PDA

View Full Version : Roebling Road Double School

abreakey
01-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Hello -- I am planning on attending the double school down at Roebling Road in a couple of weeks. I was wondering who on this board might also be there.

I am also looking for someone to kind of help me throughout the weekend. I (as of right now) do not have anyone that can come crew for me, so I feel like I will be behind the eight ball quite a bit because of that. Does anyone want to pit/paddock near me that can offer a little help if needed? I would be more than happy to offer food/compensation/etc for the help.

BTW, I drive a moderatley prepped ITA Mazda Protege.

Thanks -- see you guys down there.

adamb

Kolin Aspegren
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Adam you are more than welcome to park next to me. I'm bringing one of my cars for a buddy to do
the school also. I will not be instructing just taking care of my car. I see no problem taking care
of yours also. Trust me you will not have time to even go to the bathroom let alone fuel,tire, and brake
your car. These driving school are damn long and boring for the crew so I usually clean and reorganizie
my trailer also in the down time. In all the years I have been going it's been cold and raining so plan
ahead.

Kolin Aspegren 678-431-5119

abreakey
01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Wow -- thanks Kolin. That sounds like it would work perfectly. What class will your friend be driving in?

Also, how many hrs of track time does one get at the double school? I am wondering what I should bring in the way of tires. Think one set of dry and one set of wets would be right?

I will PM you my email address so we can discuss this offline.

Thanks again!

adamb

JeffYoung
01-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Adam, did the school in 2003 and then back to instruct in 06.

One set of tires plus rains is fine. You get 6 hours of track time, but the first few sessions are behind a pace car. Plus, as a student, you won't be going 100% and tire wear should not be an issue for you.

Appalachian Tire is usually there in case you need a tire in a pinch.

pballance
01-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Adam,

I will be there as well but I am in the same boat as you. A couple of us from TVR will be coming down and there are a few guys that said they are coming to help the two of us that are "schoolboys".

I too am a noob so at least you won't be the only one from this forum. Hope to see you there.

Paul

Hotshoe
01-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey You Guys,

..... If you need any help, come and get me. I'll be glad to lend a hand. I will be helping my driver learn the track in my Blue Spec Miata.

..... You can find me pretty easy........... I drive a BIG Wrecker for a tow rig ...lol

..... See you there,

..... Rick Thompson

Aged racer
01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Adam, I'll be there as crew for my son. We'll be in the 2000 Protege (SSC) I mentioned in one of your other posts. Think we are all in group 1. With Kolin and these other folks we'll keep you going. If your Mazda is like ours, you won't have any car problems. I have not run RR since they repaved it last year, but at one time it was a tire-eater. Might bring a couple spare LF's.

In terms of other prep, you'll likely be getting your car's annual inspection, so make sure your belts and such are current. You'll want to have a spare set of front pads as well. Unless you plan to buy track gas, bring some five gallon containers. Finally, RR is sandy and unpaved in the paddock. Bring some boards or plywood for jacking purposes. (this is all simple stuff, but ask me how I know simple stuff can easily be forgotten...).

Be nice to have another Protege around. CYA there.

Steve S

hardwoodracing
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I will be there as a student in my FP MR2. I have an ITA MR2 but it isn&#39;t quite ready to hit the track yet <grin> Hope to see you there!

http://hardknockracing.com/gallery//heap/09302006/leftfront.jpg

Coty

abreakey
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I have a couple of questions about the schedule for this school.

First, I am planning on getting my annual tech done before getting to the school -- But I see that Thurs has tech inspection listed from 11-3pm. I assume this is just gear and logbook check, am I correct?

Second, if I have my annual done, what time do I need to be at the track. Any time on Thursday morning appears to be the answer with Classroom instruction/walking track starting at 2pm on Thurs. I am planning on getting there between 10 and 11am. Should I adjust that?

Thanks -- I am looking forward to it! I think my car is ready, my gear is ready, I am ready.

adamb

pballance
01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Adam, I really can&#39;t help you with the schedule but I went ahead and got my annual done this past Saturday. I look forward to seeing you there and I should arrive at RR about the same time you will.

Paul

erlrich
01-29-2007, 03:41 PM
First, I am planning on getting my annual tech done before getting to the school -- But I see that Thurs has tech inspection listed from 11-3pm. I assume this is just gear and logbook check, am I correct?[/b]Yes, if you already have your annual they will just want to see your gear and logbook.

Second, if I have my annual done, what time do I need to be at the track. Any time on Thursday morning appears to be the answer with Classroom instruction/walking track starting at 2pm on Thurs. I am planning on getting there between 10 and 11am. Should I adjust that?[/b]I did the school last Feb but don&#39;t remember anything else going on before the first classroom meeting. I would leave plenty of time to unload and set up anything you have, plus about an hour for tech - it may not take that long but sometimes there is a line.

One thing I would mention - and it&#39;s probably not a concern if your car is only moderately prepped - is that Roebling is really, really strict on sound. Don&#39;t ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Good luck.

abreakey
01-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Yes, if you already have your annual they will just want to see your gear and logbook.

I did the school last Feb but don&#39;t remember anything else going on before the first classroom meeting. I would leave plenty of time to unload and set up anything you have, plus about an hour for tech - it may not take that long but sometimes there is a line.

One thing I would mention - and it&#39;s probably not a concern if your car is only moderately prepped - is that Roebling is really, really strict on sound. Don&#39;t ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Good luck.
[/b]

Thanks for the responses.

My car isn&#39;t that loud... but I will bring my full exhaust just in case. Thanks for the heads up.

abreakey
01-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I guess I should have asked also, are they doing Annuals at the event, or must you have it done before you get there? I think it is better safe than sorry to get it done first, but should something not be ready early enough, then I would like to know if I have the option of getting it done there.

adamb

erlrich
01-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I guess I should have asked also, are they doing Annuals at the event, or must you have it done before you get there? [/b] Yes, they should be - that&#39;s where I did mine last year. If you do have to get it done there I would suggest being one of the first guys there, just in case they find something you need to fix. They will let some things slide for a school (I didn&#39;t have a fuel sample port - they just said fix it before your next race), but just in case it&#39;s better to leave yourself time.

Rob May
01-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Don&#39;t let Kolin work on your car!!!! Just kidding, be prepared to work though, he&#39;ll find some things to make it faster.

abreakey
01-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Don&#39;t let Kolin work on your car!!!! Just kidding, be prepared to work though, he&#39;ll find some things to make it faster.
[/b]

faster is better. But the easiest thing to fix with the car to make it faster is me and I am not sure what Kolin will be able to do to make me quicker. Of course, tips for RR wouldn&#39;t be a bad thing. I have never been there before.

adamb

civicracer13
01-31-2007, 08:21 AM
I&#39;ll be crewing for a friend that&#39;s driving in my ITC Honda Civic.

Does anyone know if a tire dealer will be there for support? I&#39;d like to get new tires for the first race following the school.

I know Discovery Parts will be there for racecar goodies!
See you there! - Matt Douglas

backformore
01-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but if you will need numbers for your car, we will be there and can bring numbers for your car.

Rory
[email protected]

JamesB
01-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Good luck guys, I didnt do a double school but be prepared to be exhausted at the end of the first day on track. I was so wiped out I could barely eat dinner.

As they said be prepared its early in the season and expect weather. I was lucky and the rains though threatening my whole two schools never came it wanted to.

Knestis
01-31-2007, 05:05 PM
...and a HINT. Get in line early for the final steward&#39;s logbook review and sign off. I was - literally - last because I was packing up and I didn&#39;t get out of the gate until well after dark. They WILL spend a bunch of time with all 60-whatever of you, individually.

K

abreakey
01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
...and a HINT. Get in line early for the final steward&#39;s logbook review and sign off. I was - literally - last because I was packing up and I didn&#39;t get out of the gate until well after dark. They WILL spend a bunch of time with all 60-whatever of you, individually.

K
[/b]

Thats a good tip -- see, I am getting faster already! :023:

adamb

flaboy
01-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Pray for good weather.

I remember last years school.....Saturday high of what???25 degrees with a 30 mph wind....oh and the rain....can you say a river run through it!!

but it was a lot of fun and great experiance in the rain.

Adam May was our chief instructor...i think...hope you have him again...great guy.

most of all have fun

Tim
itc rabitt

abreakey
01-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Pray for good weather.
[/b]

I am praying!!! The always reliable ( :rolleyes: ) 10 day forcast at weather.com shows partly cloudy and 58* for Thurs and partly cloudy and 63* for next Friday.

Crossed fingers. I hope we get lucky!

adamb

erlrich
01-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Pray for good weather.

I remember last years school.....Saturday high of what???25 degrees with a 30 mph wind....oh and the rain....can you say a river run through it!!

Tim
itc rabitt [/b] Awwww, c&#39;mon Tim, you know you&#39;re exaggerating...I know it got above freezing that afternoon :D

Just in case the memory was starting to fade, here&#39;s a little trip down memory lane: Roebling practice (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1872565010836867242&hl=en). And that was one of the better sessions (weather wise that is).

Man, us rwd guys were a bunch of panzies that day. The only upside is after that day I could honestly tell my friends a blew an A-Sedan&#39;s doors off :smilie_pokal:

CaptainWho
02-01-2007, 12:44 AM
[/b]

Do NOT even get me started. When I did the school (?2004?), on Sunday as we finished up, the weather forecast was for a snow/sleet/ice storm covering pretty much everything for a couple of hundred miles inland and north from the track. That is, the routes that the bulk of the students had to travel going home. And we stood in line, outdoors, in 40* weather, for freaking hours. There were a lot of highly agitated and seriously upset people in that line.

Oh, BTW, always take plenty of rain tires to Feb Driver&#39;s school at Roebling. And all your rain gear. And a bilge pump. And waders. Maybe SCUBA gear. Perhaps a boat, or rope to make a raft of your "slick" tires. Coast Guard emergency locator beacon.

NutDriverRighty
02-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Captain Who and I did this school together in 2003. He ain&#39;t exagerating. There was a mutiny waiting to do grave bodily harm to a person or two before we got out of there due to the excessive wait at the end of the day.
In regards to the track time, I had an underpowered FWD car and had a BLAST!! Quite the reality check to get to T1 for your first "real" start and have the world disappear in the spray. Glowing taillights through the spray were the only way to tell where you are and where you&#39;re going. FUN!!!
Take some method to keep your windshield clear, whether a Super Soaker, a rag on a stick, rub a sliced potato on the inside of the windshield, whatever. One guy got parked due to the assertion that the corner stations couldn&#39;t see him in the car, so he must not have been able to see them, either. (not kidding)
Most of all, this is a SCHOOL not a race. Be safe, be observant, and have a good time.

Scott "Righty" Franklin
www.NutDriver.org

Aged racer
02-03-2007, 09:39 PM
For you guys who have not been to RR yet, there&#39;s a couple of pretty decent in-car videos on You-Tube. Good way to get a taste of what the place looks like.

Just search for "Roebling Road" (duh).

Steve

abreakey
02-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks to everyone that gave advice and pointers about the school. We got VERY lucky with the weather. It was basically sunny and warm the whole weekend (save one session for group 1 with some light rain). Also, thanks to Kolin for helping keep my car going all weekend and for the tips on turn 1/2!

I had a great time. I ended up with 257 miles of on track driving. I finished the school without any incidents at all and the car ran without a hitch. I wasn&#39;t the fastest ITA car out there (my car is still basically an SSC car), but I wasn&#39;t the slowest either. Pretty much a mid pack car/driver.

There were plenty of unfortunate drivers that went home with scrap metal though. I was amazed at the amount of bent cars. There were are couple of times where I was close to being taken out by a spinning car, but luckily I was aware and alert enough to avoid them.

It was great meeting you guys down there. Thanks again to those that helped. See you at a race soon. :)

adamb

Mike Spencer
02-12-2007, 01:17 PM
...There were plenty of unfortunate drivers that went home with scrap metal though. I was amazed at the amount of bent cars. There were are couple of times where I was close to being taken out by a spinning car, but luckily I was aware and alert enough to avoid them... [/b]

first off, congratulations to all the drivers who got through the school! :OLA:

yeah, there were some bonehead moves during the weekend but overall I thought you guys did pretty well. I didn&#39;t have a chance to say "hi", but I remember seeing your car. I was crewing for a friend&#39;s son in the #11 rx-7.

unfortunately, bent cars happen once in a while. the good news is you are in a pretty decent run group. A mid-pack ITA car will probably be mixing it up with the same people I race with. There isn&#39;t one who won&#39;t give you racing room.

Find me when the time comes to remove your "X" and I&#39;ll buy you a beer! :birra:

Joe-Racer
03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Mike -

Thanks for the congrats! I had a wonderful time meeting everyone. Lots of track time and loads of good fun. Below are some highlights from inside the Rex. Enjoy!

http://media.putfile.com/SCCA-Drivers-School---Roebling-Road