PDA

View Full Version : Put your 82-85 Supra on a diet

GT240sx
01-12-2007, 09:59 AM
I just checked the 2007 GCR and the new weight for the Supra is 2750 instead of 2890! That would be great if I new where to loose the weight!

Isn't the typical rule of thumb 0.1 seconds per 10lbs?

Rabbit07
01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Wheels,exhaust, seat belt brackets, Hood and deck latches, Pulleys, radiator, Fasteners, Differential and ring gear, Seat and brackets, battery cable, gauges, ect.............

jhooten
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Even with gutted doors and complete removal of the dash and a bunch of other stuff gone that would get me protested in ITS I still weigh in at 2850. All the trim is next to go. Then Plastic rear and side windows, Without a CF replacement front end I don't see ever getting close to legal minimum legal ITS weight. Even if the driver lost 100#.

HotWheelHolly
03-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Gutted cars are nice and all, just make sure you don't end up like my cousin Robbie. He got overzealous and gutted the radiator along with most of the car. I think he said he cut out the drive shaft too. Wonder how he got it to run after that?

mattbatson
03-19-2007, 07:22 PM
I guess it is all about how much money and time do you want to devote to your IT car...
I would imagine with enough money, buying the lightest components...you can make the weight.
It's just a question of whether your willing to spend all of your spare time and thousands of dollars on your car to accomplish this. :bash_1_:

I love those cars by the way. Had one with an automatic for a couple of years. Handled great and great torque from the straight six.

jhooten
03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I'd be happy to quit blowing up engines so I could spend the money to make the car faster/handle better.

x-ring
03-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Have you tried shifting a little earlier, Jerry? :)

GT240sx
03-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Jerry, my car actually gets very close to IT min weight. At 2890 I had to add some ballast to make sure I met weight. Most of the pieces mounted under the dash are missing, but the roll cage goes straight through it. I have not had an engine failure yet, the only problem I had was an overheating issue and one of the lifters lost pressure, but after it cooled off everything came back to normal.

jhooten
03-26-2007, 10:19 AM
The last one was caused when the O2 sensor failed and the ECU went full lean. It just hammered a couple rod bearings this time. Only cost me a crank kit and one new rod.

Having learned a lot on this car I am tossing around the idea of building the other car into a legal ITS car. At least then if I blow one up I can go get the other and still run the Sunday race.

Ty,
Rev limiter is 6250 and I normally shift between 5500-5800. And I quit useing junk yard pulls without going through them first. Oh and the injector rebuild stopped the oil level from going up two quarts in a 30 minute race. Thin oil is not conducive to long engine life. Whoda thunk that?

x-ring
03-26-2007, 12:15 PM
The last one was caused when the O2 sensor failed and the ECU went full lean. It just hammered a couple rod bearings this time. Only cost me a crank kit and one new rod.
[/b]

I just looked up 'snakebit' in the dictionary and there was a picture of your car next to it. You've had a real uphill road to follow.

Having learned a lot on this car I am tossing around the idea of building the other car into a legal ITS car. At least then if I blow one up I can go get the other and still run the Sunday race.
[/b]

I'm sorry to admit I laughed when I read that. I'm not sure I wouldn't have hung it up by now.

Ty,
Rev limiter is 6250 and I normally shift between 5500-5800. And I quit useing junk yard pulls without going through them first. Oh and the injector rebuild stopped the oil level from going up two quarts in a 30 minute race. Thin oil is not conducive to long engine life. Whoda thunk that?
[/b]

Keep hammering on it. You'll get there eventually. :happy204: