PDA

View Full Version : jeep towing..

lateapex911
02-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I have the driveway from hell. I need to back by enclosed trailer off a narrow street, and into my 9' wide drive that is bordered on one side by my neighbors fence, and the other by my house, and keep the trailer straight for over 50 feet. And the drive is sloped and gravel.

This task brings out the bravado in many the "expert" tower/backer-upper, but all attempts have resulted in dents to the trailer, my fence, my stone wall, the neighbors fence, and of course, to my house. And thats letting the experts do it...I know my limits, LOL.

So I have a solution but it's pain in the arse, takes forever, and it is still limited by my tow vehicles manuverability.

My girlfriend though, has offered her 2002 Jeep CJ..Wrangler, actually, up if it would help. As inches count, I think I could do better with a truck thats half as long (just about) as my Sierra, and much narrower to boot. I think it could make a good "tender" or "tug".

Trouble is, it has no trailer hitch, and I really don't want to do anything to her truck that I can't remove down the road...she's doing me a favor, after all...

So, I only need the hitch for driveway use in manuvering a 20' enclosed trailer.

What hitch do the experts recommend I get and install? Any other advice?

itracer
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Would it help your situation to put a hitch on the front of your truck? For getting the trailer out of tight spots? Like an airport tug, a lot more control. Just a thought.

lateapex911
02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I have thought about that, but it's still a big truck in a tight spot. And it would require some hacking up the front end from what I've see.

Here's a hitch I found, it appears to need no modifications and installs in 15 minutes! Heck it takes me hours to get the trailer back there, 15 min is nothing, I'd do it every time if she wanted the Jeep to look "clean", but I doubt she cares.

With the weight distributing parts, it looks to be up to the task. Thoughts?

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search...hh1771&GO=GO%21 (http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=s-1547&bool=AND&category=a_product&maxhits=1&keywords=hh1771&GO=GO%21)

gsbaker
02-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I've seen people use these "tug" (http://www.trailertugpro.com/) gizmos with great success.

Do you by any chance have a lawn tractor nearby?

Daryl DeArman
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I used my old CJ-5 with rock crawler like gears to blind side my enclosed trailer between my eaves, concrete wall and gas meter! The jeep had plenty of torque thanks to the gearing.

I have two suggestions---have a partner that can guide you in because you won't be able to see around the trailer--at least with my trailer straight--mirror extensions still wouldn't allow me to see around it.

Hopefully your T-case can allow the use of low range without being in 4WD as you don't want all that stress on the front end with traction when you are turning at sharp angles.

I can't speak to the hitch install as I am not familiar with the later model CJ's. I welded a receiver onto my rear bumper only for a trail rack and using my jeep as a tug.

gran racing
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Jake,

I used a Hidden Hitch when I was towing my racecar with my Jeep Wranger. One of the truly nice things about it is that it really is hidden unless the ball / receiver are on it. The other is that while it may not take 15 minutes to install, it is a quick installation. Under an hour. They make them so that the holes in the Jeep's rails are used, so there's no drilling.

How heavy is your trailer in the front? Will you be doing a wheelie with the Jeep? I don't think so.

JimLill
02-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Front is the way to go..........

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=pag...entpieceid=1377 (http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=pageview&contentpieceid=1377)

gran racing
02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
See what happens when you get such a large enclosed trailer? :P

x-ring
02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Any other advice?>

Dump that tag and get a goose?

lateapex911
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Get a goose! LOL....

Thanks for the replies.

OK< don&#39;t laugh, but I DID try it with a lawn tractor...an Ingersol Rand with hydraulic drive, PTO, etc, but only 15hp or so. It was a disaster, and the neighbors across the street are probably STILL laughing , and wishing they had a vid camera for "Americas Funniest Home videos" Ack.

4 wheel drive might actually be cool...gravel has been known to shoot out from my wheels wrestling the "little" trailer back there.

My fantasy would be to move it into a parked position loaded WITH the car, as that clears up shop space. So that menas tongue weights of 500 or so. Most Jeep hitches are only rated that high with the use of my weight dist bars. So I think that excludes the front option. AND, I am unsure if I can "sell" that look to the owner and daily driver of the Jeep..;)

Glad to hear the hitch is mostly invisible, Dave...I can leave it on long term in that case.

I think I&#39;ll order up the unit soon.

gran racing
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
The front hitch would be for your truck silly.

Here&#39;s an idea. Buy her the rear Hidden Hitch and an electric winch. I think that way you&#39;d more than balance the "Jeep offroading" look. :D You can even tell her how useful the rear tow hitch will be in extreme off roading situations. I&#39;ll leave that one up to you to be creative with. LOL