PDA

View Full Version : fuel cell questions

rudevr6
01-31-2007, 08:02 PM
hey, i'm in the collecting parts and planning stages of building an ITB/ street prepared 84 scirocco. i was thinking about picking up this fuel cell, but have no experience mounting one (i'm gonna learn :D )

would this itforums guy's fuel cell be a good buy for a cheapa@# starter racer like me?

heres his ad

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...ype=post&id=758 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=758)

Used 10 gallon polyethylene fuel cell for sale. IT and SS legal. Includes box, bladder, fill plate with standard style cap. Has one pick-up installed and has the required foam inside. Cleaned out and ready to go. Box dimenions are 22.5 wide by 17.5 deep by 7.5 tall, not including mounting flange. $50. Dave, SE Michigan ([email protected])

any input would be welcome. :snow_cool:

dave parker
01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
While I agree that the price is right, this cell is probably not what you would want. My thoughts behind that are geared mostly towards the fact that it is only a single pick up cell and that it is only 10 gallon capacity.
The problem with the single pick up is that you will have fuel starvation issues(especially when you get down to the last gallon or so in the cell). While ten gallons is way to much fuel for a sprint race what happens when you decide to run an endurance race? You will very quickly find that 10 gallons is not enough capacity.

My thoughts... and worth exactly what they cost you. :P

cheers
dave parker
WDCR HP#97

Joe Camilleri
01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
You will want to check on the age of the cell, the bladders get brittle over time (don't ask me how I know) and the foam can break down. Also, you will have to add a fitting for your fuel injection return line.

You might want to look at a round "well cell" that drops into the spare tire cavity without having to cut the floor, that's what I used on my HP Scirocco.

If you don't need one for your class, the stock tank is in a pretty nice place, down low and in front of the rear axle beam.

loopracing
01-31-2007, 11:37 PM
I am currently removing my 12 gal. fuel safe cell from my 84 GP scirocco. The 12 gal. works nicely for the ITB setup. I have it mounted pretty much in the stock location. If youre interested I can email pics of how I did it. Also I'd like to sell the 12 gal. It's only 3 years old. I only use 1 pickup pump in the tank with a surge tank inside. Never starves, i can run it down to about 1/2 gal. Having 12 gals. allows us to adjust the weight somewhat with more or less fuel. Also we ran 1.5 hr. races without refueling. It involves some fabrication and welding, but it's quite do-able.

JamesB
02-01-2007, 09:02 AM
I dont know many IT VWs bothering to run a cell. Unless your racing something like a 2002 where the stock tank is in a bad place and can be ruptured there really is no reason to change. I dont get fuel starved but then to make min weight i have to come off the track with a 1/4 tank.

Bildon
02-01-2007, 09:09 AM
James,
Contact us and I can tell you how to plumb a cell with only 1 pickup so you get no starvation (you'll have to buy more parts though)

However if you are currently running an OE VW "cell" in the stock location, leave it alone! The 85+ poly cells are well engineered and safe. You can crush them and they will rarely (ever?) burst. They also use a low P / high P pump and surge tank setup that is every bit the racing part. WOB has done this bit right.

Regarding the weight. You want weight low in the rear! Just race your car with at least a 1/4 tank. We do the same thing. It's faster that way than adding lead to the pass seat area.

rudevr6
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
my concern is that the car has been sitting for a while, and i'm not sure of the quality of the tank.

loopracing, the 12 gal. one you have sounds good, but i'm going to drain and check the stock tank this weekend to see if there is rust. if so, i will def be looking to replace with a cell.

bill, i will get in touch with you if i need to install the cell, also to get other plumbing supplies!

is there times to stop by your shop? i'm right up the 79 from you

racer_tim
02-01-2007, 10:24 PM
I had to go with a cell when I converted my Wabbit to G Production. I've got pictures of the 8 gallon cell, in the spare tire well.

I too had to add some additional plumbing, sump tank, 2nd pump, etc.

http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/2002/

Top photos show the cell and the cover, bottom photos show the additional plumbing.

E-mail me if you have questions

Bildon
02-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Sorry I saw your username and figured you had a VR6. I see now you have an older car with the steel tank. In that case you may be better off with a cell.

Ryan Williams
02-20-2007, 12:50 AM
http://members.aol.com/wabbitracing/images/fuelcell.jpg