PDA

View Full Version : Seat mounting options

keycom
01-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Can an FIA seat (Forza II) be mounted on a slider and be considered securely mounted?

I am tall, but want instructors to be able to drive my car at times.

I've searched this site a time or two but haven't found this exact question asked.

Thanks.

P.S. Where can I find the FIA rules for mounting. I found the FIA website, but can't find any "rules".

keycom
01-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Or should I just go with a Kirkey or Ultra Shield and brace it to the cage?

I thought I wanted to be able to move the seat easily.

Does no one do this?

(My first car, if you couldn't tell.)

lateapex911
01-23-2007, 04:50 PM
When I built my car, I saw no prohibition in the rules about sliders, but I honestly didn't look carefully. It seemed to me that I wanted it securely mounted. And as I am tall, getting the seat low was more important than legroom. So I fabricated mounts with multiple holes. That way, I could loosen the rear two mounts, (which were slotted), and remove the two front mounts to move the seat up and forward for other drivers.

If you have a "regular" person you share the car with, you can get the expanding foam inserts and just pop that in and out as needed.

Changing the position of my seat takes about 10 minutes. Not 30 seconds like a slider, but not impossible either. I feel well connected and safe too.

JimLill
01-23-2007, 04:56 PM
At one point I had this....

Sparco Evo 2 mount with Sparco side mounts to Sparo bottom mount VW A2 frame

http://www.vectorbd.com/users/jpl/vwpix/slides/vwracerint.jpg

Earlier had a Kirkey on a modified VW seat base

http://www.vectorbd.com/users/jpl/vwpix/slides/InsideDriverDoor.jpg

changes again for 2007

keycom
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeh, height is a problem too, as my GTI has the sunroof junk. And a slider only worsens that problem.

Thanks for the pics!

Z3_GoCar
01-23-2007, 07:14 PM
Mine's on sliders. TC Kline makes slider seat rails to fit my Z3 and it bolts right up to the Recaro Pole Position seat. It gets rid of the power seat mechanism and replaces it with a bar and detents. BTW I'm way lower even with this slider mechanism than the stock set up all the way down, yes the power adjustment also has a virtical setting too. Height's an issue with me too as I do not want to extend above the cage because I have wide open sky above me.

James

shwah
01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I am 6'4", but that had no bearing on mounting the seat with brackets. I just wanted to take the heaviest thing that I can move around in the car and put it real low. I can't see anything past the dash in my Golf, lots of head room in there. I made it with 3 sets of holes for my own adjustment. We have considered doing some enduros, but would have to come up with a low profile slider to get the seat to work for 'normal' people.