PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen Oil Cooler Aftermarket Replacement

srollman
01-06-2007, 03:04 PM
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I haven't really found a good answer yet.

I'm in need of replacing my under-radiator oil cooler. The stock cooler has cracked at the bung, been rewelded, and cracked again. I think it is now beyond repair. I have tried a 2nd Gen oil cooler, which worked but dropped my oil pressure beyond my comfort level at high temps.

I'd like to avoid purchasing another Mazda cooler. Does anyone have a positive experience with any of the aftermarket ones?

mustanghammer
01-07-2007, 02:36 AM
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I haven't really found a good answer yet.

I'm in need of replacing my under-radiator oil cooler. The stock cooler has cracked at the bung, been rewelded, and cracked again. I think it is now beyond repair. I have tried a 2nd Gen oil cooler, which worked but dropped my oil pressure beyond my comfort level at high temps.

I'd like to avoid purchasing another Mazda cooler. Does anyone have a positive experience with any of the aftermarket ones?
[/b]

We have a couple of EP Racers that have added aftermarket coolers in series with an OE cooler. But no one in the KC area runs only an aftermarket cooler on their cars. Basically what we have found is that the OE coolers work well and the aftermarket equiv. is very pricy - around $500. My advice would be to get another 1st gen OE cooler to replace the one that failed. When I needed another cooler I got a used one from:

Shop name: Rotary Doctor
Owner: Kyle Seaman
Phone: (417) 451-9661

The price was right and the cooler works great. I actually use this cooler in series with another OE cooler in the summer months and it works really well. My oil pressure runs right up to factory spec.

tdw6974
01-07-2007, 06:29 AM

[/b]
I have a used 1st gen Cooler in good condition if you can't locate an afterrmarket cooler. I wonder why the 2nd Gen lowered oil pressure? They appear to be about same size? :eclipsee_steering:

dick elliott
01-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Been useing the FC coolers for ever, with no oil pressure drop. You must remove the t-stat, and plug the hole, and its a good idea on any used cooler, to have it cleaned. Just like oil filters, one big cooler does a better job than two small ones. My 2 cents worth.

Speed Raycer
01-07-2007, 08:28 AM
For ultrasonic cleaning those used coolers, get in touch with www.sracing.com They did a great job on my coolers. IIRC they're located in Memphis and turnaround was pretty darn quick!

Let them know Izzy's Custom Cages sent you ;)

C. Ludwig
01-07-2007, 09:25 AM
You should not see a pressure drop from switching to a 2nd gen oil cooler. Like has been mentioned, get it cleaned before dropping a bunch of money on another cooler setup. The stock Mazda coolers are EXCELLENT coolers. It's hard to match their cooling with anything from the aftermarket without dropping lots of money.

tdw6974
01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
You must remove the t-stat, and plug the hole
[/b]
Dick, Bear with me as we have never pulled our cooler(yet). We are still using the stock cooler with stock hoses ( have the Braided lines for winter project) and we are looking to up grade oil cooling we are lucky in we have a shop nearby that can build whatever we want ( his welds are works of art) will retain same mounts as stock FC. Apparently oil cooler has a thermostat built In?? :unsure: thanks T Weaver :eclipsee_steering:

dick elliott
01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Very easy fix. Just unscrew the big plug from the cooler and you'll see the t-stat inside. After you remove the t-stat. you'll see a 3/8" or so hole. This must be taped for a plug or the oil will bypass the cooler. I think it takes a 3/8-16 or 18 or a 3/8-24 to plug the hole. Then send it out to be cleaned. Then use an allen with copper washer and locktight to finish the job. Use #10 an lines and mount the cooler somewhere in front of the rad. Now you can use that extra space under your old rad to install a bigger rad.