PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Recommendations

240zdave
01-08-2007, 11:47 AM
It's finally time to buy a new helmet to replace my SA95, and I'm looking for recommendations. In Carroll Smith's book DRIVE TO WIN, he makes the comment that anyone who is not using Simpson helmets is crazy or words to that effect. He wrote the book a few years ago, however, and it is geared more toward professional drivers with bigger budgets than mine. He does say that Simpson helmets are great at isolating the nose and mouth from the visor area, virtually eliminating problems with fogging. I also need a helmet that is made to accomodate eyeglasses.

That said, the following helmets are my price range:

Simpson Bandit (Model SI-BAN5)

Simpson Voyager (Model SI-VOY5)

Bell M2

Bell X-15

G-Force Pro Force 1

I think Bell makes a budget line of helmets called Pyrotect. Anyone have any experience with any of these helmets, any suggestions on alternatives, or comments in general?

Eagle7
01-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I like my Bell M2-FA. No experience with other models.

RSTPerformance
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
I am also in the market for a new helmet, would love to get suggestions for the "budgeted" driver who also wants to maximize safety...

Raymond

lateapex911
01-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Interesting study recently, or actually more of a well researched article, in one of the motorcycle mags about this subject. Long story short, better isn't always.....better.

The current debate is about the standards, and what "should be". Certain standards can protect you from death in HUGE hits. Sounds good, right? No...they can also actually injure you in lesser hits that other lesser helmets will absorb for you. But the lesser helmets will kill you in the HUGE hit.

So, it comes down to statistics, to a degree. How will you crash?

Now, I'm not saying buy a cheapo helmet, but, I don't think that cost and standard meeting ability are the ONLY story here. We are NOT slapping walls in Indy cars and subjecting our gray matter to 2000G hits, are we?

Gregg Baker can shed some real light on this, but my advice is to not get too caught up in the super duper big hit protection and worry more about GOOD fit and visibility. A poor fit with the best helmet is far worse than a great fit with an average helmet.

Save the extra money you'd spend on a super duper $ helmet and buy an Isaac Link or standard Isaac and you'll be FAR better off.

DavidM
01-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I have a few years old Bell M2 pro or whatever they call the one with the bigger view port. I actully don't wear glasses, but just wanted the bigger port. I like the helmet and have had no issues with it. I tried wearing my sunglasses once, though, and my ears hurt like crazy where the sunglasses hooked behind them. Aviator style glass that don't hook behind probably work better, but make sure you test fit the helmet with your glasses.

David

JeffYoung
01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I just bought a Bell, the BR-1:

http://www.bellracing.com/productdetail.as...tid=4&prodid=46 (http://www.bellracing.com/productdetail.asp?sec=product&catid=4&prodid=46)

Tried on a bunch of Simpson and Bell helmets, used to wear a Simpson Voyager. I do believe the adage (think it came from Kirk K) that you either have a Bell head or a Simpson head. I have a Bell head, definitely more comfortable.

Price was reasonable. $399 I think, and I have seen it for cheaper (I bought local where I tried it on).

NutDriverRighty
01-08-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a Simpson Voyager Sidewinder that I've been pretty disappointed in. Doesn't fit well (probably my head), but the fit and finish aren't up to snuff with others I've compared. I bought it before I knew more about what I was doing. Since then, I bought a G-Force Hybrid and have been quite impressed with the fit and finish of the parts, as well as how it fits the bucket I refer to as my head. I can even get sunglasses to slide under it and not destroy my ears before the end of the session.
If you're in the Southeast, Tim Lee at Safe Quip usually has quite a few helmets on the truck for you to try before you buy (Wish I'd known about the "Simpson vs. Bell head" before I bought). If you run into Ron Zappendorf of Discovery Parts, he is very open and honest about his wares, has competitive prices, and usually has quite a few helmets from a number of manufacturers on hand for you to try.

ddewhurst
01-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I find NutDriver's coments on the Simpson helmet VERY interesting. Approx 3 years ago I was in need of a new helmet. My past 2 helmets had been Simpson with the very last being a Simpson RX (small eye port). The largest local helmet house Pegasus didn't have the Simpson RX to fit therefore I contacted Simpson in Texas. I'll make a long story short. The plant manager sent a total of 5 RX helmets before I found a fit similar to the previous RX helmet. The issue was (the plant manager never admitted it) that the manufactruing radial control of the linner to the shell was not consistant. Because the manufactruing radial control was not cosistant the small eye port got smaller & the helmet in general fit for $hit relative to my eyes. But, once we got through all the screwing around the helmet fits great & I wear small type glasses with the frames that hook behind the ears.

If it don't feel GREAT don't buy it. (GREAT is not loose.)

Continue the search ;)
David

Tom Donnelly
01-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I bought the Bell M2 because it wasn't too expensive, had a large eyeport, and was comfortable.
I sometimes wear my glasses or contacts and sunglasses and the M2 has the room.
I keep the shield up one click and it doesn't fog either.
When I bought it it was only $259.

I agree with David (If it doesn't fit great, buy something else)
and Jake (You could spend the extra $$ on something else)

You can spend alot of money on a helmet that would be better spent on tires. :D

JimLill
01-08-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm on year three with my Bell M2. Fits me perfect and was a reasonable price. One thing about fitment... Bell uses a few shell sizes and adjust the final size with various inside absorption and pad variations. If you have an oddball shaped head, pads changes may be a possibility. The most important fit IMO is the front/t-back... it should be snug but not put pressure on your forehead.

C. Ludwig
01-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Try before you buy!

I've used a Bell. I've tried Arai (hated it), Simpson (meh), Impact (nice), G-Force (meh...aren't they made by Bell). Everyone's head is different and you can't be expected to be comfortable in the same helmet as your buddy. If you buy online make sure they're cool with you sending it back for a full refund if it doesn't fit well.

mowog
01-08-2007, 07:59 PM
The MOST important factor is fit - on your head and in the car. Many years ago a poor fitting helmet was the primary cause of a dislocated jaw. The helmet fit tightly at my forehead, but not around the side of my face. In a crash the helmet whipped around, twisted, and caused a number of problems. I also had a concussion. Of course I probably would have been dead if I hadn't been wearing any helmet, so I'm not saying the helmet was bad. But a better fitting helmet might have caused fewer injuries. Around 2000 or 2001 I tried some helmets on in the car. Several pushed my head forward because of the combination of the design of my seat and the shape/size of the back of the helmet. Recently I tried on a Bell GTX, but it hit the front yoke of the HANS, so I couldn't use it.

An important point for some is weight. My previous helmet was a Bell Vortex because of the combination of fit and weight. I decided that even though it was expensive, the total yearly cost over about 5 years wasn't all that bad - and I was worth it! :D Because the Vortex is a '95, I had to get another. I tried on Bell first, then Simpson, Arai, Impact, and another I can't remember now (something with HJ in it I think - someone had them on sale at Topeka). In my case, the Arai fit far better than anything else, and was light. It was also expensive - but I'm still worth it. :P

Wreckerboy
01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
My last two or three helmets have been Voyagers and I have been satisfied with them. I am replacing my current (four year old) Voyager this season, and am seriously considering the Impact Super Sport S/S.

Anybody out there with Impact experience?

joeg
01-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Always reflect on the size of your head.

If a round face fat head (like me)--go Bell (G-Force or Pyrotect also).

If a skinny face, thin head, go Simpson, Impact, Arai.

You still have to find the right size--try them on; but for generalizations to get to the correct manufacturer, the simple test outlined above works well.

racer_tim
01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Dave, if you wear glasses, even sun-glasses, make sure that you get a helmet that has a large enough eye opening to get your glasses on and off.

My SA95 Bell had a very large eye opening. My SA2000 Biffe has a very small eye opening. It's doable, but try out before you buy.

Daryl DeArman
01-09-2007, 12:01 PM
I've always had either a Bell or Simpson helmet. Despite the common "Bell or Simpson head" shape comments I had an older Simpson Shark that was quite comfortable (or so I thought). I have also had a Bell SportIII that was relatively comfortable. My latest SA2005 Pyrotect ("Bell") is the most uncomfortable helmet I have ever owned. It has interchangeable cheek pads, so I was able to get a nice comfortable fit for 5 minutes while at the store....it's 20 minutes into the race when the pressure at the forehead becomes noticeable...and if you notice it while on track, you'll certainly notice it on the cool down lap and later!!! I guess I really don't have a Simpson or a Bell shaped head because I recently bought a new sport touring bike and wanted a new helmet.

The first one I tried on was an Arai. Instantly thought what in the heck have I been doing torturing myself with the Simpson/Bell stuff all these years? I tried a Shoei as well, which was also more comfortable than any of the racing helmets (except maybe the shark) I had ever owned. Well, my wife and I wanted matching helmets (isn't that special? :) ) and she didn't care for the style of the Arai or Shoei so we looked at the carbon fiber HJC's. Before you scream....HJC has substantially improved their quality over the years and has two distinct product lines in the motorcycle world. The cheap-o, no frills fiberglass entry level $150 helmets (still M2005 certified) and the upper crust, fancy, shiznit carbon fiber stuff-still very reasonable priced (around $400).

If the SA2005 HJC helmets are anywhere close to as comfortable as their M rated helmets are, I know my next helmet will be an HJC AC model. I heard, but have been unable to verify, that the HJC carbon fiber helmets are rebadged Schuberth helmets...can anyone confirm?

DavidM
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Always reflect on the size of your head.

If a round face fat head (like me)--go Bell (G-Force or Pyrotect also).

If a skinny face, thin head, go Simpson, Impact, Arai.

You still have to find the right size--try them on; but for generalizations to get to the correct manufacturer, the simple test outlined above works well.
[/b]

I definitely fall into the skinny face, thin head category and my Bell M2 Pro fits nicely. I hadn't heard the Simpson/Bell head thing before so I didn't know any better. I actually ordered mine over the Internet and the first one was a tad loose so I went one size smaller and it fits like a glove. Don't compromise on fit no matter what.

David

RacerBill
01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Anyone ever hear of ZAMP helmets? (Jeg's carries them)

IPRESS
01-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I had a Simpson Voyager, then switched to a MQ with the smaller eye opening. The eye opening is important to me and I have gone back to a Voyager for that reason. With the neck restraint the larger opening is much better for tin top racing.
Mac

Chris Wire
01-10-2007, 12:18 AM
My first helmet was a Bell Sport II which was very nice and served me well. The only problem was getting one to fit, as they are not sized numerically, they are SM, MED, LRG, XLRG.

My current helmet is a Bell M2 FA, which I love. Better sizing resulted in a fit far better than I expected, and I can wear my glasses without any trouble. Don't even notice that I'm wearing them. I also like that Bell has a nice selection of visors, even for the lesser priced helmets. I wanted a blue iridium to go with the paint scheme on the helmet, and was quite pleased to find that Bell supplied one even though my helmet was not from the higher-priced line.

Another consideration for those who feel pressure on the forehead later in a session. Check your balaclava. I used to wear a Simpson, which had stitching and a seam around the eyeport. Well the seam, together with the fit of the helmet, would drill right into my forehead. I switched to the Sparco single eyeport with no seam and the problem is gone.

Daryl DeArman
01-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Another consideration for those who feel pressure on the forehead later in a session. Check your balaclava.
[/b]

Good point Chris. With my Sport, I wore a balaclava that was carbon/kevlar blend--it was very thin without the vertical seam on the forehead--it made the helmet bearable for most of a session. My prior balaclava had a veritcal seam in the forehead that was the cause of most of the discomfort.

The Pyrotect really lacks adequate padding in the forehead area and my balaclava is a Carbon-X model without seams in the forehead area.

Try the helmet on with the balaclava on you intend to wear. If it is uncomfortable in 5 minutes, it most certainly will be in 30. Lastly, unless you are fortunate enough to have a head that fits a S/M/L/XL helmet well you might want to go with a model that offers hat sizes. I usually wear a 7 1/8, with some models that makes a pretty darn/too tight small or a way too big medium.

John Herman
01-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Definately try the helmet with the exact balaclava (if you choose to wear one) you will use. I ended up going up another 1/8" in size to make it comfortable.

backformore
01-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I'll second all the info about different manufacturers building to different head shapes. I will also second the previous comment about HJC. I used to have a REALLY expensive ARAI (motorcycle) helmet that never was comfortable. I got an HJC with a bike that I bought and have owned nothing else since (for motorcycles).

I have a G-Force racing helmet that is very comfortable. Does anyone know who sells HJC SA-rated helmets? I'll need to replace mine soon and would not hesitate to get an HJC.

sgallimo
01-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Besides hitting SafeQuip Tim at the track (or the SafeRacer display at the National Convention) how are you folks able to try on all of those different manufacturer / helmet size / balaclava combinations?

Daryl DeArman
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
As far as trying on all the different combinations---I used to have an auto racing safety equipment business, and I have been racing for 18+ years owning 6 different helmets.

I found HJC SA rated non-Carbon fiber models here:

http://www.extremesupply.com/hjchelmets/hjchelmets.htm

I found HJC SA rated Carbon fiber models here:

http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/HJCHelmet...utohelmets.html (http://www.thebellstore.com/Auto/HJCHelmets/hjcautohelmets.html)

Wreckerboy
01-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Besides hitting SafeQuip Tim at the track (or the SafeRacer display at the National Convention) how are you folks able to try on all of those different manufacturer / helmet size / balaclava combinations?
[/b]

In my case, I called the manufacturer looking for retailers in my area. When we bought my wife's helmet last year we were clued in to Behrent's ( http://behrents.com/index.htm ) in Florida, NY (near Ossining), which is primarily a circle track outfit that carries a large selection of helmets by various manufacturers. They were very accomodating, and let us try helmets on to our hearts content. In fact, they are an Impact dealer, so we are headed up there in the next few weeks to go through the same process for me.

lateapex911
01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
..... in Florida, NY........... [/b]

Whats that, some civic planners' idea of a cruel joke?????

Wreckerboy
01-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Whats that, some civic planners' idea of a cruel joke?????
[/b]

I prefer to think of it as boundless optimism.

JohnRW
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
...and it's much more liveable than Cuba, NY.

JimLill
01-11-2007, 06:00 PM
...and it's much more liveable than Cuba, NY.
[/b]

but not as nice as Mexico (NY) http://www.eastern-lake-ontario.com/januar...4_snowstorm.htm (http://www.eastern-lake-ontario.com/january_28_04_snowstorm.htm)

240zdave
01-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Well, after reviewing all of the really great advice, I decided on the Bell M2. I ordered it from Paula at SafeQuip, who assured me that if it did not fit, I could exchange it for the correct size with no restocking charges (Paula and Tim at SafeQuip are great to work with). Anyway, the helmet fits great, but I have another problem.

I have been wearing a Hutchens head-and-neck restraint device with my old helmet. I've been waiting for the Hans / SFI 38.1 / Isaac / Mandatory / Recommended mess to get sorted out before updating to something better, but in the meantime, I need to install the Hutchen D-rings on the M2. My old helmet was a Bieffe, and installation of the D-rings in it was easy because the liner was removable. It appears that the liner in the M2 is glued into the helmet. I have seen photos of the M2 online with D-rings installed, but can't figure out how to do it without ripping out the liner and reinstalling the liner with a hot-glue gun or something similar. Any thoughts on this dilemna? :blink:

Wreckerboy
01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
but not as nice as Mexico (NY) http://www.eastern-lake-ontario.com/januar...4_snowstorm.htm (http://www.eastern-lake-ontario.com/january_28_04_snowstorm.htm)
[/b]

But way closer than Wyoming, NY.

tdw6974
01-15-2007, 05:30 PM
[/b]
Since you are in NC check for some suppliers for the short tracks in the area. We have one near us that has 5 trucks on the road prices are generally very competitive and you can Try the Helmet on. T Weaver

I making the assumption it is ok to remocve the Hans attachment "Button" and install in New helmet.? T Weaver

Grumpa
01-22-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm one of the fatheads (7 3/4), so the Bells have worked well for me. My Sport expired last season and I have always gone by the "$10 head=$10 helmet" philosophy, so I anted up for one of the Bell M3 helmets. Comfortable fit for me, but the light weight really blows me away. The M3 feels like it weighs 1/2 of my old Sport.