PDA

View Full Version : Taping plastic lights

JoshS
02-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Every other category requires taping glass headlights, but not plastic ones, and not taillights and side markers. Why does IT require taping everything?

Andy Bettencourt
02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Because your mother said so, that's why! :D

It's an interesting question. I would think you would want them all taped.

tnord
02-13-2007, 02:51 PM
i just took my tape off that had been on the car for over 3yrs now. it sucked ass. paint thinner, ice scraper, a few rags, and a big headache later and the tail lights are 90% clean off all the gunk that was on them.

i'd really like to not retape them.

Joe Harlan
02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Because your mother said so, that's why! :D

It's an interesting question. I would think you would want them all taped.
[/b]

It all goes back to the idea that we are all heathens....The rules folks are still convinced that all IT drivers are direct descendants of demolition drivers. That said I am ok with taping all lights. :eclipsee_steering:

Knestis
02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I use 3M rock chip stuff - it lasts better than plain ol' tape and actually provides a measure of protection, I think. I'm reminded however that I haven't done the new tail lights... :)

K

charrbq
02-13-2007, 03:16 PM
I like mine taped. I use 3M vinyl tape to match the car. Gives it a more "race car" look, I think. We removed a strip from the head lights once to signal the pits of an upcoming pit stop. Yes, it was a mess, but highly functional. The tail lights are tapped completely except for a 2" strip running lengthwise. It's way bright enough to pass tech and helps to protect lenses that are made of no-longer-ubtanium, plus, it draws added attention to them when lit.

Doc Bro
02-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey Josh,
Have you priced and/or tried to find Z3 headlights??? TAPE them....WELL!! I bought a "broken" headlight from a junkyard for $60. OUCH. I had to do about 2 hrs worth of work to fix it and make tabs so I could bolt it in. On a Z3 you definitely want to protect the headlights and hood, they're both hard to come by.

R

JoshS
02-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not suggesting that we remove the allowance for taping. I'm suggesting that all cars on the track should have the same rules, as this doesn't seem to be somethng that makes sense for one category but not for another. I have proposed to the CRB that the Touring rules be made generic for all cars (glass headlights MUST be taped, all other lights may be taped, rear lights, if taped, must be taped with transparent tape). This wording is consistent with SS, T, Prepared, and SM, but different from IT. There's no mention right now of taping lights for GT, P, or AS.

dj10
02-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Hey Josh,
Have you priced and/or tried to find Z3 headlights??? TAPE them....WELL!! I bought a "broken" headlight from a junkyard for $60. OUCH. I had to do about 2 hrs worth of work to fix it and make tabs so I could bolt it in. On a Z3 you definitely want to protect the headlights and hood, they're both hard to come by.

R [/b]

I don't tape the headlight on my E36 325, they are plastic and have proven to be a valuable safety feature.

CaptainWho
02-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I don't tape the headlight on my E36 325, they are plastic and have proven to be a valuable safety feature.
[/b]

Would you mind expanding on that? Do you mean that being able to light them is a safety feature? You can have it both ways with the "headlight protector" films that are available. I'd do that if the "barn doors" on the IT7 car actually worked. :D

keycom
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Can anyone show me where this rule exists?

I can't find it anywhere. Not disputing, just looking.

Thanks.

JoshS
02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
First paragraph on page 306 of the '07 GCR.

keycom
02-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks, ya beat me by just a few minutes. They hid it from me good. :lol:

It doesn't, mention tail lights tho, right?

dj10
02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Would you mind expanding on that? Do you mean that being able to light them is a safety feature? You can have it both ways with the "headlight protector" films that are available. I'd do that if the "barn doors" on the IT7 car actually worked. :D [/b]

Do you mean that being able to light them is a safety feature?

Yes

With all the abuse the've taken in 2 years, the plastic lens are in great shape. Don't fix it if it isn't broken. :D

Pun intended

CaptainWho
02-13-2007, 11:56 PM

Yes
[/b]

I'm on board. I'm gonna run my "Rookie X" until the steward make me take it off. Any advantage to be had. :D

JimLill
02-14-2007, 07:28 AM
I use sign vinyl to cover mine. You can get that in almost any color you want......

Knestis
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
On the "safety" question, I burn my headlights on the track (through the aforementioned clear film) when the weather is bad or during enduros when traffic is a factor. And in the dark, of course.

:026:

K

Greg Amy
02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Why does IT require taping everything?
[/b]
Because IT consists of significnatly older cars, some of which actually glass for lenses... Current SS and touring cars are all new and use plastic.

Don't forget: the IT rules are over 20 years old...

cherokee
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
To double check, do you or do you not need to tape popup or hidden headlights.

Think MR2 or early Miata.

I taped them anyway, but someone at Tech told me that I did not need to. I poped the lights on the MR2 to show that they where done. He even told me that I could remove them. I think that is not correct.

Andy Bettencourt
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
To double check, do you or do you not need to tape popup or hidden headlights.

Think MR2 or early Miata.

I taped them anyway, but someone at Tech told me that I did not need to. I poped the lights on the MR2 to show that they where done. He even told me that I could remove them. I think that is not correct. [/b]

You do not. The rule says 'exposed' lights. If you run with the lights up, yes you would have to tape them but...nobody does that.

As far as your tech guy - just reason 1 million that tech guys are not the law. Other than safety stuff, they know just as much as we do about the rules - and in a general sense, probably less because we are experts in our own category while they probably know a little about a lot. Understand this is not bashing anyone it's just the nature of the specialty that has to deal with so many cars and categories. The few times someone like this has made an incorrect statement, I just tell them I read the rules differently and ask them to point you to the section they are referencing. It will get resolved quickly.

924Guy
02-14-2007, 11:47 AM

Yes

With all the abuse the've taken in 2 years, the plastic lens are in great shape. Don't fix it if it isn't broken. :D

Pun intended
[/b]

So you're not big on clear tape, huh? Been working well enough for me...

ddewhurst
02-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Another rule that is in the interest of safety.

"Exposed" headlights SHALL be taped. Presume busted headlights which are exposed glass would fall on track if not taped ........... :D

Non-exposed headlights not required to be taped. Presume busted headlights which are non-exposed glass SHALL not fall on track.............. :bash_1_:

Have Fun ;)
David

ps: The smilies are back....................

dj10
02-14-2007, 07:44 PM
So you're not big on clear tape, huh? Been working well enough for me... [/b]

Why would you need it? Aren't your headlights not exposed at all? I've been driving with them not taped for 2 years, signaling corner workers, acknowledging flags and signaling race traffic. I went through 2 annual inspections, etc, etc. no one has ever said a word to me. Is it because they do know BMW lens are plastic? I guess if anyone bitches, then I'll clear tape them.

JoshS
02-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Why would you need it?
[/b]
Because the rules say you need it. But only for IT cars if your lights are plastic -- other classes don't need to tape plastic lights. That's what the original post was about.

keycom
02-15-2007, 09:27 AM
9.1.3. Improved Touring Category Specifications

d. Exposed headlights, parking lights, and side marker lights shall be taped. OEM light assemblies mounted
on or below (but not in) the bumper shall be removed.

So where does this rule (page 306) mention taillights?

cherokee
02-15-2007, 09:59 AM

d. Exposed headlights, parking lights, and side marker lights shall be taped. OEM light assemblies mounted

[/b]

I love that below the bumper part, gave me two perfect spots for cooling ducts.

924Guy
02-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Why would you need it? Aren't your headlights not exposed at all? I've been driving with them not taped for 2 years, signaling corner workers, acknowledging flags and signaling race traffic. I went through 2 annual inspections, etc, etc. no one has ever said a word to me. Is it because they do know BMW lens are plastic? I guess if anyone bitches, then I'll clear tape them.
[/b]

Sure, my headlights are not exposed, but they're taped anyway - makes sense to do so. More to the point, ALL of my lights are taped with clear tape, not just the headlights. Everything works, except my headlight motor. :(

Gary L
02-15-2007, 10:48 AM

[/b]

It doesn't... it's not required.

Just my opinion of course, but I do wish everyone would use clear tape on the tail/brake lenses. I've raced with cars that have "slits" for brakelights, and they are not as easy to see (particularly in daylight) as an untaped, or clear-taped lens.

Edit: Meant to say... I've raced against cars that have "slits" for brakelights....

ddewhurst
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
***So where does this rule (page 306) mention taillights?

on or below (but not in) the bumper shall be removed.***

Do your tail lights come on when when you turn your parking lights on? :o

Andy Bettencourt
02-15-2007, 11:48 AM

[/b]

Parking lights are usually integral to the tailight assembly. They are usually front, side and rear.

(Edit - Dave beat me to it)

Gary L
02-15-2007, 11:50 AM
***So where does this rule (page 306) mention taillights?

on or below (but not in) the bumper shall be removed.***

Do your tail lights come on when when you turn your parking lights on? :o

[/b]

So... following that logic... taillights must be taped, but brakelights do not. Got it. :blink:

Andy Bettencourt
02-15-2007, 12:01 PM
So... following that logic... taillights must be taped, but brakelights do not. Got it. :blink:

[/b]

True - if you have a brakelight that isn't also a tailight (parking light). Most brake lights are also taillights and work the same bulb...as mentioned as a possibility in the GCR definition of 'parking light' on page 123.

Of course this discussion is stupid. Just tape your external lights/lenses with clear tape...it's just smart for all of us. If I got a flat because someone was being pigheaded and only taping their 'tailights' and not their 'brakelights' just to make a point, I would be pissed.

Gary L
02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
True - if you have a brakelight that isn't also a tailight (parking light). Most brake lights are also taillights and work the same bulb...as mentioned as a possibility in the GCR definition of 'parking light' on page 123.

Of course this discussion is stupid. Just tape your external lights/lenses with clear tape...it's just smart for all of us. If I got a flat because someone was being pigheaded and only taping their 'tailights' and not their 'brakelights' just to make a point, I would be pissed.

[/b]

Now see... ya learn something new every day. I really hadn't looked it up. I have now, and the clincher is on page 130, not 123. Page 123 infers that taillights are parking lights. Page 130 identifies taillights as parking lights.

Just for the record, my parking (tail) lights, and brake lights, and turn signals, and reverse lights (four separate bulbs) are all clear-taped. :D

mbuskuhl
02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Question: Can someone tape their tailights and only leave a small portion exposed for the running light and tailight to shine through?

My answer would be yes based on the following:

GCR does not say anything about size of brake light, other than we need two. Furthermore, IT rules don't say "clear" tape. I've noticed people taping all of the lights on the rear (with non-clear tape) and only having a small (less than 2" x 2") area exposed for the brake light and running light on each side. Whether this is a "smart" thing to do is another debate, my question is on legality but feel free to comment on both aspects.

Z3_GoCar
02-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey Josh,

R
[/b]

Not to mention the hard-top's are pricey too. I just saw one go on e-bay for $2k and the previous one was well over $3.5k. At least I've got the option to go with either clear or yellow marker lights. I suspose that you could be protested for running yellow marker lights under the tape :lol: The 2.8l roadsters also get a choice or rear fenders too, while the 3.0l roadsters only have one set of rear fenders to choose from. All in all to race a Z3, just don't wreck it because it'll cost you to fix it. That being said what's wrong with using the 3M lense protector? I want the cool yellow colored film.

James