PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chatter

faketree
01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Just came back from a test at Roebling and had a sever problem with tire chatter. It was especially bad exiting turn 4 but manifested itself on the exit of turns 2, 5 and 7. I was testing a 95 Integra ITA car. We tried changing tire pressures, tire brands, damper settings and even disconnected the front sway bar. Nothing helped. If I changed my line and ran wider arc's in the turns the chatter was less pronounced but still there.

Any idea's, suggestions?

seckerich
01-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Check for play in the front suspension (wheel bearing, tie rod ends, etc.). That new pavement has a lot of grip and the tires will just grate across the surface. Chased my butt for 2 days at the SIC before we got a handle on the problem. Front bearing was all but ready to fall off at the end of the race. Does the tire look like a cheese grater made a strip about 2 inches wide?

faketree
01-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Tires all look good, temps were within 3 degrees across the tread. Both front wheel bearings are new.

CaptainWho
01-31-2007, 08:27 AM
I can't really help with the original question, but it does bring to mind some related questions. Namely, how much does the tire construction affect chatter? For example, it seems like a tire with a wider contact patch could encounter situations where the tread face "waffled" on the track surface and caused chatter, even though the suspension of the car was sound.

lateapex911
01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Tire size and brand?

Camber settings?

flaboy
01-31-2007, 09:42 AM
i have the same problem at moroso.but i think mine is more wheel size and tire size.I am running 205-60-13 on 5.5 inch wide wheels.only does it on this set of wheels..other set of wheels are 6" wide...no problem with those.

Tim

faketree
01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
We run 225/45 x15 Hoosiers on the car. We tried a set of Toyo's thinking that the grip would be less, and it was. The chatter remained until we lowered the tire pressure so much that the car pushed through the turns. That reduced the chatter because I was compensating for the push. I'm not sure what the camber settings are OPM handles the car preparation.

Our current thought is the limited slip diff is too tight and needs to be loosened up. Anyone else had chatter problems related to the diff?