PDA

View Full Version : VIR Lap records

jjjanos
01-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I've googled and yahoo'd and cannot seem to find modern-day lap records for VIR.

Anyone know where these might be found on-line?

Thanks!

Hotshoe
01-26-2007, 07:30 PM
VIR Track records : http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/RECORDS1.htm

Gregg
01-26-2007, 10:20 PM
And what region hosted the event where Mark Carpenter pretty much eviscerated James Evans' full course ITA record on 3/19/06 w/ a 2:17.182?

EDIT: I corrected the race date. Originally pulled it from Mark's MySpace page

Greg Amy
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
North Carolina, IIRC.

Why?

I sincerely hope you're not implying the track record is suspect, Gregg. I did a 2:24 and change in an ITB Golf in November '06; I am extremely confident I can shatter that :24 with my ITA NX2000. In fact, it's my goal to obliterate Mark's best lap time at the upcoming March NASA event... (yep, I wouldn't be able to claim the SCCA ITA track lap record, but I can still wave it in Mark's face and go "nyah, nyah, nyah...")

Besides, I know Mark and I am confident it's a legal chip to be knocked off of his shoulders...

Andy Bettencourt
01-27-2007, 12:36 AM
So if the ITA record is wrong in that .pdf, what else is? ITA should be a 2:16.0 to 2:16.5 after Greg is done with it. I bet a proper ITA Miata could get to a 2:17.0.

Gregg
01-27-2007, 03:28 AM
I know VERY, VERY well that what Mark drove was legit. I would never doubt what he or that car were capable of legally. My only point is that I know that the current ITA record is about 2sec. fasters than what's published in that PDF. A PDF that says "OFFICIAL COURSE RECORDS AS OF 08/13/06" and that the record holder is James Evans from the MARRS/SARRC a few years ago w/ a 2:19.1

The results from Mark's record-setting race on 3/19/06 are here:

http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2006Results/Mar...GROUP2_RACE.pdf (http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2006Results/MarchMemories/GROUP2_RACE.pdf)

So, if we already see one inconsistency in that region's record keeping, we might just have to go through every result sheet since the track reopened.

Greg Amy
01-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Ah, now I see what you're saying.

It's obviously a clerical error. I had one of those with one of my lap records last year. I simply emailed the pointskeeper and she corrected it...

Someone from NCRSCCA wanna follow up?

Knestis
01-27-2007, 08:29 AM
I've emailed Mark Senior (RE and all-around great guy) because I don't really know who's responsible for records.

Interesting that, if you'd asked me on November 2nd if that ITB record was cheated up, I would have thought, "yes." I don't think so much, now. :)

K

Racerboy03
01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
I emailed someone a while ago about it and never got a reply, no big deal though.

Greg, it won't be easy getting into the :16s at VIR, but I think mid to high 16s is possible in an ITA car. Getting a pull down the back straight will help too. :023:

So, if you don't break my record, do I get to go (nyah, nyah, nyah...)? ;)

Greg Amy
01-27-2007, 12:51 PM
So, if you don't break my record, do I get to go (nyah, nyah, nyah...)? ;)[/b]

Dude, I'm COUNTIN' on it! ;)

Knestis
01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
From Mark S.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Kirk. To be honest, I'm not
sure what process is used to keep up with track records. I'm assuming
the record is loaded in our timing software and that it notes a new
track record in our printed results. From there, I'm not sure who is
responsible for getting that information to the track record page. I'm
assuming its my Chief of Timing but I'll have to check. Probably a good
time of year for NCR to go back and check all the records.

Mark Sr.

Remember too, what you see on some site and what the official record are, might be two different things.

K

Gary L
01-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I've emailed Mark Senior (RE and all-around great guy) because I don't really know who's responsible for records.

Interesting that, if you'd asked me on November 2nd if that ITB record was cheated up, I would have thought, "yes." I don't think so much, now. :)

K [/b]

I have to jump in here and attempt to further legitimize that ITB record at VIR. I didn't do the lap, but I now own the 142e that did, having bought it from David Kerr after the 2004 season. Based on the condition (legally and otherwise) of the car as I received it, my money says it was legal when David did the 2:22 and change at VIR. The same car was also the ITB lap record holder at Beaverun for 2 or 3 years, until someone went a tenth or so faster in a VW this past season.

Hell... while I'm at it, I'll also go out on what I perceive to be a fairly stout limb and make a prediction - that same old Volvo, essentially unchanged from David K's configuration, will break the Hallett ITB record this coming Spring. It's already done a dozen or so laps below Chris Albin's record there, but unfortunately none were under SCCA sanction. Are you out there Chris? Are ya listening??? :P

JeffYoung
01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
By comparison, check the IT7 lap record at VIR as well........

S cars have done 2:12 in qualifying there.

Ron Earp
01-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Didn't an Spec Miata do a 2:18:XX lap at VIR? You know they are all spec so no funny business on that one.

Knestis
01-29-2007, 08:09 PM
More info from our good friends at NCR SCCA world HQ:

kirk,

i keep track of all of the scca track records for vir/ncr. we had a problem last year and the lap records were not corrected until the fall. i have been urging folks to inform me of records but this one must have not gotten to me directly. almost all T&S cheifs are responsible for keeping the records up to date. i will look into this class and make sure there have been no other faster times since then. i doubt it because when i checked in the fall for the most part we were under the records at goblins go.

thank you for pointing this out and i will email copies if there are changes to be made.

thanks,

anna

K

dj10
02-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I know VERY, VERY well that what Mark drove was legit. I would never doubt what he or that car were capable of legally. My only point is that I know that the current ITA record is about 2sec. fasters than what's published in that PDF. A PDF that says "OFFICIAL COURSE RECORDS AS OF 08/13/06" and that the record holder is James Evans from the MARRS/SARRC a few years ago w/ a 2:19.1

The results from Mark's record-setting race on 3/19/06 are here:

http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2006Results/Mar...GROUP2_RACE.pdf (http://www.ncrscca.com/Pdf/2006Results/MarchMemories/GROUP2_RACE.pdf)

So, if we already see one inconsistency in that region's record keeping, we might just have to go through every result sheet since the track reopened. [/b]

Greg, these results show a 3.27 mile track for VIR is this a mistake? I thought VIR was 4.2 miles? I just came from VIR!!!!!!!! Wow what a track! Sure has changed since I raced there in 1976 on my Honda 750. Oak Tree hasn't changed a bit. :D

Parrish57
02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
DJ..... There are actually 5 configurations at VIR. The Full Course is 3.27 miles and most closely resembles the old track from the 70's. The Full course can be divided into the North Course (2.25 miles) and the South Course (1.65 miles). There is also a track within the confines of the Full course called the Patriot course (1.1 mile). If you combine the Full and Patriot courses you get the longest configuration (4.2 miles, ish). I hope this helps.

http://www.virclub.com/guide/Facilitymap.jpg

The track records on this thread are for the Full Course.

dj10
02-26-2007, 02:38 PM
DJ..... There are actually 5 configurations at VIR. The Full Course is 3.27 miles and most closely resembles the old track from the 70's. The Full course can be divided into the North Course (2.25 miles) and the South Course (1.65 miles). There is also a track within the confines of the Full course called the Patriot course (1.1 mile). If you combine the Full and Patriot courses you get the longest configuration (4.2 miles, ish). I hope this helps.

http://www.virclub.com/guide/Facilitymap.jpg

The track records on this thread are for the Full Course. [/b]

Thanks for the explaination, it cleared everything up. Wow, if you could alternate the ARRC between VIR and RA every other year! Both are great tracks!

JeffYoung
02-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Most of the guys I run with prefer the Full course to the Grand (we only ran Grand once due to cost, and it is unlikely it will be run again in the future due to cost). The Grand cuts off about 1/3 of the backstraight and the high speed (and fun) entrance into Roller Coaster. The downhill and then uphill section of the Patriot course that it then "turns" down into is fun, but nearly impossible to pass on for nearly a mile.

In any event, Dan, while I would love to be closer to Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen, VIR and RA are both great tracks and we are lucky to have them as close as they are. Hope you make VIR this year, and we get a chance to actually meet.

Jeff

dj10
02-26-2007, 07:18 PM
In any event, Dan, while I would love to be closer to Laguna Seca, Mid Ohio or Watkins Glen, VIR and RA are both great tracks and we are lucky to have them as close as they are. Hope you make VIR this year, and we get a chance to actually meet.

Jeff [/b]

I'm looking forward to the May race. I hope the weather will co-operate. After being there this pass weekend watching & spotting my friends race the full course from the bleachers @ turn 5 (and others). I feel like I started to learn the track some what again. It sure is dusty when you spin in the dry and very slippery with a cold wet track. VIR is 7 hours from me and just over 400 miles..........and will be worth every mile and every minute to get there from what I saw.

Looking forward to some of that Southern Hospitality, at least in the Paddock. ;)

Dan