PDA

View Full Version : SAAB 900 ITB

mikey
01-07-2007, 08:38 PM
IM building a saab 900 for ITB :blink: Im going to have pics soon. does any else race or drive a saab??

oh and its going to be FAST!!!!! MAHAHAHAHAHAHA :happy204:

Knestis
01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I've only seen one, and that was back in the '80s. Where are you located?
Have fun!
K

Greg Amy
01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
"Saab"? That's a Checkoslofuchian car, right...?

pfcs49
01-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Nat Wentworth ran one until last year (when he built a Volvo) fairly successfully. On second thought, maybe it was a 99. He's at 800 388 4418, daytime. phil

dick elliott
01-08-2007, 07:08 AM
RMR through out the 80s. Then it was turned in to a ralley car.

RSTPerformance
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Besides Nat's their is also a yellow one running around the Northeast... However Nat is the only "front running" one that I have seen... He did very well in it :)

Raymond

lateapex911
01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Tom Tarasovic, (For the few that might remember him...) ran an ITB SAAB and a SSB (?) 900. The SS stock car was his wifes (wowza, LOL) and spent a fair amount of time on the outside of corners in terminal understeer, while the ITB car did better in that dept.

He loved them, for some reason, but he was challenged in the power dept and had his handful getting them to turn. But there is a lot of knowledge out there on them, even if it's mostly rally info.

Nat did do pretty well with his. He might be a good resource.

HONDA69
01-08-2007, 08:53 PM
You might also contact Jack Baxter - S& J Automotive, Atlanta, GA (404) 351-7222 Owns and used to run a SAAB 99. Can provide lots of info on set-up and handling, Was last seen at a 24 hours of Nelsons (Longest DAY) - GOOD LUCK :D

Bildon
01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
>> Im going to have pics soon. does any else race or drive a saab??

There used to be a bunch of them in the NEDiv. back in the day. They never got any faster, while the rest of us did. I haven't seen one in a while.

Ha det god! :P

JohnRW
01-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I have a hazy, distant memory of a 900 on its side or its roof, blowing that huge expanse of rear glass all over T1 at the Glen. Don't remember the 'who' or 'why'.

I had 900's at street beaters for ~15 years. Great cars on the street. Can't imagine that they would make particularly good race cars. Nose-heavy wallowing pigs.

lateapex911
01-09-2007, 09:45 AM
. Can't imagine that they would make particularly good race cars. Nose-heavy wallowing pigs. [/b]

Saabs? Or Audis? ;)

RSTPerformance
01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I had 900's at street beaters for ~15 years. Great cars on the street. Can't imagine that they would make particularly good race cars. Nose-heavy wallowing pigs.
[/b]

As jake sorta said, thats what they all USED to say about the Audi's ;)

lateapex911
01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
As jake sorta said, thats what they all USED to say about the Audi's ;) [/b]
Thats the way to read between the lines!

(thats what i meant, exactamundo......)

mikey
01-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Im going to take pics today of the car so far. but we are working with scca because the car does weigh alot (2680!!!) but we have got our saabs to handly very good for a 2680lb car but once I get the car on track Im going to start writing scca for a weight reduction. I belive we got one for FP it should in Fast tracks soon!

Jacksonville, FL

Knestis
01-14-2007, 10:11 AM
If that model didn't get adjusted in the Great IT Weight Shuffle, it might be due for revisiting. When you send your request, you should probably specifically ask that the weight specification be "reviewed to determine if it is consistent with current weight-setting practices" or some such. There's no mechanism in place to allow a request based on "it's too heavy" or "we can't make it fast enough at this weight," but the system does currently seem agreeable about making sure that all cars have been "run through the process."

K

eprodrx7
01-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Saab... Been there done that. I actually drove the yellow one in the NE last time it actually hit the track. Ron Wilcox owned the car but has since sold it. I think the best I could must was ~106 at LRP. Nothing to brag about but the car is definatly limited weight and lack of aftermarket bits for the suspension. If I remember correctly we were on Kumhos, Saab factory "rally" springs, and Koni yellow shocks. Locking the diff helped but the car suffered from terminal understeer. Radical rear toe setting got it to rotate better but made it a hanfull to drive.

RSTPerformance
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Saab... Been there done that. I actually drove the yellow one in the NE last time it actually hit the track. Ron Wilcox owned the car but has since sold it. I think the best I could must was ~106 at LRP. Nothing to brag about but the car is definatly limited weight and lack of aftermarket bits for the suspension. If I remember correctly we were on Kumhos, Saab factory "rally" springs, and Koni yellow shocks. Locking the diff helped but the car suffered from terminal understeer. Radical rear toe setting got it to rotate better but made it a hanfull to drive.
[/b]

John-

I think that the new owners are playing with it... Last year at the "Rain" test day on tuesday prior to the Runoffs, they were pited next to us, and running a yellow Saab... We hung out for a while. They seemed to be having fun, but I don't think they are going to do SCCA ITB, I think if I remember correctly they wanted to do vintage stuff??? but the car isn't old enough so maybe I am mixing up some conversations... Anyway I did see the car, and it still out playing on the track!!!

Raymond

Hans
01-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Call Brad Schaffner at http://www.kcsaab.com (call, don't email). He's got a lot of experience and can give you some tips. Nice guy, helpful. He's currently got a couple circle track 900s that do well; he's also done some SCCA stuff. You can do a DIY of the spring set-up he'll mention and may try to sell you -- use stock car weight jackers, narrow the lower front perches to fit very common 5-inch springs (Saab are 5.5). Let me know if you want details - I made my own.

Quaife now makes a diff for the 900. Contact Scanwest Autosport in Seattle. Ask for Rob Walden. He's campaigned two Saabs to Pro-Rally championships and, in addition to being able to get you a Quaife, he knows as much about 900 gearboxes as anyone. http://www.scanwestauto.com

You can get a clutch diff from Sweden, but they are VERY expensive.

If you are REALLY good with electronics, and have a 16V motor, you can put a Megasquirt in the Bosch ECU box (been done a number of times). HOWEVER, (and this is where the skill comes in) you need to figure out how to use the stock MAF sensor, which has been done on other cars, but I highly doubt a Saab. MS uses a MAP sensor usually.

For a header, contact Motor Sport Service 716.665.4200.

If your car is an 88+ get cheap used 15x6 rims from a 9000.

You might find some helpful information here: http://www.saabrally.com/forums/index.php -- these guys are club rallyers in 99s and 900s. You might also find some helpful info at http://www.icerace.com -- there are some, uh, ice racers there running 900s. And you might find some helpful info at http://www.specialstage.com in their Construction forum. I know, none of this is road racing-oriented, but it's better than the typical Saab-oriented forums.

mikey
01-21-2007, 02:23 AM
Thank you Hans for the info but we have already done ALL that and WAY MORE to get these Saabs up to speed. Like I said if the SCCA helps us out just a little bit and we get the bugs worked out I know we can do very well in these FRAKIN TANKS!!!!!!!! LOL I Just cant wait to get on the track! :eclipsee_steering:

wdether
01-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Len Schrader ((800) 627-0616), of Reinertsen Motors, runs a 99 in vintage (HRG) and may own the yellow Wilcox 900. I seem to remember another 900 in the NEDIV a few years ago. Give Len a call, he might have some tips for you.

Bill Etherington
NNJR