PDA

View Full Version : Removing steering lock

JoshS
02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
About to try to disable the steering lock in my '99 Z3. Service manual procedure looks pretty involved. Can anyone tell me anything I need to know before I attempt this?

When I get the lock assembly off, will it be obvious how to disable it and still re-mount the ignition switch?

nlevine
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Josh - I found a link off of the Bimmerforums board that highlighted a procedure to drill a hole somewhere in the bottom of the cylinder barrel that "frees" the spring that activates the lock mechanism.. I need to look it up and I'll post once I find it again (unless somebody else has something).

Of course, I didn't follow directions and took my lock cylinder all apart and it didn't go back together correctly, so while the steering lock is now gone on my car, the start function doesn't always engage when I turn the key (I think the whole cylinder is turning)..

-noam

JoshS
02-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks, that's what I'm afraid of. Actually I was referred to the bimmerforums post yesterday, and I even drilled the hole, but it appears that the steering locks changed as of 6/98. When I drill a hole where the earlier ones were, I don't see a spring, just the bottom of the plate that contains the lock pin. So, I now have a hole, but still have a lock.

buldogge
02-14-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't have the picture in front of me...BUT...make sure you drill where the red square is and NOT where the shown drilling is (common mistake...ask me how I know)!!!

Good luck...

Thanks, that's what I'm afraid of. Actually I was referred to the bimmerforums post yesterday, and I even drilled the hole, but it appears that the steering locks changed as of 6/98. When I drill a hole where the earlier ones were, I don't see a spring, just the bottom of the plate that contains the lock pin. So, I now have a hole, but still have a lock.
[/b]

JoshS
02-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks ... yeah, I drilled where the red square was in the photo, but it appears that the lock mechanism changed in 6/98, and that location isn't the right spot to find the spring. I think I'll go hunting with the drill this weekend.

GTIspirit
12-13-2010, 01:25 PM
...I found a link off of the Bimmerforums board that highlighted a procedure to drill a hole somewhere in the bottom of the cylinder barrel that "frees" the spring that activates the lock mechanism...

Could someone do me a favor and post the link? I just searched the Bimmerforums site and came up with a gazillion hits for "steering lock E30" none of which pertained to steering lock removal on an E30.....

And when I searched on "E30 steering lock removal" I found this thread, but no help. :(
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313784&highlight=E30+steering+lock+removal

After having just done this on my 1987 VW GTI I realize how important it is to get some tips and tricks on how to do this, since the Bentley might not contain all necessary info. So I'm looking for advice on how to remove the steering column lock on a 1991 318i. Thanks!