PDA

View Full Version : Pit Vehicles

JWiley
01-29-2007, 12:30 PM
This might be old news, but I just visited the Road Atlanta website and found a new (to me) regulation affecting pit vehicles. All scooters, ATV's, pit bikes, Razors, etc. under 125 cc are prohibited, any over that may be used if you purchase a sticker that costs $50 per event. Has there been some horrible incident that I'm not aware of? Can these guys possibly find any more ways to screw racers?

James Wiley

Greg Amy
01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Has there been some horrible incident that I'm not aware of?[/b]

Low profit margins? A $50 sticker does nothing to make that device more safe...

NutDriverRighty
01-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Call Road Atlanta and ask Jacqueline or Christy, but I thought that this was for professional events. I had to get one for my golf cart for the Petit. It's so much easier to get around at SCCA, PCA, and BMWCCA events that I haven't bothered bringing it for them.

tom_sprecher
01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
I have heard of this and can not telll you anything more other than nobody I know ever gets a sticker. Also, according to a sign posted at the main gate stating a Hall County ordinance you can not consume alcoholic beverages at RA unless they are purchased at the concession stand. Again, I do not know anybody that abides by that one either, for damn sure!

Colin Harmer
01-31-2007, 12:21 PM
I think this is for people attending pro events only, I had no problem getting a pass for my scooter at the Petite as I was part of the "show". I don't think it will apply to competitors, but it's probably worth a call to make sure. I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to club events.

Cheers,

Greg Amy
01-31-2007, 12:34 PM
So this is not a new rule? Then, it must not apply to SCCA Club events. I drove my 49.9cc Honda Gyro ( ) the whole weekend of the ARRC with no issue from Security. In fact, they only stopped me to ask what in the heck "that thing" was...

More likely than not, it's a profitable way to minimize annoying traffic in a very crowded Pro paddock. - GA

R2 Racing
01-31-2007, 01:00 PM
My 80cc Honda Elite has never had any trouble at Road Atlanta. But, it's also street legal, registered, licensed, and insured, so I don't know on what grounds they could tell me I couldn't drive it.

lateapex911
01-31-2007, 01:49 PM
I drove my 49.9cc Honda Gyro ( ) the whole weekend of the ARRC ............. [/b]

You call that "driving"????....I suggest observers would debate that, and looking at the bloodshed, they'd have a point... ;)

Kolin Aspegren
01-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Rule only for the mitty,ama,and petit

Kolin

Butch Kummer
02-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Not sure how I missed this the last couple of days, but the restrictions are for the spectator areas, mainly during their "big" events (Mitty, Petit, AMA weekends, Drift). It's not so much a revenue enhancer as it is an attempt to control the impromptu "late-evening" motorsports events that would spring up in the infield.

I also understand at the Drift event last year they wouldn't let spectators go outside the Turn 10 complex, which caused some consternation among the road racing enthusiasts there for the formula car support races. Again, they were simply trying to keep the rowdies in check but may have overreacted.

Bottom line - you can still bring your pit vehicles for the Club Racing events in 2007.

Butch Kummer

zracre
02-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I rode my annoying little crf50 all weekend to registration and everywhere else...the gate keepers even pointed and laughed! I would assume it was for pro events as well.

JamesB
02-01-2007, 10:17 AM
nah, funny is when you see matt yip on a 49cc pocket bike.