PDA

View Full Version : oil? how often and what do you use?

fonzy
01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
it runs at 6500 all day when im ice racing , running swepco 306 5w30 right now just seeing what everyone else runs

zracre
01-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Mobil 1 5w30 for years...no failures or wear!

charrbq
01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Same thing. Can't see a reason to change. There may be better, more exotic lubricants, but not for the price, protection, and availability.

fonzy
01-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Same thing. Can't see a reason to change. There may be better, more exotic lubricants, but not for the price, protection, and availability.
[/b]

but my question is how often?

Greg Amy
01-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Every race weekend.

x-ring
01-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Every other weekend, except if it's hot (100+ degF ambient) on race day, then every weekend.

charrbq
01-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Fresh oil works better in every facet of engine performance. I don't change mine as often as others, but I my schedule is offered to my by my engine builder, and we've never had an engine problem since I started using him. A good synthetic lasts a long, long time. Mobil 1 has done extensive tests in the use and abuse of their oils. All of which is readily available. Remember to change the filter, too. Different people have different ideas on filters, but the important thing is to change it with the oil.

Domino
01-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Mobil 1 5W30 and Honda filter every weekend.

In a galaxy far far away......a wise Honda engine builder once said......."Use the Honda oil filter only"

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/engine_t...data_sheet.html (http://www.theoldone.com/articles/engine_tips/piston_data_sheet.html)

dropkick317
01-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda filter, every weekend, and 5w30 pennzoil.

R2 Racing
01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Wow, you guys make me feel like a slacker. I don't change my oil anywhere close to every weekend. But I figure if I'm using good oil and a good filter in an environment that isn't sweltering hot or seriously dusty, it's good for quite a while. So I do a complete oil and filter change maybe twice a season.

In the past, I've used Mobil 1 and RedLine but am currently using Valvoline's race oil - all fully synthetic. (Not during a break in process though.) I also use a remote NAPA Gold oil filter - probably twice the capacity of a Honda filter and more effective. You'll see the same one under the hood of most World Challenge and GAC cars.

dropkick317
01-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Not only do I change my oil every weekend, I cut open every filter and inspect the pleats. And I do it at the track.

gran racing
01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
One in the beg. of the season, and once mid-season.

Here's several other responses to that question:
Oil Change Thread (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92&hl=oil+change)

Greg Amy
01-10-2007, 08:25 AM
One in the beg. of the season, and once mid-season.[/b]

Hah! Kiss that practice buh-bye, unless you want to find another engine builder...

philstireservice
01-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Amsoil 20w50........before every race weekend ...use a remote Canton set up........oil analysis after every change

85itccivic
01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Castrol Syntec 10-30 , change about twice a season , 4 engines , 10 years, no oil related failures. In truth when I do refreshes on the engines it is usually just a matter of hone and rings. I can't remember the last time I had to put bearings in on a refresh . Then again , Honda got it right the first time .

Racers10
01-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Mobile 1 5-30 I change the filter every weekend, I change the oil as soon as it starts to change from honey gold to a darker color. Ran one Honda engine for 10+ years without doing any bottom end work.

Replaced that engine this year when hole in oil pan left the driver with 5lbs of pressure suddenly. I have not taken that bottom end apart yet, but it was still running.

charrbq
01-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Replaced that engine this year when hole in oil pan left the driver with 5lbs of pressure suddenly. I have not taken that bottom end apart yet, but it was still running.
[/quote]
Better take it apart and check it. Did the same thing on a fresh engine when the oil drain plug got left loose before a test day. Halfway through the first lap, it came out. I kept oil pressure almost the entire rest of the lap. Put in a new plug and fresh oil, ran the rest of the test day with good pressure, but not great pressure. Got home, checked things out, had two rods and two mains scarred. No damage to crank, but that was almost an expensive lesson.

Did I tell you the owners of the track and the other guys testing that day weren't very pleased with me oiling down there track and shutting down business for a couple of hours?

mossaidis
08-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi, I will add to this ancient thread...

I use 5w-30 Mobil 1 on the 92 Civic si (eg). I change every 2nd to 3rd track day along with the filter (K&N). From reading this, I would be inclined to change over to NAPA gold filters...

Any thoughts on Redline 30wt on a stock bottom-ended Eg? I am tempted to purchase and install some before NARRC runoffs - but don't what to bet HP and my engine. The redline racing oil descriptions go as follows:

SAE 20 (5W20): Drag racing and single-lap qualifying, where the lowest internal friction is desired.
SAE 30 (10W30): Sustained high-speed use in well-balanced racing engines where low internal friction is desired.
SAE 40 (15W40): High-temperature use or when widely varying engine RPM may be encountered.
SAE 50 (15W50): Extremely high temperatures, or when engine durability is the primary concern.
SAE 60 (20W60): Alcohol burning engines.

cfullgraf
08-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I use 30wt Redline race oil. Change it and the filter once a season (4 to 5 double race weekends and a couple practice days) adding about 1/2 qt of Mobile 1 for the rust inhibitors.

We just changed a blown head gasket. We figured the engine had the equivalent of 60 to 65 race days (qualifying and race) on it since it was rebuilt and the last new head gasket was installed. The insides of the cylinders look like new. My engine builder raced the car before I bought it from him.

In a straight line, I keep up with the ITC hot shoes. I just can't get around the turns as fast.

mossaidis
08-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Sweet! Just bought 12 quarts from summit!

Bob Roth
08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
5 - 30mobil, I change filter and oil once a season typically 4 to 6 races. Been doing it for 10 years on a crx, then 4 years on a vtec del sol. never seen a problem, wear or other reason to do it more often.

Mr. Brown
09-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Not only do I change my oil every weekend, I cut open every filter and inspect the pleats. And I do it at the track.

Using Mobil One 5W-30 we change oil every 3rd race.
Mr. B

ITA_honda
09-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30
never have had an issue.
I change mine every 2 race weekends runnning double regionals.

Think thats too often? maybe..
but its cheap insurance.
And what does it take to change oil? A few minutes of your time??