PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen RX-7 Front Air Dams

Mike Spencer
02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
OK, I'm still relatively new at this and my old one lasted several years before I straddled the elephant toes and took out the center section. It's an ISC fiberglass unit that several other IT7 drivers use in the southeast.

Unfortunately, I called ISC and they aren't going to be able to get me one soon.

So....

1) what other sources are available? (Doesn't have to be in the SE)

2) what other options are available besides fiberglass? several other racers have told me that so-and-so used to use.. or mazda used to make... I don't remember what the material was but it was resilient enough to get banged around and not have large pieces fall off.

thoughts???

thanks, in advance.

ddewhurst
02-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Mike, you might try looking at BlackDragonAuto.com they are fiberglass. In the past they had some made of the more flexible stuff. You also might try the rx7club.com & ask for info.

Please keep in mind that when adding a front spoiler NOWHERE in the rules is it allowed to remove the OEM valance, grille or under cover. :018: I well know what people do & don't do when installing the after market spoiler.

Have Fun ;)
David

Mike Spencer
02-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Mike, you might try looking at BlackDragonAuto.com they are fiberglass... You also might try the rx7club.com & ask for info.

Please keep in mind...

Have Fun ;)
David
[/b]

David -

thanks for the info. Black Dragon seems to deal mostly in OEM stuff, but I sent for a catalog anyway. Haven't checked rx7club yet, but my son spends a lot of time there and I will ask him later.

as far as the rules go, thanks! the car still has all the stock front end pieces and (what's left of) the ISC air dam slides right over the front bumper. I'm not planning on doing anything different.

NutDriverRighty
02-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I believe that it is out of production now, but Xenon made a polyurethane front air dam for the 1st gen Rx7 that was nearly indestructible. It'll likely take some digging to find one, but I think that it's the best way to go for ease of use and durability. On the down side, be aware of ride heights as this air dam has been known to get below legal levels (ask Freddie Klopper, who got DQ'd during the ARRC weekend).

Scott "Righty" Franklin
www.NutDriver.org