PDA

View Full Version : Removing A/C system (R134A)

JoshS
01-13-2007, 01:48 AM
My car still has its A/C system intact, and it's time to dump it. Please forgive my ignorance, I've never thought about doing this myself before.

Seems like there are rules and regulations for handling R134A as well as the refrigerant oil.

How much of it do I need to have a shop do? Or can I just start unbolting things (with the appropriate safety wear, etc?)

joeg
01-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Gloves and goggles. If you are concerned about the enviornment, I am not sure what you do as shops are more set-up to evacuate and recharge; not simply evacuate.

I do not think the stuff is particularly hazardous if you use common sense and good ventillation.

C. Ludwig
01-13-2007, 09:50 AM
If you just vent it, and I won't think too badly of you for doing so, you need to do so in the open. That stuff settles on the ground and if you do it in the garage with no ventilation it will just lay there. If you breathe it it will settle into the bottom of your lungs and quickly make you think death is imminent. Ask me how I know! From the info I gathered that day while trying to decide if I was going to suffocate there is not much real danger to short term exposure and the remedy is time. I coughed for about two days.

BMW RACER
01-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Josh.

I don&#39;t think you should dump it to the atmosphere. Way back when they started controling A/C work and changing over from R-12 to R-134, I took a state (California) school to get licensed, they told me I needed a $4000.00 machine to evacuate and store R-12. I ws O.K. with that, but asked If I could use the same machine to evacuate the "environmently friendly" R-134? Or since it&#39;s "environmently friendly" couldn&#39;t we just piss it out into the atmosphere like we used to in the good old days? NO IT&#39;S NOT THAT ENVIRONMENTLY FRIENDLY <_< came the answer, we needed to buy ANOTHER $4000.00 machine for R-134 freon. So now I have two machines, one for R-12 and one for R-134.

R-134 has a value, if you were down here I&#39;d say I&#39;d evacuate your car no charge.

See if you can find a BMW or A/C shop near you and get it evacuated. I&#39;ll sleep better if you do.

When you get your car done, come down here and let&#39;s race ITR!

Joe Harlan
01-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Josh.

I don&#39;t think you should dump it to the atmosphere. Way back when they started controling A/C work and changing over from R-12 to R-134, I took a state (California) school to get licensed, they told me I needed a $4000.00 machine to evacuate and store R-12. I ws O.K. with that, but asked If I could use the same machine to evacuate the "environmently friendly" R-134? Or since it&#39;s "environmently friendly" couldn&#39;t we just piss it out into the atmosphere like we used to in the good old days? NO IT&#39;S NOT THAT ENVIRONMENTLY FRIENDLY <_< came the answer, we needed to buy ANOTHER $4000.00 machine for R-134 freon. So now I have two machines, one for R-12 and one for R-134.

R-134 has a value, if you were down here I&#39;d say I&#39;d evacuate your car no charge.

See if you can find a BMW or A/C shop near you and get it evacuated. I&#39;ll sleep better if you do.

When you get your car done, come down here and let&#39;s race ITR!

[/b]

Josh because most shops can recycle it in house now they will do it with out much problem. I have place that evas race projects for me up her efor about 30 bucks.

Mark LaBarre
01-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Now that you&#39;ve stated this on a public forum, you better have a shop recover thee refrig. You can get fined big money for venting.

John Herman
01-24-2007, 07:10 AM
You know, every once in a while some road debris flies up and puts a small hole in the radiater. ;)