first thing not to mention the standing water. The car was running well, actually quite well. While I didn’t really get a chance to find out how well with the track conditions what they were I felt good and so did the car. This was our first timed session but the conditions made numbers meaningless. No real problems with the car but I hadn’t really tested the brakes or handling with a wet track.

Session 2 arrived and we had a clean, dry track. Out I went and started to work on my braking into turn 1 and turn in point at 8. Things were running along pretty well. I was getting faster, shifting into 4th sooner coming through 8 and having a pretty good time. I started diving deeper into 1 and thought I was having a pretty good session until I rounded turn 5 and saw a black flag with my number at 6. I acknowledged the flag and entered the pits to be greeted by the SOM. It seems that my previous lap pass of a vintage 911 Porsche, who was having mechanical problems and waving me around, I failed to see the yellow being displayed at 8. While I did see the flag after the pass, it was most likely displayed before I made the pass. The SOM was none too happy, but he politely explained life to me and sent me back out. After that incident I just motored around for a lap and half before the session was over.

As I got out of the car in the paddock I still felt something wasn’t right. My crew even asked how come I wasn’t grinning from ear to ear as they have seen me at other events. I still couldn’t put my finger on what was bothering me, but clearly it was noticeable. I shrugged it off and went to meet with my instructor. My instructor said all 4 of us were doing well and to continue to work on our lines and brake points. As I walked back to the car I wasn’t sure I wanted to go back out. The traffic was a pain, I was frustrated by my missing of the flag, but something just wasn’t right. I just didn’t have the will to get back in the car. I was unsure of me, the car, and quite honestly I was scared that I would cause someone else to get hurt because of my actions or missing of a flag. I sure didn’t want to do that, but I wasn’t willing to quite either. I forced myself back into the car for another session still not sure I wanted to go out.

Session 3 was great. I was getting quicker and it was reflected in falling lap times. I had started to gain enough confidence through 7-8 that I was almost at full throttle at the apex leading into the incredibly long front straight. I was braking later at 1 and carrying a better speed out of 2. In fact, I had actually started hitting 4th just before making the left hand at 3. My confidence was growing, but it was damn hard work. I kept waiting for the fun factor to hit and it never did. One time coming out of 2 I apexed a little early and the car got sideways with me. I kept my foot in it and managed to get back on line. It actually felt good to catch it and continue but it wasn’t fun and I still didn’t know why. My head was just not in the game. As I came in from the session I began questioning why I wanted to even be on track.

During the lunch break I fully realized that I just wasn’t mentally ready for driver’s school. I just didn’t have the right frame of mind, was not having the fun I expected, and as hard as it is to admit, I was just plain scared I was going to hurt someone else or myself. That is hard to say, even now. I am not the kind of guy who runs away. Never have been. I faced many, many challenges during my time as a police officer, but I was always able to perform. Not this time. My confidence was shaken and my heart just wasn’t in it. I didn’t want to let down my friends who had traveled such a long way to help me at the school, but I didn’t think I could continue.

I talked with my instructor, who just happened to be a police officer, and told him that I had decided that I was not going back on track this weekend. We talked about 10 minutes but I still was not comfortable going on track. I had lost my nerve, plain and simple, and I still couldn’t figure out why and that bothered me as much as losing my confidence. A couple of fellow drivers talked with me and urged me to continue, but I told them both that I just wasn’t ready.
Without any fanfare I withdrew from the school. I got to watch the groups practice and the first of the two practice races on Saturday afternoon. It was fun to watch and I still hope to be out there with them someday, just not right now.

During the long drive home I had plenty of time to over-analyze what I had just gone through. I think I figured out why I lost my confidence. There are just so many challenges at a driver’s school it is easy to be overwhelmed. I was plain and simply overwhelmed by the combination of the traffic, speeds, flags etc. But it was not those things that left me unsure. It was the car. I did not have confidence in the car. I had never driven the 240 at speed before, did not know how it would react and I didn’t trust my rebuild of the brakes, I had never experienced the limits of the suspension. Bottom line, I was scared of the car as well of all of the other things I had to confront. It was easy for me to equate my fears to some of the absolutely frightening things I encountered as a police officer.

Even though I went into very dangerous, scary situations as a police officer I never lost my nerve (or so I think). Why? It was my equipment. I had confidence that if I needed a gun, it would fire, that the radio on my side would allow me to call for help, the bullet proof vest would stop bullets, and my training would allow me to shoot well. If I had that same level of confidence in my car, it would have made all of the scary parts of driver’s school manageable. But I didn’t have the confidence in the car. I had recently purchased it, updated it, and reworked the entire braking system but I had not driven it at speed until the school. Not only that, I had problems with the carbs after it seemed to run fine at home. What else was going to break? It caused me to second guess everything aspect of the school and my preparation of the 240.

Long and short of it, I bit off more than I could chew this time. I rushed to attend the school without spending a sufficient amount of time behind the wheel of the new car. I had spent very little time behind the wheel of this car and never at speed. I didn’t know how it would handle at the limits. What peculiarities of this car had I missed? This might not have bothered me had I been 30 or so years younger. But now it did and it scared me enough that I dropped out of driver’s school.

A piece of advice to anyone thinking about attending drivers school; make sure you have confidence in your car. Spend time behind the wheel of your car at a PDX , HPDE or Time Trial. I know I will be attending Time Trials in the next few months to gain not only seat time, but confidence in my equipment. I know I will need that confidence when I decide to schedule another driver’s school. Hopefully at the same track that drove me instead of me driving it!

planet6racing
02-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Great Post! Thank you for making the correct decision!!

I found myself in a similar situation for my very first regional. We were camping at Road America and, overnight, it started raining. Between trying to keep my girlfriend happy and fighting off the leaks in the crappy tent, I didn't get much sleep. Qualifying scared the begeebers out of me as, though I had rain tires (OK, high performance full tread street tires), I accidentally went onto the racing line going through the kink when I saw Niki Coello behind me. Big puddle, BIG PUDDLE!! Car got very loose, I had to catch it 4 times, and I sufficiently scared myself.

When it came time for the race, it was still raining, I was even more tired, and the girlfriend and I were barely talking. It was then I decided to skip the first race. No point in wrecking the car, me, and/or someone else's equipment because of my inexperience in the conditions (and everything else).

Of course, the rain stopped for my group, a dryline developed, and everyone seemed to have a ton of fun, but I know I still made the right decision.

jmark
02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Phil,

Good read. I talked with a friend who ran the same school in a Spec Miata and he is an experienced IT7 racer. He said he had never seen some much carnage at a school and he would never let his license lapse again. He missed a flag and nearly hit some cars that had stopped on the straight after a bad crash. He felt that getting thru the school was much worse than a normal race weekend because of all the newbies. Might I suggest you let an experienced 240Z ITS pilot take your car out & comment on the setup. Hopefully there are some Z car racers in your area. I know there are several around GA, SC, NC & FL.

Regards,

Mark

BlueStreak
02-15-2007, 10:52 AM
He missed a flag and nearly hit some cars that had stopped on the straight after a bad crash. [/b]

Actually, three students stopped three abreast for a red flag at the start/finish line. Then the crash happened, but that is another story. I got to see that one from about 40 feet. The sound of the impact gave me flashbacks to last Sept when I lost my ITB car.

I was there (crewing for Paul), and helping another friend with some of the students.

Paul drove perfectly all weekend, but he has the wisdom to know that it is a HOBBY, and that when things aren't just right, one is wiser to save it for another day than to press an uncomfortable situation.

I had to learn this same bit of wisdom the hard way. I got away without this wisdom for four years. If I'd had it before I learned it the hard way, I would not be building a replacement for my ITB car right now.

Paul will be back once he gets comfy in the Z, and I know that when I'm on course with him in the future, he'll be one of the guys that I'm comfy running inches away from. :023:

BTW-Great post Paul.

snook
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
That's a great read. Having completed on school in a friends car I have had some of the same feelings but confidence in the equipment is a hughe factor. In my case having seen the car driven at other events I knew it would perform as expected. I have just completed my own car, G prod CRX Si, and have started running it at a local companies facility. A short road course around the plant and the rates are resonable. This will give me confidence that all of my work was correct and any major issues can be solved before I take it to school.
The first race after I complete the schools is Daytona! :o The concern I have is the chicane, having worked it as a flagger and seen people get it wrong and destroy their cars. I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it, stay out of the way and wave people by.
Having worked drivers schools I've seen some strange behaviour but for the most part things have gone well.

Martyn

JamesB
02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Great read. And as much as it stinks to withdraw you did what you felt you needed to do. I had confidence issues with my equipment which is why 2 weeks before the school I did a single day even to shake down the car. After that I had a few minor tweaks I had to make to believe in the car. But being in a low pressure situation before the school to build confidence in the car is a great thing.

I am listed as contact point for my region for people interested in getting involved. So I speak to newcommers on a regular basis. Recently, I had someone express interest in the WDC spring school. However, he has not turned a wheel on a track in 2 years. What I recomended that he did was to take his race car to one of the hpde events and run with an instructor till they sign him off. Log everything he learns about the car, and then come to the spring school without the rust in his head from such a long time off track and feeling better about the car he bought.

If you dont need to get the rust out, always inquire about the friday test day. I know a few guys that shook out their cobwebs and gained confidence in their car that way.

Daryl DeArman
02-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Great post. COngratulations for having the maturity to make a tough decision.

In addition to all the above, my advice for a student would be to leave the stop watch in the toolbox.

You are there to indicate that you'll be aware and safe to race with; show them how fast you are later ;)

CaptainWho
02-15-2007, 12:34 PM
In addition to all the above, my advice for a student would be to leave the stop watch in the toolbox.

You are there to indicate that you'll be aware and safe to race with; show them how fast you are later ;)
[/b]

That was one of my gripes at driver's school. Thank goodness it didn't happen to me. I told my instructor that I was planning to take it easy and pass the school and come home with an unbent car, and I was a great big wuss, so don't expect me to qualify first or anything. He was totally cool with that attitude, and actually complimented me on being sensible. One of my acquaintances, however, had an instructor with a different attitude. At one point the instructor actually harangued my friend, who was running mid-pack in his class, that he needed to pick up at least two second a lap or the instructor wouldn't sign him off for the school! :blink:

benspeed
02-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Paul - that kind of maturity speaks volumes. If something is not right - don't race. That was your training kicking in - a little self preservation instinct keeps your wallet and your health insurer happy.

I went out to practice with a brand new stock car last season and on the first lap something didn't feel right - still don't know what it was. Well, I didn't even make a full lap - we think either the tie-rod or the control arm failed and I went into the wall hard at Lime Rock. Should just listened to that instinct and pulled her into the paddock and gone over the car again even though it had been delivered by a reputable shop and we had looked the car over carefully. Well whatever happened ended up consting me about $15K - just glad I didn't have anybody else caught up in my wreck.

But I did learn the heard way to listen a little more carefully to that little voice that says, DANGER! The guy who doesn't listen to that voice is the guy I don't want to be on the track with.

PSherm
02-15-2007, 12:48 PM
My .02...

If you're not familiar/comfortable yet with the car, take it autocrossing. It's a great way to get a feel for driving the car hard, getting a feel for what the car does in transition, under heavy braking, and how well it's running. And at the slower speeds, if something goes wrong there's a lot less risk of hurting something/someone.

cherokee
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Great story, I would add my car is in the middle of a bow to stern rebuild and it is going to see a test day or two before its first race, depending on the bugs that I find. I am not sure that the autocross is that much help, it was not for me. When on the track it is always in the northern end of the rpm range, The car ran great scooting around cones at 35 or so mph for 60 or so sec. , but when you started flogging it at track speeds for 20 minutes problems came up.

Do a test day, our area usually has one Friday before each race, I bet yours does as well.

Also if you are not confortable in your car do what your friend did, rent one. Drivers school is so crazy, expecially a double, you don't have time to sneeze. That is the last place you want to have problems. You should just get in drive and have fun. Let the folks you rent from take care of air in the tires and gas in the tank and any other problems that come up with the machine, you are there to learn to watch flags and such. You would have had a different game on if you where not wondering what the car was up to.

But you did make the right choice, you can always come back another day.

Knestis
02-15-2007, 02:41 PM
This should be required reading, as a case study of what the challenges really look like. You've managed to capture most of the tough situations in ways that people should be able to understand. I'm going to come back to this when I have more time to share some thoughts but for now, thank you for contributing to the body of knowledge that we should all have when we start this game.

K

Zahniser1970
02-15-2007, 04:52 PM
That is a very commendable story. I took a different rout to my licensing and did not have to go up against those issues, but I could definitely see where that driving scholl could take it;s toll on one, especially in a new to you car. Well, keep your head up and do not let it get you down. get some seat time in that car and come back to play another day. I truly respect you for your intelligence and savvy.

cmaclean
02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Excellent read and absolutely the RIGHT decision. I experienced something similar at the last ARRC. I was pushing the car pretty hard and I could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong with it. The car was unpredictable and almost impossible to drive consistently. I wasn't going particularly slowly but at about one second off my pace I was frustrated to no end as I was hanging off the back of a fantastic dice. Inevitably I pushed beyond my limit, spun into the gravel at 10 and lost a bunch of positions. I finished off the race at a reduced pace and steadfastly refused to get in the car again that weekend and put it on the trailer. When I got the car home I discovered a rapidly deteriorating hub that I didn't notice at the track. Had I decided to run the enduro that afternoon it's entirely possible I could have had a really big one. Or worse, my co-driver may have. So while I was bummed at the time, I know I made the right decision. And it sounds like you did too!

gsbaker
02-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Regardless of busted bits and pieces, the best part of the story is that you recognized your confidence was a potential problem and you did something about it. Bravo.

I know a surgeon who once backed out of a procedure at the last minute. He had a valid reason, but I knew him well and he later admitted that it just did not feel right. Call it bad vibes or bad karma, he realized his head was not in the game and did the wise thing. He noted that his first job was to not hurt someone.

If your mojo ain't workin', it's time to park it.

JimLill
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM
A few years ago, when I started down the path.... I was unsure when my desire was real or whether I had the skill. So I put in a few years with my DD in HPDE and did > 500 miles. With that, I needed to see whether I had actual racing in me. So I spent the $ to take the Skippy 3-day and decided I was ready to proceed. I bought a turnkey car, but did a day of HPDE with it to learn about it and my driving in it. I then proceeded to my first Regional. I finished both of my races in 2006.

Jeremy Billiel
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Last year I did a double school at NHIS, with a test day on Thursday, Friday & Sat school and a race Sunday. Well the test was awesome and the school was great as well, but by Sat late afternoon I was spent. I no longer had "the drive" and I hung it up. The good news was I didn't need the school, I was doing it for the time at NHIS as I hadn't driven it before. I was also a rookie so I was trying to get into the grove of being passed, etc.

Come Sunday I was feeling good except, it was raining and it was very cold. Like 40 degrees cold. I was confident as I had a brand new set of rain tires (ok full tread RA1's) and I went out to practice with no idea on rain setup. After 2 spins and almost hitting the wall I lost all my confidence in the car and the driver. After my second spin I immediately came into the pits and dang I felt like crap. How do you go from such a high to soo low? Qualifying came and I wasn't interesting in going out. I was mentally and physically tires and just had no confidence. Low an behold it wasn't 2 turns into my qualifying session and I almost spun out warming my tires up.... I recall doing 3 laps and the car felt terrible! I mean terrible! It was so loose I could barely do anything. I pulled in and parked it again. No I have no crew (well friends, but they are racing as well) and don;t know what to do. I finally ask around some more and I had my setup totally wrong for the rain. So I disconnected my swaybar, adjusted the tire pressures and adjusted the shocks for the race.

The race comes and it is still raining... I start the race and I literally just putted around. I mean pretty bad. I just knew I was out of place and over my head. I finished the race and couldn't wait to get the hell away from NHIS.

Moral of the story. The weekend can be VERY overwhelming for noobies. I just didn't know what to do. Luckily my friends helped out where they could, but pace yourself. I said going into my race, that its simply not worth wrecking the car... Know your limits.

Thanks for sharing. I know I felt this way at times during my first year racing last year.

joeg
02-16-2007, 08:19 AM
I had troubles at my first school--ran intermitently on 3 cylinders--but I just puttered along and stayed out of everyones's way. I was told I needed to speed up, but just ignored the orders. I could not go any faster.

They passed me anyways and I got to go to the second school. Don't think I could just quit as long as the car could move under its own power.

Heck, I'm still slow, even on 4 cylinders.

gran racing
02-16-2007, 08:22 AM
It only gets easier as you gain more experience and confidence. In the past when I've expressed my state of nerves with my wife, she points out that this is one of the reasons I enjoy racing. It isn't easy, but there are great mental rewards in ones success (meaning being out there and racing).

JLawton
02-16-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm not going to be able to add anything you haven't heard.

Schools are VERY overwhelming. I went into mine with a fair amount of racing experience and tons of HPDE days and still was wondering what the hell I was doing there!!

Go do a bunch of HPDE days this year. You'll feel much better about yourself and your car.

Hang in there!!!

pballance
02-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the support and comments. I was really surprised at myself and what happened. I would like to think I could have "putted" around the track and completed the school. My frame of mind at the time wouldn't even let me do that. Oh well, plenty of time to get things done.

FWIW, I have a track day scheduled at TGPR March 23. It is part of the Znationals and I couldn't pass up the price of $99.00 Hopefully that day will allow me to gain more confidence in the car. I also plan on doing some SEDIV time trials later this year. While I would like to think I already have the skills, the track day and TT should help me along as well.

Thanks again and while it was a hard decision for me to walk away it was the best decision I could have made at the time. Your support is making me even more comfortable that I made the right decision.

Thanks

Paul

lateapex911
02-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Our first responsibilty is to our fellow rac ers, workers, friends and relatives. No matter what we do, we need to have confidence that, to a reasonable degree, we aren't knowingly entering into a situation that can harm others or ourselves. (I'll bust my car and myself up anyday.... before doing the same to someone else, though, given the option)

But, sometimes "doubt" or confidence can be a gray area. Discussing things with others is a good place to start. But when the issue involves the car, the best thing is to be methodical. Do the same thing every lap, changine one item of your driving in a careful way. Brake deeper, carry a bit more speed, etc. Note how the car rects. When you get it in the pits, first thing, grab your notebook, and write everything up. First, what is the car doing? Where? How? Then write down YOUR thoughts on YOUR performance. The good, the bad and the why's.

It's easy to overlook things, and writing them down helps bring sometimes overlooked things to the surface. Also, trends develop....Show the notes to your friends with more experience. You never know, they might just say..."Hey, look, your starting pressures are way too high...thats why all your notes say that you and the car are getting "nervous" later in the session".

And before going out, review the notes again, and make a "to do" list for the next session.

Once you can be comfprtable with doing this sort of self analysis, and the subsequent adjustments, you'll have a much better handle on what is and isn't "normal", and you'll be able to pinpoint it quickly.

And...once the car is settled, you can concentrate on the crazy unpredicatble parts of racing, without being distracted by car and similar issues. Divide and conquer.

jmark
02-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Paul,

Here are some more well run HPDE events in the SE. I cut & pasted from their site.

"If you're still planning your 2007 track event calendar, I offer for your consideration the remaining events on the Triangle Z Club / Tarheel Sports Car Club schedule:

April 7th, 8th - VIR North Course HPDE & Time Trial (filling up very fast)
June 15th (Friday) - Roebling Road Lapping & Instructor Clinic
June 16th, 17th - Roebling Road HPDE & Time Trial
August 4th, 5th - Carolina Motorsports Park HPDE & Time Trial
October 6th, 7th - NC Speedway Rockingham HPDE & Time Trial

Registration links for all events, and two more upcoming tech days can be found here: www.tzcthscc.motorsportreg.com

Details on our events and time trial can be found here: www.timetrials.net

Hope to see you out there!! Stacy King"

abreakey
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I second the Tarheel events (that is my home club). They put on fantastic events with great instruction. Thumbs up. Oh, they also run a Time Trial series each day of any event. Since your car is prepped for ITS, it is ready to go for that. It would be a great way to get some competition and practice going for quick laps without the stress of other cars being around you (non-wheel-to-wheel).

Perhaps I will see you at one of these events this year.

adamb

pballance
02-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys. RR in June sounds like fun but my work schedule has me on the road from the 3rd week of May through the 3rd week of June in Cali, WV, and SC. D&^% work keeps getting in the way of fun.

Adam, I am really sorry I missed you at RR. I saw your car on track and in the paddock but somehow I didn't see you. Maybe at the NT in Huntsville, are you coming?

I am still trying to figure out which events I am going to attend. I am going to try the SEDIV events simply because they are close. NSS, TGPR, RR (well not so close), and maybe CMP. Just have to see what I can fit in.

Thanks again, see you guys soon.

jake7140
02-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Great story Paul, and something for us all to remember. I had that feeling once coming back after a year without racing. Just felt "out of synch" after the first practice, couldn't get things clicking, jerky, doubting. What was I doing? Had I lost it? Seriously considered not qualifying, but decided to use it to get some feeling back if I could. Luckily, I was able to focus, and then felt better, things started clicking, and the rest of the weekend went well. Luckily, I had a solid car, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the car, just me.

But had I not gotten that "feeling" back, I would have checked out. Same thing with motorcycles. If you're not confident on a bike, get off now, because confidence is really dangerous on a bike.

And when you're doing a school, you NEED to have a good car and/or helpers to manage mechanicals for you. There's enough other stuff to learn and remember.

I also suggest doing Solo2 (open track), or HPDE days before doing a W2W school, or just to keep practiced. Solo 1 is OK for skills, but braking from 120 and turning with traffic for the first time is mentally quite a bit different. HPDE will let you kind of "ramp up" in a non-competitive way, and let you take a breather when you need to; do a fast lap or two, then scale back and focus on the line, etc., then go at it again, often with an experienced instructor to help you along.

PS: Is your car the yellow/black ITS Z from "papadugan" that was advertised about that time? I'm looking for a Z or 510 now, but not at that time.

backformore
02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Nothing new to add, only to state that I had the same experience with motorcycles. I had gotten out of cars and a friend of mine got me interested in motorcycles, primarily for track days, not racing. I bought a bike, did the school, and did a few track days. Running bikes is cheaper and the performance and the rush is MIND BOGGLING! Like you, however, I wasn't having fun because I could not get comfortable and could not get over the sense of real danger.

Once I had that realization, I put the bike and all my gear up for sale and looked forward to the time when I'd get back in a car.

That would be now and I am looking forward to getting back to wheel to wheel fun.

When you are ready, everyone will be glad to see you back.