PDA

View Full Version : B13 sentra E, car classification for ITA

ramoncito89
01-18-2007, 05:41 AM
Hello all I知 new to this forum and the topic that I知 bringing is that this year I will be racing in the local ITA races and I asked the inspector of the class where my sentra was going to be placed and they said to me that that car was supposed to be in ITB with 2520lbs but he told me that this year they were trying to put everybody in ITA with weight adjustments he told me to bring documentation if the sentra 1.6 was raced in ITA before so we have a place to start when inspection day comes and I know this car was raced in ITA once but now I cant find it if someone know I will like to know the link where I can get the weight I think it was 2250 lbs but I cant find the old SCCA regs.

Greg Amy
01-18-2007, 07:03 AM
I don't know what the inspector is trying to tell you, but sounds like he's wrong; the 1.6L Sentra E runs in ITB. It doesn't matter where it was before, you're to use the latest GCR...

Join us at the following topic on this very subject:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...showtopic=10165 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10165)

Andy Bettencourt
01-18-2007, 07:49 AM
This is a perfect example of why you need to look at the rules for yourself. A local tech inspector has NO standing to tell you anything for sure - other than how he/she would rule on safety items for your tech. Whoever told you this couldn't be more wrong. Trying to put everything in ITA? Yikes.

Get a GCR. Live it, learn it. Interpret it, torture it. Whatever, but KNOW IT. You have an ITB car.

lateapex911
01-18-2007, 08:49 AM
......I will be racing in the local ITA races and I asked the inspector of the class where my sentra was going to be placed and they said to me that that car was supposed to be in ITB with 2520lbs but he told me that this year they were trying to put everybody in ITA with weight adjustments ........ [/b]

Just out of curiosity, where are you?

It sounds, from the way you're writing, that this is a local action....that he knows it's an ITB car, but that locally they want to put B cars in A. Is that the case?

If so, I think it's a bad idea. Many B cars can't get to a weight low enough to run in A and have a chance, and adding that much weight to A cars isn't a good idea either.

If it's not a local action/program, and he thinks thats what is happening nationally, (from the ITAC/CRB) he's very, very wrong.

There are some cars being considered for class changes, but I can't think of any B cars that need to move to A. It would be a very serious move, as it would mean that the competitor would have to buy new wheels, ($$$) and tires ($$$) and find ways to shave ppounds off the car ($$$).

I assure you, your car is staying where it is.

benspeed
01-18-2007, 09:23 AM
This is a perfect example of why you need to look at the rules for yourself. A local tech inspector has NO standing to tell you anything for sure - other than how he/she would rule on safety items for your tech. Whoever told you this couldn't be more wrong. Trying to put everything in ITA? Yikes.

Get a GCR. Live it, learn it. Interpret it, torture it. Whatever, but KNOW IT. You have an ITB car.
[/b]

Words to live by or you will embarass yourself (as I have on occassion!)

ramoncito89
01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all your comments but I was really trying to make a very long story short first off all I知 from the Caribbean to be more specific Puerto Rico, in recent years the road racing in the island fell from about 150 hardcore racers and I知 counting all the classes from GTS to IT to a mere 22 cars on touring classes and about 22 in GT class road racing right now is as its lowest point in the local history economy is not good nation wide so because it will be no fun driving a 110hp 2520 overweight pig by yourself because there are just 10 improved touring and all of them happens to be ITA SE-Rs , Civics and Jettas so therefore they gave me that choice and is a good one because the car is competitive with 2250 pounds at least against SE-Rs in a 1.5 mile 12 turn road course, the race track design its not really a horsepower track so GA16DEs can really turn faster because of the big deference in nose weight maybe if you race at Road America or Elkhart lake then I will tell you I知 lost but I wont be the last car for sure so right now we use the SCCA rules as a guide but that痴 about it maybe one day if we ever go back to the good old happy days of 40 touring cars going door to door then we can implement everything in the book but until then if you want to race they won稚 let you out because the local picture is not looking good.

lateapex911
01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Ahhh! Interesting.

OK...so lets make your car an ITA car! Andy and I are on the ITAC, and we class the cars with our ITAC brthers. MAybe if you tell us the stock hp, stock weight, and anything else you know, like trans ratios and brake size, we can run the process and come up with an ITA weight.

You could take that to your Inspector and go from there. Would that help?

On edit, with the basic info you mentioned, the process puts it in the 2100 -2200 area, but lets get the full info and be more exact.

ramoncito89
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Ahhh! Interesting.

OK...so lets make your car an ITA car! Andy and I are on the ITAC, and we class the cars with our ITAC brthers. MAybe if you tell us the stock hp, stock weight, and anything else you know, like trans ratios and brake size, we can run the process and come up with an ITA weight.

You could take that to your Inspector and go from there. Would that help?

On edit, with the basic info you mentioned, the process puts it in the 2100 -2200 area, but lets get the full info and be more exact.
[/b]

I have never weighted my sentra when it was new but Nissan factory books rate it at about 2400 pounds with 110 bhp and the US transmition ratios are:

---U.S.----

1st 3.333
2nd 1.955
3rd 1.286
4th 0.926
5th 0.733

final 3.895 (Sentra/200SX) 4.167 (NX1600 and JDM N14) 4.471 (JDM N13)

And a lot of JDM GA15/16 tranny comes with V-LSD. (LSD was optional for GA powered cars)

brakes: 9.1-inch front disks and tiny drum rear brakes.

Darren
01-20-2007, 08:49 AM
lateapex911 ... "OK, so let's make your car an ITA car! Andy & I are on the ITAC, & we class the cars. If you tell us the stock hp, stock weight, & anything else you know, like trans ratios & brake size, we can run the process & come up w/an ITA weight."

As stated by GregAmy, the '91/'94 Sentra/B13 1.6 is already classified in ITB. The only thing the CRB has to do is correct the weight. It seems a little odd that, when listed in ITA ('05), the weight for the Sentra/B13 1.6 was 2,250 lbs, but when it was moved to ITB, the weight jumped up to 2,520 lbs!!! :o In fact, the original listed weight of 2,250 is a curb weight & should be dropped to reflect a correct IT race weight.

BTW, your request for information from enjoydride on his Sentra raised an eyebrow here. What exactly happened to all of those factory service manuals that SCCA had gathered over the years (decades?) for the S/S cars? Did they get dumped during the move to Topeka?

lateapex911
01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Read his situation more carefully. He's not racing in the states. They don't HAVE an ITB class where he races.

Second, I am not IN Topeka..and I really don't want to call Topeka and get the official poop on my dime...I'm just trying to help the guy out, and tell him what his car WOULD weigh, if it were to be put in ITA today, using the process that every other car goes through to be classed.

This has NO bearing on what goes on here in the states, it's ONLY for ONE car in another world...not even SCCA sanctioned,..merely using SCCA classes as a guide....and he happend to be lucky enough to ask the guys who actually class cars, so he's getting a quick answer, hopefully to help his unique situation.

Darren
01-20-2007, 05:59 PM
"Read his situation more carefully. He's not racing in the states. They don't HAVE an ITB class where he races."
(OG) My "quick read" was that they were trying to move him from ITB to ITA AND add weight. And I stand corrected. However, from the (incorrect) weight provided, it does look as tho the rules/specs he is running under are pretty much plagerized from SCCA. My point was that someone in SCCA w/fat fingers input the incorrect weight when the Sentra/B13 1.6 was moved from ITA to ITB. Where this affects him is that, since they are using the SCCA listed weight of 2,520 lbs, he is being penalized for what is an SCCA oversight!!! I notice that you side stepped that issue altogether. Correct the obvious error on this end (thru E&O), & you will automatically fix his problem also.

"Second, I am not IN Topeka. And I really don't want to call Topeka & get the official poop on my dime."
(OG) I never implied that you were. Or that you should call Topeka (tho I would suggest that you update your phone system as no one pays for LD calls anymore). I merely asked if all of those informative factory service manual made the trip to Topeka. It really was pretty much of a rhetorical question. I would just hate to think that all of that information which, while no longer applicable to S/S, but is very relevant to IT racing, was left in a dumpster in Denver.

"I'm just trying to help the guy out ..."
(OG) And I never did, nor ever would, think otherwise. You got your panties in a wad as tho I was personally attacking you. :bash_1_: That was NEVER the case!!!

(OG) I will address a final issue via PM as I do not want to steal this thread by going off topic.

Andy Bettencourt
01-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey Old Guy - why is the jump to 2510 a mistake? Doesn't it seem obvious that if you move to a 'slower' class with 'less potential', that your car has to weigh more given the same power output?

Not an oversight, no fat fingers, not a mistake. I think you may be looking at it from the wrong point of view.

mlytle
01-21-2007, 08:39 PM
last i checked....puerto rico was not it's own nation. it is part of the united states...

element of the south florida region maybe?

ramoncito89
01-22-2007, 04:33 AM
last i checked....puerto rico was not it's own nation. it is part of the united states...

element of the south florida region maybe?
[/b]

As a proud US war Veteran that I am when I mentioned NATION I was referring to US also unfortunately PR is not really part of the SCCA regions yet, this year the events are going to be run under the FIA flag.

mlytle
01-25-2007, 07:10 PM
As a proud US war Veteran that I am when I mentioned NATION I was referring to US also unfortunately PR is not really part of the SCCA regions yet, this year the events are going to be run under the FIA flag.
[/b]
i was guessing that was what you meant...i was more refering to the "he's not racing in the states" comment.

i have spent a lot of time in pr as part of my military career. beautiful island!