PDA

View Full Version : One less race at Summit Point this year?

Bill Miller
02-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Just looked at the MARRS schedule for this year, and while there are 10 races, 4 of those are out of region (VIR and Nelson doubles). Looks like the July race went away. Anybody know what happened?

mlytle
02-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Just looked at the MARRS schedule for this year, and while there are 10 races, 4 of those are out of region (VIR and Nelson doubles). Looks like the July race went away. Anybody know what happened?
[/b]
there were only six at summit last year too....no change for 07 other than to ad the extra race at neslon.

there was a summit race in july in 06, but none in aug. there is one in aug for 07.

Bill Miller
02-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks Marshall!

dave parker
02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Bill
My standard answer for anything that the DC Region leadership does is "Its all about the MONEY." ;)

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

cheers
dave parker
WDCR HP#97

JamesB
02-04-2007, 12:23 PM
In any time your dealing with business its all about the money. But don't just blame the region for loosing one of the dates, BSR has just as much to do with that when negotiating the new contracts for dates and track cost.

Gregg
02-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Well then hopefully your drivers reps have told you about the 15% increase in entry fees for '07.

mlytle
02-04-2007, 02:37 PM
In any time your dealing with business its all about the money. But don't just blame the region for loosing one of the dates, BSR has just as much to do with that when negotiating the new contracts for dates and track cost.
[/b]

we didn't lose any dates.... sked was set up that way intentionally by the comp committee.

and yes, wdcr is a business that has to break even.

JamesB
02-04-2007, 02:42 PM
You bet its going up. I am really not surprised. But whats with the 30 dollar increase over last year, did BSR raise their rates that badly?

spnkzss
02-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I will give up the Saturday dinner that everyone gets to pay less on the entry fee. My understanding is the extra money is also going towards someworker "goodies". Now don't get me wrong, we can not do this without the workers, and I can't thank the workers enough, but if I'm going to pay this much extra, instead of a goodie bag, lets put gazebos up at all the corners like the Shenandoah. That would be a real way to thank the workers.

Marrs 4 2003 entry fee cost was $175. Marrs 1 2007 $220. I know that they have said we are not going to lose any track time, but I'm sure we will with 10 groups this year. More money less track time. Just think about the gas increase from 2003 also.

I know that everyone is doing the best they can, and we are only paying what "we have too", but this is getting a little insane. so at this rate, 2011 will be $270. Will inflation be that bad? What's the double going to cost this year?

JamesB
02-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Well I doubt that much is needed for worker goodies, so I think its just a combination of higher track costs as well as this. I expected 10 maybe 15 more this year, but not 30.

True the drivers may be able to do without the dinner. However, the saturday dinner is for the workers. And I can tell you, as a worker I was always happy when after a long day out on station that there was a nice hot meal for us.

spnkzss
02-05-2007, 09:35 AM
True the drivers may be able to do without the dinner. However, the saturday dinner is for the workers. And I can tell you, as a worker I was always happy when after a long day out on station that there was a nice hot meal for us.
[/b]

I am not saying get rid of the dinner for the workers by any means. I'm saying "I" as a driver can do without a dinner. Essentially, don't change the way it has been.

JamesB
02-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Rob I missread that. I guess to really know, one would have to ask what the cost is to do a worker only dinner?

Gregg
02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I have asked our treasurer and R.E. for an exact accounting of our registration fees. They have said that it will be published in the Straightpipe. Which issue, who knows. :unsure:

As it stands, the driver dinner was portrayed as being $3-5/head, which has since been modified to $5-7/head.

What Rob is speaking about in regards to worker "goodies" is that a portion of our entry fees will be used to fund yearly dues reimbursement for volunteers working a majority of events. This is built into the entry fee and is separate from the "worker appreciation" fund that many of us contribute to each race. That fund goes towards the little trinkets the workers are given each race weekend, like shirts, bags, umbrellas, etc. The new fee is not voluntary.

Our interim competition director (also the R.E.), when pressed, attempted to read to the committee at our last meeting what forces drove the (IMHO greatly) increased fees for this year. Frankly, given only part of the picture (each line item's percentage increase as opposed to their actual cost) I don't feel we received an accurate representation. Hence my request for a thorough accounting.

JamesB
02-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Gregg I see. Well like I said, due to working with others and BSR I know the rates went up this year, but didnt seem that significant, but if other factors and costs rose at the same time it would explain it. I hope to see the breakdown, or at least a decent explination of the increase in entry costs. Sadly higher entry fees means I will have to cut back on other expenses and that will include less per race given to the worker fund.

tdw6974
02-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Rob I missread that. I guess to really know, one would have to ask what the cost is to do a worker only dinner?
[/b]$
At Watkins Glen can run from $5,000 to $8,000 depending on #s. The Glen requires using their catering services and workers,drivers and crews are invited. This year track rental would have biggest impact on entry fees here. More demands are put on workers with more race groups etc let alone weather, fuel cost, and travel expense. I have served a co race chair, worker(Tech for 25 yrs) comp board member, Trophy queen(don't ask) and Truck driver for last 5 years for son's race effort. T Weaver :eclipsee_steering:

JamesB
02-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I wonder how fees for the glen race will change for the region without MARRS being there. I am sure a few who have the money may go up there, but right now due to costs and time I won't be at the glen this year. If I am going out of region for a race, its going to be for points.

dave parker
02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Guys,
What I find most interesting in the DC Regions increase of race entry fees is the lack of mention of the $685,000 plus dollars that the region has sitting in a bank account labelled "Track Investment Fund".

A portion of each entry fee goes into this fund. Even though a blind man could see that the DC Region will NEVER have the money to buy or build its own track. I find it highly suspect that this "fund" continues to grow with interest and our contributions to it from entry fees but, our entry fees increase as well.
When anyone in the region leadership is asked about the fate of the "Track Investment Fund" the answer is that "They are looking into it." Hmmmm.....

Appropriate quotable quotes could be "Show me the money" Jerry Maguire, or my favorite "Follow the money trail" Deep Throat, from All the Presidents Men.

I am I screaming foul? No. I am I saying that I will not race the MARRS series this year? No. I am saying as a business man that I cannot justify in my mind how this "not for profit" club/business money is being handled.

Next......

cheers
dave parker
WDCR HP#97

JamesB
02-06-2007, 12:12 PM
I won't get into the fund, I dont fully understand everything behind what started it or continues it. But at $5 per entry its not what caused the large increase in costs. personally I would be happy to see a side by side per entry breakdown of last years fees to this year fees just to understand the whys of the increase. As long as the increase is justified I am ok with paying it. But it will effect my budget.

EV
02-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Guys,
What I find most interesting in the DC Regions increase of race entry fees is the lack of mention of the $685,000 plus dollars that the region has sitting in a bank account labelled "Track Investment Fund".

A portion of each entry fee goes into this fund. Even though a blind man could see that the DC Region will NEVER have the money to buy or build its own track. I find it highly suspect that this "fund" continues to grow with interest and our contributions to it from entry fees but, our entry fees increase as well.
When anyone in the region leadership is asked about the fate of the "Track Investment Fund" the answer is that "They are looking into it." Hmmmm.....

Appropriate quotable quotes could be "Show me the money" Jerry Maguire, or my favorite "Follow the money trail" Deep Throat, from All the Presidents Men.

I am I screaming foul? No. I am I saying that I will not race the MARRS series this year? No. I am saying as a business man that I cannot justify in my mind how this "not for profit" club/business money is being handled.

Next......
cheers
dave parker
WDCR HP#97
[/b]
I am a know nothing, but if the region has been collecting the "Track Investment Fund" and it doesn't go towards a track purchase it's possible a large number of people may cry foul.

I am sure someone is really "looking into it", but since the possible push back if the monies aren't spent as earmarked is there it will have to be handled with care.

Just a thought...

ggnagy
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Guys,

Next......
cheers
dave parker
WDCR HP#97
[/b]

Dave, yer starting to sound like someone else whom the Piggly Wiggly racing team knows and "loves". :unsure: No, the track fund is not going to get anywhere near paying for a track, but it would be better than starting at dollar one if something did happen to our use of SP. I'd just like to make sure not a single cent gets used for something like a Solo or Rallycross site. The moment that money gets opened up to other use, it will become an instant slush fund.

mlytle
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
entry fees stopped including a donation to the track fund YEARS ago.

that fund is what paid for the improvements to the woods paddock area last summer.

there is no big conspiracy here folks. insurance, track fees, scca sanction costs all went up. on top of that the board decided to add the cost of feeding everyone dinner. end result is 15% increase. we will be discussing this issue at the next comp committee meeting.

dave parker
02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Wow. After rereading my post this morning it did sound very Mattberg-esqe (is that a word?). While I have not shopped at a Piggly Wiggly in years I am a supporter of the Piggly Wiggly racing team. :)

Marshall thanks for the clarifaction of the facts.

I think I will go shovel the snow off the parking lot at work now. :bash_1_:

cheers
dave parker
WDCR HP#97

JamesB
02-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Well sanction and insurence anyone here can estimate the cost per driver. I guess the food and increased track coast was really the big issue since according to SCCA published information the sanction and insurence was negligable in requiring that much of an increase.

I never thought there was a consipricy out there. But when someone says 30 dollar increase over last years 10 dollar increase I personally will ALWAYS ask why.

lateapex911
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
I appreciate the concern, and I imagine there are good reasons for it. And I would probably be curious as to why as well. But we recnetly had Lime Rock nearly DOUBLE the rental rates, to about $44,000 for a two day regional up here, and it's impossible not to raise entries when that happens.

Still, even with entires up significantly, it remains one of the smaller expeditures we make in racing. Like it or not, racing ANYwhere other than Lime Rock is more expensive for me and the other locals, and entries would need to be just about free anywhare else to make up the difference in gas costs, etc.

I imagine that the raised rates were done for good reasons, and that the managemenet cosidered driver response when doing it.

dpc
02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Nice job Jake, just what I was thinking. here is hoping that 09 is a good year...... dave