PDA

View Full Version : BP story from Sebring

titanium
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I was reading another post that reminded me about some of the going's on back at the January National race at Sebring.
There was some confusion about whether the car needed another annual tech inspection, since we had just done it's initial logbook inspection back in September of '06, and the new GCR stated that annuals are good now for 12 months from the date of the last annual. I was told that only affected cars that had had their annual tech inspection since Thanksgiving. So I got in line to get mine.

While in line, several racers asked what class BP was. I was more than happy to let them know that it was a new National Class designed to align with SCCA ProRacing's World Challange GT series and so on.
I was not surprised that my fellow racers had not heard of it, as many people just read the parts of the GCR and FastTrack that affect them. (if at all)

There were 4 or 5 inspection 'bays' set up. I was directed to the far one and a very nice lady from our region started going over the safety equipment in my car. Once she was done, she pointed out another gentleman a couple of bays over. She said he was the Tech inspector from the National Office, and he will be coming over to look at my car since it was the 'first' BP to ever get an annual tech inspection.

Now I was getting nervous!!!!!

I just knew he was going to find somthing that I missed.

He came over a minute or two later and the lady from our region introduced him to me. He was a gentleman in his mid to late 50's, wearing a machinist apron and had a electronic thickness gauge in his pocket.
She then went on to tell the inspector that this was the first 'BP' car they had seen in the region and wanted him to take a look at it.

His reply was classic:
"What new national class? When did this happen?"

tom_sprecher
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
It was great to see you and your family at Sebring. Your car is a real beauty and makes me want to look into BP after I get IT7 out of my system.

Unfortunately, not enough people are able to stay on top of what is passed down from National. However you would think a tech inspector would at least be aware of what he/she has to pass judgement on. :blink:

titanium
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Tom,
I hope to see you out on the track soon.