PDA

View Full Version : Ballast rule change

GT240sx
01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Rule:
Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger door opening, unless otherwsie specified the vehicle’s spec line.OEM front passenger seat location.

So, I can put my ballast anywhere on the passenger side floor between the back edge of the front door (b-pillar) and the point at which the floor angles up towards the firewall?

GT240sx
01-12-2007, 09:51 AM
This may not matter for my car now...I just checked the spec line and now my 85 supra needs to loose 140lbs? Any one know how to loose that kind of weight?

Andy Bettencourt
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Rule:
Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger door opening, unless otherwsie specified the vehicle's spec line.OEM front passenger seat location.

So, I can put my ballast anywhere on the passenger side floor between the back edge of the front door (b-pillar) and the point at which the floor angles up towards the firewall?

[/b]

You read it correctly.

tom_sprecher
01-12-2007, 09:56 AM
How much do you weigh? :D

Andy Bettencourt
01-12-2007, 09:59 AM
This may not matter for my car now...I just checked the spec line and now my 85 supra needs to loose 140lbs? Any one know how to loose that kind of weight? [/b]

See the 944 thread in the Por-sha section. Or post some pics. Undercoating on an RX-7 is over 40lbs. Lightweight wheels can save you 20 in total. How much do you weigh? How substantial is your cage? What 'extra' stuff do you have in the car (cool suit, radios, etc)? How much gas do you run? Tons of options really.

GT240sx
01-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah....the driver could loose about 15.

The undercoating hasn't been removed.

I can run half a tank of fuel instead of full tank (-7.5 gallons)

I can remove the 25lb ballast.

How much time per lap can you shave off by droping 140lbs?

lateapex911
01-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Is it a sunroof car? Lots of weight, and up high, to lose there.

Windows and doors gutted?

All interior items gone that are removable? (Guages, etc.)

Lots of weight in exhaust systems, often needlessy.

Fuel cel can save a bunch, depending on the weight of the factory tank and all it's associated sheilds and fillers, etc.

Sometimes certain years are lighter than others. Glass can be thicker for certain parts, so those can be sourced and swapped.

Hardware is free, so there's some weight there too.

And, the best place is in the drivers seat. First, any weight lost there helps overall balance, and, an excercise program will make you a better driver, AND you'll live longer and better. (I am in fairly decent shape...most would call me normal to average size-wise. But I had been working too much, and working out not enough. Changed that....went from 225lb, 6' 3" to 193lbs. There's 30 pounds right in the left part of the car....that can't hurt.)

bldn10
01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
"Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger door opening, unless otherwsie [sic] specified the vehicle’s spec line. OEM front passenger seat location."

Andy and Jake, why is it that as much as I/we complain about sloppy draftsmanship, it continues unabated? Aside from the typo (which could be a printer error, I guess) why in hell was the final phrase left in when it clearly has been superseded by the new language? :bash_1_:

Is it going to be worth the trouble for me to move about 40# 1' aft?

Andy Bettencourt
01-12-2007, 11:22 AM
"Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger door opening, unless otherwsie [sic] specified the vehicle's spec line. OEM front passenger seat location."

Andy and Jake, why is it that as much as I/we complain about sloppy draftsmanship, it continues unabated? Aside from the typo (which could be a printer error, I guess) why in hell was the final phrase left in when it clearly has been superseded by the new language? :bash_1_:

Is it going to be worth the trouble for me to move about 40# 1' aft? [/b]

Bill,

The last sentence should have been removed. The new rule allows a lot more space that before. Previously, you had to be in front of the passenger seat mounts. Now, you should effectively be able to use all the way to the rear seat mounts. No?

bldn10
01-13-2007, 09:19 AM
"Previously, you had to be in front of the passenger seat mounts. Now, you should effectively be able to use all the way to the rear seat mounts. No?"

Yes. That's why I asked if it will be worth the trouble to move my 40#+/- about 1' from in front of the mount to the back.

Greg Amy
01-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Certainly can't hurt. And since all it'll cost you is 15-20 minutes of work, why not?

lateapex911
01-13-2007, 01:23 PM
keep in mind, you dont have to have all the weight in any one spot. The rule was rewritten thinking that there would be some cars that needed to add weight, and forcing them to add it all in one spot seemed wrong. Now, you CAN fab up whatever mounts you like and attach it wherever, or you can spread it out. I can't see how this is a bad development.

Andy Bettencourt
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
"Previously, you had to be in front of the passenger seat mounts. Now, you should effectively be able to use all the way to the rear seat mounts. No?"

Yes. That's why I asked if it will be worth the trouble to move my 40#+/- about 1' from in front of the mount to the back.
[/b]

And I know in most cars that 'in front of the front seat mount' is significantly further forward than 'forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger door opening'. It should give most cars an easy foot or so.