PDA

View Full Version : Rains for a 240Z

pballance
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
How about a recommendation for rains for a Z. I am thinking of buying a set of Toyo's and leaving them at full depth. Or on the other hand, should I go ahead and have them partially shaved. How about the Hoosier rains?

While you are looking at this post, how about a recommendation for honest to goodness R's. My I have driven with both Kumho 710's and Hoosier A-6's. The Kuhmo is good for autox but it gets greasy with a lot of heat so I am ruling them out for now. The Hoosiers were not as good at turn in but they seemed to grip better as tire temps went up but that was with the autox compound.

Thanks guys.
Paul

dspillrat
01-18-2007, 10:17 PM
HI Paul,
I've carried around Hoosier rains for 3 years now used em once......I'd be tempted to buy some shaved toyos to serve as damp /wet tires.....If I didn't already have my rains.....

Hoosiers if money no object.....for me 5 good heat cycles.....
Several other better lasting brands, just a little slower...

Be Careful down at Roebling....Quite slippery with my Z in the rain...

FWIW.... IMHO....

rob22
01-19-2007, 07:48 AM
How about last years Hancook's for intermediate rains, we just bought some 225 50 15's for 99. At full depth they look like they would be very effective for that.

Can't Z cars use 15" wheels now?

The old Hoosier "dirt stockers" were fantastic for monsoons.

Bosco

pballance
01-19-2007, 08:44 AM
HI Paul,
Be Careful down at Roebling....Quite slippery with my Z in the rain...

FWIW.... IMHO....
[/b]

Thanks David. I think I am going to just get some full tread depth RA-1's for the school. I have some old Hoosiers I will be taking as well. They are still fairly soft after several years of storage but school isn't about going fast. I just need to get through it, get the license and then I can work on the nut behind the wheel and setup.

I wonder if Roebling is still going to be as slick with the new asphalt?

Thanks for the input.

240zdave
01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I have a set of full tread depth Toyo RA-1's that I have used in several rain races. I placed 5th in a rain race at Sebring on these tires back in 2002 or 2003, which at the time was my highest place finish to date. It was mainly because I was able to keep my car on the track without spinning while a lot of cars that started ahead of me were off in the weeds. :023:

As, or maybe even more important in a Z-car in the rain is seeing where you are going. Fog on the inside of the windshield is a big problem. Hopefully, your heater / defroster is still hooked up and working. Rain-X Anti-Fog does not work. Shaving cream may be better.

kthomas
01-19-2007, 09:20 AM
"I've carried around Hoosier rains for 3 years now used em once"

That supports Thomas's Corollary :The probablility of rain is inversely proportional to the amount of money spent on the rain tires in your trailer.

For a school any old street tire will do. For racing, we eventually came to the conclusion that, for us, it ain't worth it. The Hoosier rains we carried around for proly 5 seasons without using were really for the one time we may be in a points race, or the ARRC, and absolutely, positively, had to race. And to do it right the car has to be set up totally different, the defroster needs a turbo boost, etc, etc. Our preferred rain modus operandi was: just sit out, grab the umbrellas and lawn chairs, and watch the carnage from the sidelines. Even if we had qualified on the pole.

Life's too short to get mud on the bottom of your Z. Makes them rust, ya know. Just IMHO, YMMV.

JeffYoung
01-19-2007, 09:25 AM
we had rain, and sleet, at our school. I was in a rear drive ITS car as well. I had old BFG R1 rains and it was slick, but doable.

I've run full tread RA1s on my street cars in the rain and they were great. I think you will be fine on them. I don't think you need Hoosier rains or Dirt Stockers for school, plus you can use the RA1s for your first season.

The Roebling repave is interesting. For me anyway, I dropped 2 seconds to 1:24, but some of the fast guys didn't like the bump at the exit of turn 8. For me, there was way more grip in 3, 4 and 5, plus more "line" in 4 which used to be a place you could really get into trouble. So, overall, way better for me.

And ditto what K said. After my "wet" school, I have had a rain race ONCE, and I put the car in the wall twice during that race.

Unless I MUST HAVE the points, I wont' run a wet race in a high torque rear wheel drive ITS car with no brakes.

seckerich
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I have raced the Toyo in heavy rain and ran the new Hoosier rain at Charlotte in a downpour last year. New Hoosier is unreal in heavy rain and lived well after it started to dry before my stint was over. If you can only afford one set go with the Toyo for best of both worlds. Do not be afraid to unhook the front swaybar if you have rain and go way soft on the setup. Good luck at school and FINISH!!

Tristan Smith
01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
we had rain, and sleet, at our school. I was in a rear drive ITS car as well. I had old BFG R1 rains and it was slick, but doable.

I've run full tread RA1s on my street cars in the rain and they were great. I think you will be fine on them. I don't think you need Hoosier rains or Dirt Stockers for school, plus you can use the RA1s for your first season.

The Roebling repave is interesting. For me anyway, I dropped 2 seconds to 1:24, but some of the fast guys didn't like the bump at the exit of turn 8. For me, there was way more grip in 3, 4 and 5, plus more "line" in 4 which used to be a place you could really get into trouble. So, overall, way better for me.

And ditto what K said. After my "wet" school, I have had a rain race ONCE, and I put the car in the wall twice during that race.

Unless I MUST HAVE the points, I wont' run a wet race in a high torque rear wheel drive ITS car with no brakes.
[/b]

quitter! :P

JeffYoung
01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Actually, I think the correct word is p#$%y!

Good to see your name Tristan. How goes the house renovation?

Tom Donnelly
02-07-2007, 06:24 PM
I have some in car camera footage from a 240z rain race that might make you think twice.
I needed a rag stuck on the end of a stick to wipe off the windshield in order to see. (Got that
idea from Grayson Upchurch) And I still couldn't see. And thats with good wipers, rain-x and anti-fog. Later, when I saw the in-car and then compared my lines to film from the sidelines, it was pretty amazing how close to disaster I got without really knowing it.

It was fun, and I'm glad I did it once. Actually twice. Nope it was 3 times, all at Road Atlanta.
You can see ok going thru the slower sections, but when you start getting up to speed on the back straight, you might as well close your eyes.

Running a Z in the rain is really something you just wanna do once. After that, its just like
Keith said, the experience isn't really worth getting all rusty.

Hoosier dirt stockers are the way to go if your going to run rains.

Tom