PDA

View Full Version : have you guys been seeing these cheap generators?

tom91ita
01-16-2007, 12:50 PM
i'd been looking at Hondas but man these are tempting:

tab to page 7 at http://www.meijer.com/OnlineAds/default6.aspx?sid=22

$899 for a honda 2000i is pretty good for wow $99 on sale.

i know, its not good for much and is "dirty" power but the price sure tempts one. i could get this and a (insert name of next toy here).

HANS, fuel cell, data acquisition, laptop, etc.

a friend has one and has good luck with it albeit for just the 4 or 5 times he's used it since last fall.

lateapex911
01-16-2007, 12:55 PM
At that price it's disposable, but if it's louder than a Honda or Yamaha, I'll hate you.

Bill Miller
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
At that price it's disposable, but if it's louder than a Honda or Yamaha, I'll hate you.
[/b]

Count on it being louder than just about anything. And I just can't see buying one that only puts out 1000 watts (if it does that).

Greg Amy
01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Jeff Lawton and I bought a 9hp 4500-watt generator last year. Electric start, quiet Robin engine:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=90300 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90300)

Refurb versions of these show up on sale there once in a while; I think we paid $399 plus a token shipping charge?

lateapex911
01-16-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure about the method used to rate the sound output, and any standardization, but the pinnacle of low noise is the Honda/Yamaha low noise versions. I have the 3000watt Yami, and it's pretty quiet, and many of us know of the Hondas. Specs:

The EU3000is maintains the impressive rating of 48 to58dB (less than that of common speech even at rated load), and it will run for up to 20 hours on a single tank of gas when used with the Eco-Throttle (http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp#EU3000is) feature. This impressive generator provides 3000 watts of power and weighs only 134lbs. The Honda Inverter Technology (http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp#EU3000is) makes this generator ideally suited for use with sensitive electronics (e.g., computer, fax, printer, telephone, stereo) because the generator produces a clean sine wave of energy that results in no surging. To prevent any possible damage to the unit, the Oil Alert will shut the unit off when the oil drops below a safe operating level. The available power is commonly used for the following typical electric devices:
• Full Size Micro Wave Ovens
• Larger Power Tools i.e. circular saw
• Resistive Load Kitchen Appliances (i.e. Coffee Maker, Toaster)
• Roof Top RV Air Conditioner
• Emergency Home Back up power where no 220 power is required

At 79dB, the Robin (Gregs) is significantly louder. I imagine the cheap one is even louder.....and for 100 watts, the noise to benefit ratio seems out of line...;)

ALso, the top line models like the Yamaha, and now the Honda, have gone to inverted output of some form or another, which makes the power much more stable for sensitive devices.

Lastly, cheap things fail when you need them. So, buy two if you must buy this one, but camp far away from the rest of the paddock..;)

BMW RACER
01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I know this is getting away from cheap generators, but I just bought a Honda EU3000is for $1795.00 and its fantastic. I used it at Buttonwillow and kept forgeting it was on. It's that quiet! Also it has a battery and an ignition key, so none of that rope yanking.

How lazy am I?

dickita15
01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
I would really like to get something as quiet as the EU3000 but I would like to have something I can use at the track as well as backup at the house. Does anyone know of any unit that runs as quiet at the EU’s but has a 220 outlet.

Greg Amy
01-16-2007, 03:50 PM
The one we bought (see above link) has a 220V outlet...

Bill Miller
01-16-2007, 04:05 PM
The EU3000 generators are really nice. They're not cheap, but they are nice. Small, compact, quiet.

Not sure what is going be that quiet w/ a larger output that doesn't have a Honda engine on it.

lateapex911
01-16-2007, 05:13 PM
The Yamahas like mine have a boost feature that allows greater output for up to 10 seconds for startup of certain devices. But no 220 on that model. Up the line you get 220, but at 5400 watts, and 10db more noise.

My Yamaha cost what the comparable Honda cost, but included wheels, whcih were an extra cost option on the Honda. And calling these things portable can ONLY be done if you have two people or wheels.

(I just saw the weight, and now I know why I hate lifting it into the trailer so much...147 lbs!)

gsbaker
01-16-2007, 05:13 PM
You lightweights. Only in hurricane country can one develop a true appreciation for stand-alone generators. One trailer for your car, and one for this baby (w/fuel of course):

http://www.coloradostandby.com/catalog/images/30res.jpg

30KW is enough to run the wine cooler, hot tub, 108" HDTV...

tom91ita
01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
You lightweights. Only in hurricane country can one develop a true appreciation for stand-alone generators. [/b]

i wonder if there is a natural gas hook-up at midohio? or should we get a diesel and tee into the tow vehicle tank?

i have seen some honda powered off-brands at sam's that was pretty good power/dollar vs. the all honda motor and generator.

but i have $15 in gift certificates for meijer that will be used for food if i don't buy the generator.

tom

nevermind, the cerificates are also good for barley pops.

dickita15
01-16-2007, 06:03 PM
The one we bought (see above link) has a 220V outlet...
[/b]
yea that is too loud for the paddock

Greg Amy
01-16-2007, 08:18 PM
yea that is too loud for the paddock[/b]

You sure? We've used it before and not had a complaint (and we asked). It's the same generator that Phil Phillips uses with Kirk's enduro efforts, and it's DAMN site quieter than all the others one around. Hell, I've seen some Car & Driver highway cruise interior noise levels around that...

I think you boys been drinking too much Honda Kool-Aid... but, hey, it's your money.

JimLill
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
any single cylinder generator will be loud(er). They have to run at 3600 RPM and let out big blats. A twin or greater runs at 1800 rpm and thus whispers better.

The quality of generator is not measured in engine alone. The generator side can have various better features. Ideally, it'll be made with Nikasil iron or similar to get the best effciency at lowest mass.

dickita15
01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
You sure? [/b]

I think a 78 db generator is placed carefully it is okay when cars are on course, but way to loud to run in the evening. I am willing to pay more to be less annoying, i just need the 220 outlet.

lateapex911
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM
. I am willing to pay more to be less annoying, ....
[/b]

And your friends will chip in.........but it IS a lot to aspire to, isn't it?

;)

My generator, for those that know me and it, is the Yamaha...(No Honda KoolAid for me Greg, the Yami was a better product than the Honda at the time) is under 60db. That's 19 less than 79, and the way dBs work, (10 db is considered to be double the perceived sound, roughly), the louder generator is considerably noisier. Now, that said, it's quiet, compared with others, and thank god for that, LOL. In the big scheme, it's moderate. Not super quiet, but not obnoxious. But as Dick points out, in the evening, it's proximity could be annoying. To me,it was worth.the extra money to have the freedom to run it whenever, and the quality that will last years and years.

JIgou
01-17-2007, 10:04 AM
It doesn't get you 220, but an interesting feature of the smaller 2000w Hondas is the fact that you can team two of them together to reach 4000w of output.

The one Greg mentions is certainly interesting--

The ultra-cheap one seems perhaps a little too cheap....but, $100 has probably been blown in worse ways.

Jarrod

spnkzss
01-17-2007, 11:53 AM
yea that is too loud for the paddock
[/b]

I don't know if that is or not. It says that it is 78db at 3 meters. What roughly 10'. THe Honda's are rated at 7 meters, roughly twice as far, at 59db for the EU2000i. I bet the 78db gets knocked down to maybe 68-70db in another 12 feet or so for List price difference of $1400. Now I understand that there is a huge difference between 69db and 59db, but if you put it behind your truck, facing it, you could get it down some more.

RacerBill
01-18-2007, 07:27 AM
I was in the Field Artillery - Operations section where we had to operate 24hr a day. We ran generators to power lights, radios, etc.

One of the things that we were evaluated on when we went tactical was noise dicipline.

What we did was take four pieces of drywall, cut three so that they were just higher (maybe 6 ") than the generator, and long enough so they would form a triangle around the generator. Leave a small opening at the bottom of each joint for air to get in, and exhaust to get out. Place the last piece flat on top. This cuts noise considerably, and the openings leave enough room to vent so the unit does not overheat.

The pieces store flat for easy storage, and without any hinges, pins, etc. it takes about two minutes to put up and take down.

Some of that rigid foam insulation would probably work great as well.

IPRESS
01-18-2007, 10:18 AM
I just bought the Honda 2000. It is as quiet as can be. It also is very easy to get in and out of the trailer (or truck.) My Pace ( I just sold) had a cheaper 5000 gen on the tongue. Started first pull every time. The best hing about it was after running for 2 or three minutes someone from the next trailer over always offers to let you use their power! It was LOUD. The Honda was $866. I figure I will make up for it being a little more expensive by saving on asprin.

Mac

Mike Mackaman
01-23-2007, 08:16 AM
One thought about the noise/distance equation if you are near the edge of the paddock, lead cord is a lot cheaper than low db generators. If you can put it 20' behind the trailer or more it not be as noisy as if it is sitting right next to you. If you are stuck in the middle of the skid pad at Atlanta, you might be hated!

Mike

Bill Miller
01-24-2007, 08:21 PM
One thought about the noise/distance equation if you are near the edge of the paddock, lead cord is a lot cheaper than low db generators. If you can put it 20' behind the trailer or more it not be as noisy as if it is sitting right next to you. If you are stuck in the middle of the skid pad at Atlanta, you might be hated!

Mike
[/b]

Yeah, I was none too popular w/ my 8.5 hp 4500w B&S in the paddock at Summit Point, but they way I see it, it was way less annoying than a dozen SRX7s lighting up in the morning!!!! :happy204: :o

Wreckerboy
01-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Just as a point of interest, Amazon appears to have some interesting sales on generators through the end of the month. Search under tools - generators.

spnkzss
01-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I was none too popular w/ my 8.5 hp 4500w B&S in the paddock at Summit Point, but they way I see it, it was way less annoying than a dozen SRX7s lighting up in the morning!!!! :happy204: :o
[/b]

That is the understatement of the year!!! It doesn't seem to matter where I paddock at SUmmit, I'm ALWAYS next to the RX-7 that needs to do something to his car at 7:15am the day of the race that I am group (something after 4) :)