PDA

View Full Version : SFI Padding

Bildon
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Can somebody point me to the new SCCA requirements for SFI specs on roll car padding?
I cant find it. Does it have to be SFI approved AND printed with the SFI logo or just approved.

JamesB
02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Bill it did not make it through for the 2007 season. It is still only recomended.

It was sent back to the CRB per the Fastrack 10-2006, on page 35.

The following items were sent back to the Club Racing Board
GCR
Item 17. Effective 11/1/06: Change GCR sections 18.1.2 and 18.1.3 to read as follows:
18.1.2. A system of head rest to prevent whiplash and rebound, and also to prevent the driver's head from striking the underside of the main hoop shall be installed on all vehicles. Racing seats with integral headrests shall also meet this requirement and have a support to the main hoop. Seats homologated to, and mounted in accordance with FIA standard 8855-1999 or higher need not have the seat back attached to the roll structure. The head restraint on non-integral seats shall have a minimum area of thirty-six (36) square inches and be padded with a nonresilient material such as EthafoamŽ EnsoliteŽ with a minimum thickness of one (1) inch. It is strongly recommended that p Padding shall meet SFI spec 45.2 or FIA Sports Car Head Rest Material. The head restraint shall be capable of withstanding a force of two-hundred (200) lbs., in a rearward direction. The head restraint support shall be such that it continues rearward or upward from the top edge in a way that the driver's helmet can not hook over the pad.
18.1.3. Forward braces and portions of the main hoop subject to contact by the driver's helmet (as seated normally and restrained by seatbelt/shoulder harness) shall be padded with non resilient material such as EthafoamŽ or EnsoliteŽ with a minimum thickness of one half (1/2) inch. Padding meeting SFI spec 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001 is strongly recommended required.[/b]

joeg
02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
and what a rip-off too!

You can buy the same hard padding without the SFI stickers for 50% less sometimes.

I use the hard padding, but spotted this nonsense early on.

JamesB
02-03-2007, 11:51 AM
yes, you pay more for the SFI/FIA cert, thats how life is. But this foam is much better then the old stuff.

JimLill
02-03-2007, 02:10 PM
While Ethafoam and Ensolite are mentioned, I don't think that the SFI stuff is made of that. The cell density is more like Volara. I'll bet you can get the same degree of protection from a generic source of Volara, at least for 2007, for less $

JimLill
02-03-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/151...age_padding.pdf (http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/1514554138__List_23_roll_cage_padding.pdf)