PDA

View Full Version : IT Wheel Size ...

Darren
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
"SCCA now allows cars in the IT classes that came w/a 12", 13" &/or 14" wheel to upgrade to a 15" wheel. In the proposed ITR class, any car that came w/a 16" or smaller wheel will be allowed to upgrade to a 17" wheel. Why not just continue to dictate the rim width (as is currently being done) & let the wheel diameter be free in all IT classes? This will allow the entire IT class to continually "float" w/current tire technology w/out the CRB getting involved in micro managing the class as it is doing w/the currently written rule(s).

The existing bodywork rule ("Fenders & wheel opening shall remain unmodified") is self governing & the basic engineering concept of diminishing returns will keep most racers from going "ghetto" w/rim diameters. Or is the CRB really concerned about some IT driver fitting 18x6 rims on his/her ITC Hyundai Excel?"

I have submitted the above request to the CRB. Whether you would, or would not, like to see this implemented, please let the CRB know ASAP. I would rather the decision be made w/the input of those directly involved in the IT classes than by a small group of those who are not.

lateapex911
01-07-2007, 06:38 PM
"....... I would rather the decision be made w/the input of those directly involved in the IT classes than by a small group of those who are not. [/b]

Just as a point of order and information, decisions to requests like this come mostly from the ITAC (Improved Touring Advosory Committee), with CRB members involved, and acting as the final approval or veto agent.

The ITAC is made up of SCCA members with deep IT racing experience, and numbers, in general, from 7-9 individuals with varied brand and geographical experience.

Furthermore, the CRB is made up of racers as well, and a significant number are currently competing in the IT category. So.....I don't think that your premise is entirely true..

BUT...member input on ALL matters is ALWAYS encouraged.