PDA

View Full Version : What do you have for spares at an event??

TurboCGT
01-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Hello, I am finally getting closer to ready for the upcoming season and was curious what people carry for spare parts to the track. Would like to begin collecting some of the parts that commonly fail. Thanks for the help.

RSTPerformance
01-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Everything for that car lol!!!

We cary in our trailer now just about a spare of everything for those cars. Fell free to ask anytime for something, but be warned we wont be at a lot of local races this year, it might be possible for us to work something out though... Send me a PM if you want crew and a nice ride, and we will work on my bro ;) I would like to be stewarding and will be at most races anyhow.

At a minimum, you should have...

spare CV Joints/Axles, Hub assebly if possible, Ball Joints, tie rods basically anything to do with the front suspension.

Motor Mounts/tranny mounts

Shift Linkage, especially the bar that ataches the linkage to the tranny. (it wears MUCH faster than on a street car)

If your brakes are worn, be sure to have some ready to go

If you are me or my brother a spare spoiler :eclipsee_steering:

Alternator belt!!! That is the just about the lowest thing on your car, and it is the furthest thing toward the front with exception to the spoiler... Basically it isn't protected, and when reving to 6,500 RPM, you tend to wear them a bit fast :)

If possible... CIS complete unit (for when your ar is acting funky, it is a magic fix just swaping it all out), alternator, fuel pump, distributor, o2 sensor, etc. Basically anything that normaly fails on a street car version over time.

Is the exhaust solid?

now for a dreamer, and a worker, a spare motor and tranny on long trips.

We have a TON of other stuff, but that is the basics... When I think of more I will let you know.

Raymond

flaboy
01-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Thats a tough question.....i take almost everything i have.

i am a firm believer that if i don't have it i will need it.
Thats just my luck.
this is a list...
a-arms
fuel pump,injectors.fuel lines,2-cis units.2-fuel filters,plugs.wires,dist.,cap,rotor,relays,cv-joints,ball,joints,rear bearings,rear drums,complete head,water pump,complete intake,front spindles,cold start valvue,warm up reg.and all kinds of stuff.i have 4 plasitic binds i take with me at all the races.pluse 2 sets of race tires and 1 set of rain tires.even if they say it's not going to rain,i still take them.

I probly take to much stuff with me,but it won't do me any good when i need it and it's back at the house and i'm 4 hrs away.

Tim

Raymond...i thought it was just me that over packed.I take so much stuff i can't remember everything.But whats funny is that there is always something i need when i'm at the track that i don't have and then i add it to the list to bring with me the next time.

some commonly over looked things..zip ties,electrical wires and connectors,oil,bearing grease,hand cleaner,paper towells.

things i have left at home before.

Tim

Jeremy Billiel
01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Everything for that car lol!!!

We cary in our trailer now just about a spare of everything for those cars. Fell free to ask anytime for something, but be warned we wont be at a lot of local races this year, it might be possible for us to work something out though... Send me a PM if you want crew and a nice ride, and we will work on my bro ;) I would like to be stewarding and will be at most races anyhow.

At a minimum, you should have...

spare CV Joints/Axles, Hub assebly if possible, Ball Joints, tie rods basically anything to do with the front suspension.

Motor Mounts/tranny mounts

Shift Linkage, especially the bar that ataches the linkage to the tranny. (it wears MUCH faster than on a street car)

If your brakes are worn, be sure to have some ready to go

If you are me or my brother a spare spoiler :eclipsee_steering:

Alternator belt!!! That is the just about the lowest thing on your car, and it is the furthest thing toward the front with exception to the spoiler... Basically it isn't protected, and when reving to 6,500 RPM, you tend to wear them a bit fast :)

If possible... CIS complete unit (for when your ar is acting funky, it is a magic fix just swaping it all out), alternator, fuel pump, distributor, o2 sensor, etc. Basically anything that normaly fails on a street car version over time.

Is the exhaust solid?

now for a dreamer, and a worker, a spare motor and tranny on long trips.

We have a TON of other stuff, but that is the basics... When I think of more I will let you know.

Raymond
[/b]

JEEZUZ...

Thats a lot of spares! I would need to buy an enclosed trailer to fit all of that. The back of my 8ft pickup is already full!

My suggestion is to buy a Honda/Acura and then you will no longer need spare parts unless you hit something, in which case you will have more problems to worry about.

racer_tim
01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I take 2 front hubs, 2 lower control arms, 2 struts, 2 shocks, 2 front rotors, 2 front calipers, a couple of sets of front brake pads, spare tranny, spare head, spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, throttle body, coil, radiator cap, alternator, starter, belts, fluids (oil, Brake fluid, Water Wetter, grease, Simple Green, windex, rain-x, gasket set, and misc other bits and pieces.

Oh yea, air compressor, generator, Craftsman work mate (bench) floor jack, jack stands, circular plywood jack stand platforms, 2x4 (I can't get the jack under the car unless I get one of the front wheels on a 2x4) air gun, portable Mikita driver, toolbox, wagon, wheels, tires, work gloves, ...................

The most thing to bring is a CHECK LIST. I know that you'll be adding to it every weekend, until you bring everything you need to the track, and sometimes, you still have to borrow something from a competitor, or make a late sat night drive home to get that part that's sitting in the back of the garage.

RSTPerformance
01-28-2007, 10:40 PM
JEEZUZ...

Thats a lot of spares! I would need to buy an enclosed trailer to fit all of that. The back of my 8ft pickup is already full!

My suggestion is to buy a Honda/Acura and then you will no longer need spare parts unless you hit something, in which case you will have more problems to worry about.
[/b]

We have a lot more than I mentioned, we litterally could almoast build another car at the track from scratch... and yup, we would. But that is because we have both my brother and I with 2 cars. Something will always break, its the odds, and both of us are very knowledgable on our cars as well as 3 or 4 crew members whom know about as much as we do. So we have the manpower to change engines/tranny's/front clips multiple times in a weekend. Sometimes it is more important to have the crew than the parts :)

As for the enclosed trailer, we have it!!! Last year we were able to get our hands on a used 46' footer that holds a ton of stuff... We have an entire shop in it :) The outside has a bit of work, but the inside is hooked up... Along the walls are 16' of enclosed cabinets, then 24' of tire racking, and another 20' or so shelving that holds 14 totes... Then we have the driver/crew lockers for gear, the benches with 2 full toolboxes and yes the 8' goose to fill up. It was the best investment. We have a dry place to store eveything long term. We only need to take it out at the track or at home if it is needed, otherwise it simply stays stored away in the trailer.

The checklist is the best idea... Everytime you break something, replace the inventory (keep a spare), as it will probably break again!!!

Oh and those specialty tools, bring those, as it isn't likely that someone else will have them when you need them ;)

Raymond "Audi salvage yard, in a trailer" Blethen

JLawton
01-29-2007, 07:07 AM
What version VW are you racing?

One more suggestion from running an A1. Bring complete axles. Don't mess around with just CV joints. And don't buy the cheap ones. Assemble them at home, put plasitc bags over the joints.

Did anyone mention starter and alternator?

Bolts, nuts and screws.

zracer22
01-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Brake pads and an extra case of beer. If the car breaks, I become a spectator and drink more beer! :birra:

joeg
01-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Bring whatever you can carry.

I try and carry whatever is "possible" to change overnight. Accordingly, forget motors, transmissions, clutches (no crew).

You can change about anything else in the hypothetical time frame, so that is a lot; go back to rule 1--bring whatever you can carry.

OTLimit
01-29-2007, 12:25 PM
:023: The kitchen sink!!

Literally, everything that you think you might possibly need, and then a big enough trailer to put it all in. That way, even if your car hasn't broken yet, you get to meet lots of nice people who DO need a part that you have, and you can help get someone else out on the track. Can't tell you how many times that has happened over the years. And in reverse, because the part you lent out on Friday because someone broke in the test session, well that will be the part you need on Sunday at noon to make the race.

Greg Amy
01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
...was curious what people carry for spare parts to the track.[/b]

I invite to the track all my NX2000 buddies...

;)

JamesB
01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I bring few big spare parts. 1 is because I don't have a huge cache of spares yet, the other is at my home track im 15 minutes from what spares I do have in the parts car. If I am out of region for a race I bring everything I can think of that might kill my race weekend. But seriously since I usually once over the car before each race and the golf is mostly reliable I dont worry too much. If i blow a motor like I did last year there is little I can do about it at the track anyway.

TurboCGT
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the replys. The car is an 85 Audi Coupe GT. There is a lot of stuff you guys listed that I wouldn't have thought of for a race weekend... I think I also might be somewhat limited with an open trailer being towed by a large sedan. I have a good shopping list now though for the bits and pieces that I should have on hand. Thanks again!

Jared

Bill Miller
01-30-2007, 11:30 AM
If you have it, bring it! I missed the last race at Bridgehampton because I broke an inner tie-rod, and didn't have a spare, and couldn't find one, and didn't have time to drive back home and get the spare that I had.

After that, I take just about one of everything. Like Lesley said, you'll make friends lending them parts. I know that I lent out more of my spares than I ever needed to use.

I took complete spare front corners, a rear beam, a tranny, calipers, starter, alternator, fuel pump(s), throttle-body, clutch, etc., etc., etc.

About the only thing I didn't take was a spare motor. It's just not that important to thrash at a Regional to swap a motor. Trannys are another story, can swap one of those in about an hour.

JimLill
01-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replys. The car is an 85 Audi Coupe GT. There is a lot of stuff you guys listed that I wouldn't have thought of for a race weekend... I think I also might be somewhat limited with an open trailer being towed by a large sedan. I have a good shopping list now though for the bits and pieces that I should have on hand. n!
[/b]

Now I am curious what kind of large sedan is capable of towing an Audi on what kind of trailer. Load weight is a limit for me right now.

Doc Bro
01-30-2007, 02:42 PM
@ things that I take that I didn't see mentioned.
A spare muffler or something to quiet the car if you are too loud.
Spare lug nuts and studs.

Basically carry every 29 cent part you can think of......

R

TurboCGT
01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Cool, thanks again for all the input. And the car is an 87 Audi 5000 turbo quattro. Very heavy car with a pretty bulletproof drivetrain. Rated to tow 2500 lbs.... but many people tow their track toys with them. I am looking at finding an aluminum trailer or possible a tow dolly... they steel trailer will not do now that my silverado is being sold.

67ITB
03-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work and have not been here for a while, but just to reiterate a few points.

Complete axle assemblies.
Control Arm W/Ball joint and bearings/bushings
Tie rods (inner,outer)
Shift linkage/bushings
Spindles/hubs W/studs
Water pump (FLAT-OUT insert joke here!!!)
Motor mounts
Oil filters
Flywheel/pres plate bolts
All spares are stored in the “ready” condition with fasteners installed/attached

We do carry a spare tranny(swappable in under 1 hour)
A spare built rear beam is in the shop, but it is too clumsy to travel with (for local events)

Group and organize your spares so that you can locate them in an emergency.
Engine, Tranny, CV, Brakes. Belts & hoses, fasteners,

I have 6 foot lockers of spares that we travel with and could not list them all. I work in logistics, one of my teammates is the king of all pack rats, and the other teammate got us a HUGE trailer to support our habits.
With so many people in our group I mounted a whiteboard and have finally managed to get everyone to write down what ever they remove, so we don’t have to physically inventory the sets often.

Matt Bal

Lael Cleland
03-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Did any one say that green cap thing on the 5th gear end of the tranny? i lost one in topika. cant turn right any more.

You have a GT so you only need one axle, L or R its the same. shifter parts seam to be the biggest prob with an audi. One control arm there the same L or R (all the same on a 4000Q) the front struts are HUGE and bulky, rear panhard bar, Pre fuel pump filter, timing belt tentioner OR water pump, cam seals, INTAKE BOOT,

my transportation is an 84 jetta cut in half with a trailer welded to the back, so i have a spair every thing for a scirocco,(exept a 16v1.8) even the brakes are 16v scirocco.

thats my 2 cents

Spinnetti
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow, I've had lots of 'dubs, but didn't realize the spare requirement!
(If I were racing my Touareg, I'd bring an entire spare car!)

I've been out a few years, but typically took two spare wheels/tires, some brakepads, coolant, oil, and brake fluid. in 10 years, never needed any of it. I did break a wheel stud once and had to scrounge for that.

RSTPerformance
03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Did any one say that green cap thing on the 5th gear end of the tranny? i lost one in topika. cant turn right any more.
[/b]

Good to see anothers view... Just wondering what this is you are talking about on the Audi???

You have a GT so you only need one axle, L or R its the same. [/b]

I think you might be wrong on that one... check it out if you have an Audi, I thought all the '80's 2.2L front ends were basically the same, Quattro or not.

shifter parts seam to be the biggest prob with an audi. One control arm there the same L or R (all the same on a 4000Q) the front struts are HUGE and bulky, rear panhard bar, Pre fuel pump filter
[/b]

Agreed on most all that stuff... The front struts are huge and bulky, but wheel bearing failures are an issue... so unless you can change one at the track you may want to bring a "loaded" strut housing with a whellbearing in it.

timing belt tentioner OR water pump, cam seals, INTAKE BOOT,
[/b]

Not sure that these would fail at the track sidelining you...

Raymond "Just my thoughts from experience, not trying to be critical" Blethen

Lael Cleland
03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
NO the audi dosent have the green cap. sorry for the confusion. Also i have removed a rear control arm off a quattro and put it on the front of a 4000, ALL four are the same.(on a quattro). i have owned LOTS of audis, and VWs, i fix them for a living. i am not so good at joking i guess, the water pump is the tentioner. i replace them all the time. I have also had cam seals pop out at the track. THE AXLES ARE THE SAME i am looking at 2 right now.

Nice to meet ya

RSTPerformance
03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
NO the audi dosent have the green cap. sorry for the confusion. Also i have removed a rear control arm off a quattro and put it on the front of a 4000, ALL four are the same.(on a quattro). i have owned LOTS of audis, and VWs, i fix them for a living. i am not so good at joking i guess, the water pump is the tentioner. i replace them all the time. I have also had cam seals pop out at the track. THE AXLES ARE THE SAME i am looking at 2 right now.

Nice to meet ya
[/b]

I think you are correct on the A-Arms.... As for the Axles, I know on our '84 coupes they are different... I am going to have to look closer to see why this would be different on a newer "Coupe GT" as we have had several cars as well. I am not sure what else would have changed to make them equal? Can you tell what is different between the earlier cars and later cars? If not maybe others can chime in?

I am not questioning you, I am trying to educate myself on what is different...

Raymond "hope to see the F-Prod 81 scirocco someday, cool car" Blethen

Lael Cleland
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
my parts source is listing the 4000,80,90 haveing the same axles left and right,BUT they dont list coupe? the Quattro has a left and a right. I would give my left........for a Quattro coupe..... I love audi, i have had an 81 and an 87.

My 81 scirocco has been put on the shelf till next winter, i traded a 92 golf for a 88 scirocco that needs a cage and front struts, and it will be an IT car, its a little more cost efective to start over than go prod right now.

Lael

HotWheelHolly
03-15-2007, 04:03 AM
bringing that many parts with me, I just bring replacements for whatever I think might get damaged.