PDA

View Full Version : IT Wheel Size ...

Darren
01-06-2007, 05:22 PM
"SCCA now allows cars in the IT classes that came w/a 12", 13" &/or 14" wheel to upgrade to a 15" wheel. In the proposed ITR class, any car that came w/a 16" or smaller wheel will be allowed to upgrade to a 17" wheel. Why not just continue to dictate the rim width (as is currently being done) & let the wheel diameter be free in all IT classes? This will allow the entire IT class to continually "float" w/current tire technology w/out the CRB getting involved in micro managing the class as it is doing w/the currently written rule(s).

The existing bodywork rule ("Fenders & wheel opening shall remain unmodified") is self governing & the basic engineering concept of diminishing returns will keep most racers from going "ghetto" w/rim diameters. Or is the CRB really concerned about some IT driver fitting 18x6 rims on his/her ITC Hyundai Excel?"

I have submitted the above request to the CRB. Whether you would, or would not, like to see this implemented, please let the CRB know ASAP. I would rather the decision be made w/the input of those directly involved in the IT classes than by a small group of those who are not.

Doc Bro
01-06-2007, 05:46 PM
I think the language is there to prevent huge disparities in final drive ratio. I'm not 100% sure of the intent but that sort of makes sense to me. I highly doubt that it is an "esthetic" thing.

R

Darren
01-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Doc Bro ... "I think the language is there to prevent huge disparities in final drive ratio."

Please explain? Final drive ratio (w/in the OE housing) is free in IT. And if everyone is provided w/the same advantage, where is the "huge disparity"? :unsure: