PDA

View Full Version : Rollcage Painters?

CKEvo
02-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi All,

I am having Chris Howard cage my Touring 2 Evolution later this month based on lots of great reviews on this forum. I am in a space and time bind currently due to being inbetween housing due to a new job, so I don't have the time or resources to paint my rollcage.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced painter in the area? Nothing special here, white or black, just want it to not rust like crazy. I had called Sansossio Autobody up, and got a quote of 1800$, which is a bit steep (That's two sets of Hoosiers!)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Speed Raycer
02-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Non a-hole Edit:

I'd suggest approaching the builder to paint it for you. If they have the time, it's always the easiest time to paint before the interior starts going back in.

Some builders, including myself, will paint, but it can't be a last minute add on as we've usually got another one on the way in the day yours is on the way out. That whole schedule thing and the start of the racing season ;)

Look below for original a-hole response ;)

CKEvo
02-09-2007, 11:24 PM
The builder won't paint it for you? It's already stripped and it's not like it needs to be base/clear ;)
[/b]

I think he just does cages only.

lateapex911
02-10-2007, 02:38 AM
I did mine originally with an HVLP gun. It's a pain to get in and out without hitting the fresh paint with the hose, but it IS workable, you just have to think in advance.

When I added elements, I just used cans of spray paint, (silver) then used cans of clear. You can have your local body shop supplier mix up cans with the color of your choice to avoid the whole gun thing, (Nason cans) or get "sprayval" bottles and mix your own, using autobody paint and activators.

be sure to sand and prime first!

And wear a good mask/respirator.

Or bring it to me and I'll do it for you.

gran racing
02-10-2007, 07:44 AM
A can of primer and then a can of rustolium. Two brushes. Resources isn't an issue. Time? Yeah, I hear ya. But in reality, since you're not spraying the cage using this method it really doesn't take very long.

I'd do it for only one set of tires. :D

zracre
02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Painting is the easiest part...taping off everything is the pain...

gran racing
02-10-2007, 10:10 AM
If you apply the paint by brush, taping it only takes a few minutes. Throw a sheet down if you want to prevent any drips on the floor and tape around the areas where the cage is welded to the floor. Now the interior of the car takes some time to tape off and prep.

StephF
02-10-2007, 10:14 AM
You got a Tech school in your area? If you do, contact them and see if they have a bodywork shop. That's where we send our cars to get redone. The kids like to see racecars come in, it adds interest to the lesson.
Unfortunately, they've seen mine a bit more than I'd wanted them to...good thing they had a frame straightener.

spnkzss
02-12-2007, 08:21 AM
A piece of cardboard and a copule can of grey rustolium. Vacuum is out a little, don't need to be perfect. Take the can and spray. Use the cardboard to block behind the spray so you don't ge tthe windows and dash and such. It's a racecar. You are only trying to prevent rust and have it look decent. I have been doing this for 5 years. I just reapply once every couple years. It hides dirt really well. I normall paint over most of the dirt.

JamesB
02-12-2007, 09:18 AM
I am with Rob. Just do it.

That reminds me, my footwell needs another coat this season.

JimLill
02-12-2007, 12:02 PM
This stuff goes on easy, hides marks, easily touched up, and is low glare.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=19&SBL=1

http://www.rustoleum.com/images/product/ps_stopsrust_satinenam.jpg

JamesB
02-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I have considered more then once using a roll on grey one part epoxy paint I used on my garage floor.

spnkzss
02-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I have considered more then once using a roll on grey one part epoxy paint I used on my garage floor.
[/b]

= HEAVY

Speed Raycer
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
= HEAVY
[/b]
If you're underweight and only use it on the floor :026:

+1 for Satin Black