PDA

View Full Version : Ford Expedition w/24' trailer ...

Darren
01-06-2007, 05:52 PM
I have a 2005 Ford Expedition w/the 5.4 & tow package. Does anyone have any good/bad info on towing a 24' enclosed trailer w/the Expedition (or similar GM/Dodge SUV)? :eclipsee_steering:

JLawton
01-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Don't do. The Expedition is too light.

I wouldn't even attempt an enclosed with my F150 Super Crew.

Andy Bettencourt
01-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Too light?

I had a 2001 with teh 5.4 and tow package. The load-leveling suspension is nice and it tows nice. The OHC allows you to run up the revs on hills. Wouldn't plan on it for more than a couple seasons but it will do for now.

JLawton
01-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Duh!!! I was thinking Explorer, not Expedition!!!

Never mind!! :blink:

JoshS
01-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Duh!!! I was thinking Explorer, not Expedition!!!
Never mind!! :blink:
[/b]
I was gonna say ... I mean, my '03 Expedition weighs about 5600 lbs withOUT people and cargo, based on the scales at the local dump ...

But I've noticed with a 20' enclosed that the engine has to work pretty hard at highway speeds to maintain 70mph. I've got the 5.4L and the 3.73 gears, tow package. But it's great with the open trailer. The newer ones do have a bit more power (3 valves/cylinder).

Darren
01-06-2007, 06:56 PM
JLawton ... "Don't do it. The Expedition is too light. I wouldn't even attempt an enclosed w/my F-150 SuperCrew."

OG ... I had an '02 F-150 SuperCrew & was gonna say that the Expedition has a higher tow capacity than my F-150 did. :eclipsee_steering:

JLawton ... "Duh!!! I was thinking Explorer, not Expedition!!!"

OG ... And I thought that I was the only one who did stuff like that. :D

its66
01-06-2007, 10:17 PM
OG,
I tow a 24 ft enclosed with an '02 supercrew F150 5.4 tow pkg, and 3.55 gear. It does fine for the flatlands here in Florida. It might be stressed in the mountains though. Yours EXP has more power and torque, so I would assume you would have no issues.

YMMV

handfulz28
01-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Does that Exp have independent rear suspension (IRS)? Forgive me for not being up on my fords. Can the IRS handle a heavy load like a leaf spring/solid axle can?
You can do it, but the truck isn't going to like it, and that's on flat terrain. If you'll tow through hills/mountains forget it. It's not just the dead weight of the trailer, but the wind resistance; it's like pulling a big heavy brick.
With the wheelbase of the Exp, sway will be an issue. Make sure you've got LT tires on there and be diligent about psi. You'll probably also want an additional tranny cooler (yes, an extra one over and above whatever came from the factory tow pkg).
I personally like to tow at the speed limit or up to 5mph over when perfect conditions allow. I also like to have a safe margin of my tow vehicle's capacity. IMHO, a 24' enclosed should be pulled with a 3/4ton pickup/SUV.
As Jim stated YMMV, but above all else be safe.
Good luck, have fun,
Michael

Darren
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM
handfulz28 ... "Does the Expedition have IRS? Can the IRS handle a heavy load like a leaf spring/solid axle can?"
(G) Yes, it does have IRS. However, the tow rating (8,900 lbs) exceeds that of any F-150 w/the 5.4 2-valve engine.

handfulz28 ... "It's not just the dead weight of the trailer, but the wind resistance."
(G) I can't imagine it being any worse than towing w/a truck in that regard.

handfulz28 ... "With the wheelbase of the Expedition, sway will be an issue."
(G) 120" is too short? :(

handfulz28 ... "Make sure you've got LT tires on there & be diligent about psi."
(G) I plan on "upgrading" to some BFG LT tires ASAP. Air pressure not an issue as I am anal about it in all of my vehicles.

handfulz28 ... "You'll probably also want an additional trans cooler (yes, an extra one over & above whatever came from the factory tow pkg)."
(G) Hmmmm ... sumpin' to think about. Thank you.

handfulz28 ... "I personally like to tow at the speed limit or up to 5mph over when perfect conditions allow. I also like to have a safe margin of my tow vehicle's capacity. IMHO, a 24' enclosed should be pulled w/a 3/4 ton pickup/SUV."
(G) Ahhhh, to live in a perfect world where we could all own just the right vehicle for every application. However, at this point in my life (retired), that is not really an option. However, the consensus seems to be that I can make the Expedition work, but just don't take any Interstate north of I/40 on my east/west trips. B) To all of you nice folks who responded ... THANK YOU!!!

handfulz28
01-12-2007, 03:18 PM
G, you didn't quote the most important part:
but above all else be safe. Good luck, have fun,[/b]
:D
I hope you didn't take my commentary as saying you couldn't/shouldn't do it, just set it up well. If you haven't, please invest in a weight distributing (WD) setup with a sway bar. If the EXP has load leveling, that's good, but I'd bet if you check the sticker of your hitch, the highest tow ratings are reserved for a WD setup.

FWIW, I've got a Yukon XL, 3/4 ton with a 496ci (8.1L) that's "rated" for up to 12k lbs. In addition to my 24' enclosed (8k lbs loaded), I recently started towing a 9k lb boat. Here in south Florida, the biggest "hill" I have to deal with is a highway overpass and occassional bridge. My truck gets it done, but it gets one heck of a workout.

Just a sidebar piece of data for anyone else who happens along this thread: "tow ratings" are more a function of engine power/axle ratio/transmission load capacity than they are a "blank check" to go out and tow the max cap in all conditions.

Because we can't say it enough, be safe, good luck, have fun,
Michael

manny
01-20-2007, 06:52 AM
i have a 2000 EXP and i tow an open style trailer with an ITB car on it and it towes just fine. my question is; the trailer i have has brakes and i was wondering how do i hook them up? it looks like under the EXP there has been an adapter of some type to convert the trucks wiring to a standard 4 wire plug and my trailer has the round plug for the brakes. i've opened the center console and it looks like there's some empty connectors to plug the brake box that i bought, is that possible? any help would great thank you.

mattbatson
01-23-2007, 09:01 PM
I guess first question is do you know what the weight of your trailer is loaded...

I would think it should be way under your tow capacity of 9K...

Shouldnt be a problem from what I can see.

ccearlock
01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
I regularly tow my 20' enclosed with my 4.6l 2002 F150 with a tow package and 3.55 gears. My truck maintains speeds up to 61-62 mph on flatland pretty effortlessly (2200-2700 rpm). That seems to be the sweet spot. It can struggle to maintain 65-70 mph. It depends on the conditions (wind, hills...). I don't try to hold those speeds unless I'm really anxious to get home after a long weekend and the conditions allow it. I have one small pass that I go over to get to Laguna Seca (Pacheco Pass). It can do it at 60, but that's at 4000-4500 rpms. I just keep it to about 3000 rpms and I can go about 50 mph. Fuel mileage sucks and it doesn't matter how I drive. It's 9-10 mpg while towing.

I have the stabilizer bars for the trailer but I don't have the right hitch to use them. After my first couple of tows, I decided I didn't need anything else. The whole setup is very stable and pulls nicely.

Having said all that, yes, a diesel, or a big block and a one ton might be the ideal setup, but I'm pretty content with how my truck does the job. I am positive that you will be happy with the job your 5.4l Expedition does. (I do not know anything about the suspension though). Happy towing.

JLawton
01-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Remember, the important issue is not how well it "goes" but how well it stops!! ;)

Darren
01-24-2007, 11:40 AM
"Remember, the important issue is not how well it "goes" but how well it stops!"

Amen to that, Brother Lawton. :o

ccearlock
01-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Stopping seems fine to me, but I've never towed this trailer with anything else. The trailer brakes really help a lot if they're set properly. Lawton, you should try towing an enclosed just once with your F150. I think you'll be surprised.

kbrewMR2
01-25-2007, 03:18 AM
so an Expy towing an ITA MR2 on an open trailer should be childs play I take it?

JoshS
01-25-2007, 03:56 AM
Yes, no problem. I used to tow a far heavier autocross car with mine. Use load-leveling bars and trailer brakes, and it's quite comfortable.

Of course, now that I've been using a diesel for the last 2 years, I'm never going back for any long-distance stuff. The Expedition with the open trailer fought fairly hard to maintain 60mph going up hills that the diesel with the 40' gooseneck with two cars can do easily at the same speed.

http://members.roadfly.com/jsirota/loadedup.jpg

Jeremy Billiel
01-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Stopping seems fine to me, but I've never towed this trailer with anything else. The trailer brakes really help a lot if they're set properly. Lawton, you should try towing an enclosed just once with your F150. I think you'll be surprised.
[/b]

No thanks! I have driven Lawton's truck and the brakes IMO are marginal at best. With an enclosed back there I would be very uncomfortable.

Once I drove a Diesel, I will NEVER go back!

ccearlock
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Jeremy,

Yes, your diesel would be the better choice, but you say Lawtons F150 brakes were "marginal at best" towing an open trailer? Wow. What in your opinion is the most weight that an Expedition or a F150 can safely tow with electric trailer brakes back there? I trust the open trailer you pulled had brakes.

racer_tim
01-25-2007, 10:22 PM
When I towed back from Portland Rose Cup in June 2003, I got 16 mpg with my dual axle open trailer, VW Wabbit, 8 tires on the rack, and the entire bed of my 1998 Dodge 2500 4x4, Quad Cab, Turbo Diesel, filled with tools, parts, etc. Tonnau cover also helps, as well as the 4" turbo to tail-pipe exhaust, and the SuperChips programming of the ECU.

Sweet spot for it is about 1,900 rpm, at about 64 mph

You hardly know the trailer / car are behind you.

ccearlock
01-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Oops, sorry Jeremy. You didn't say you towed anything with that F150.

Ron Earp
02-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Don't do. The Expedition is too light.

I wouldn't even attempt an enclosed with my F150 Super Crew.
[/b]

Too light? I've towed 1000s of miles with a 20 ft enclosed and my Lightning. No problems whatsoever. Tows good, stops good, can't ask for anything more. Truck weighs about 4600 lbs, certainly lighter than a lot of rigs but I don't have a problem with it.

Heck think about the trucks they towed with 25-30 years ago - far worse than many of our med and some light trucks, but folks still did the same things they do today.

R

bimmerpower
02-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I would chime in that towing a 24' enclosed trailer with an expedition ( or similar sized vehicle ) is not well advised. its not about towing capacity / engine power, but more about mass.

If you have that trailer loaded up, and pull with an expedition, it doesnt take much for that trailer to take the truck along for a ride.

Check out my post about half way down this thread: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=...der=asc&start=0 (http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

I had a properly loaded trailer, and was towing with my 03 expedition with a 24' trailer. some crosswinds and a passing semi got the trailer moving, and we were along for the ride. we were lucky...

i will never tow this size trailer without my 1 ton dually. the towing is night and day.

just another viewpoint.

wade powell
above all motorwerks

94sm
02-09-2007, 07:36 PM
FWIW, I've towed a 20' enclosed w/ an Expedition. I tried to keep the trailer as light as possible but it's prob still 6500-7000lbs. With a weight distribution hitch, it was white knuckles every time I passed a semi. Added the Equal-i-zer weight distribution/sway control hitch and was able to drive the rig w/ one hand.

Also, the stock pads on the Ford is pretty aweful. I've tried both Performance Friction Z-Rated and Hawk LTS, and it was like racing with stock pads vs Hawk Blues. No more glazed brake feeling, great initial bite and progressive pedal.

My Exp had the tow package and 3.73 rear end. On long incline, I just rev it at 4-5K rpm in 2nd gear and unless it's a very long flat area, I ran w/ Overdrive off most of the time to keep it from hunting. It never complained but the gas gauge certainly did. The Exp started its towing life w/ 100K miles on the clock.

JoshS
02-09-2007, 08:18 PM
FWIW, I've towed a 20' enclosed w/ an Expedition. I tried to keep the trailer as light as possible but it's prob still 6500-7000lbs. With a weight distribution hitch, it was white knuckles every time I passed a semi. Added the Equal-i-zer weight distribution/sway control hitch and was able to drive the rig w/ one hand.

Also, the stock pads on the Ford is pretty aweful. I've tried both Performance Friction Z-Rated and Hawk LTS, and it was like racing with stock pads vs Hawk Blues. No more glazed brake feeling, great initial bite and progressive pedal.

My Exp had the tow package and 3.73 rear end. On long incline, I just rev it at 4-5K rpm in 2nd gear and unless it's a very long flat area, I ran w/ Overdrive off most of the time to keep it from hunting. It never complained but the gas gauge certainly did. The Exp started its towing life w/ 100K miles on the clock.
[/b]
I too have towed a 20' enclosed with an '03 Expedition (2nd-generation). Truck weighs about 5800lbs, BTW. 5.4L, 3.73, towing package. I used a standard weight-distribution setup and friction-based anti-sway. I never had any white knuckle moments at all, but it drank gas like I drink Coke (i.e., too much). It's a great tow with the open trailer though.

I think for an enclosed trailer, you really want a diesel.

Ron Earp
02-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Despite the weight I've never had any trouble towing or anything. I generally run about 65-70mph, probably not as fast as some of you, or maybe even slow sometimes. It does tow better with an open rig, but since I only use my truck for towing about 5% of the time I didn't want to purchase a truck based on a 5% duty. Besides, I visit Europe frequently (used too, slacked off lately)and have lots of friends there who tow race cars with stuff you wouldn't dream of here, they just don't have what we have and gas is $7 a gallon. They get by just fine!

I've put one of these up before, but here's Malcolm and I loading up the 40 on an open with his Audi 100 for a 4 hour tow to Donnington. Worked great!!!! I'm not discounting what you guys are saying at all, larger truck is certainly better I'd say. But, smaller ones can get it done too. I sometimes run off OD as well, turning about 3000 RPM or so. Doesn't seem to affect the mileage at all.

http://www.gt40s.com/images/towsmall.JPG

lateapex911
02-10-2007, 02:29 AM
I LOVE the British, but....thier townig customs make even me raise my eyebrows sometimes, LOL.

Some great towing disasters on YouTube involve Brits and "caravans"

Ron Earp
02-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I beleive that in a heartbeat! When you drive around England and Germany in the summer when everyone has their trailers out you would not believe what you see. I wish I'd taken some photos in Germany year before last, man o man. I'm not saying this is safe, or ideal, but we've got it good over here in the US and certainly "over tow" to an extent, must be that manly man thing in us.

Ron