PDA

View Full Version : Front spoiler/air dam

shwah
01-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe I am missing something, but I was just giving the 2007 rules a front to back read and noticed that something that I thought was allowed, apparently is not.

I recall the spoiler being allowed to be installed with a minimum clearance hieght that is no lower than the wheel rim. Maybe I am just missing it, but I do not see this noted here:

b. A front spoiler/air dam is permitted. It shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above perpendicular to the ground, or aft of the forward most part of the front fender opening. This body outline does not include bumpers or bumper mounts. The spoiler/air dam shall be mounted to the body, and may extend no higher than four (4) inches above the horizontal centerline of the front wheel hubs. It shall not cover the normal grille opening(s) at the front of the car. Openings are permitted for the purposes of ducting air to the brakes, cooler, and radiator. Dealer installed or limited production front/rear spoilers/air dams/wings are prohibited. The spoiler shall have no support or reinforcement extending aft of the forward most part of the front fender wheel opening.
NOTE: Integrated bumper assemblies are defined as those designs where an external non-metallic bumper cover completely encloses the primary energy-absorbing bumper and where this cover could be installed in its normal position with the underlying bumper removed. On cars with integrated bumpers, the front spoiler or airdam may be attached to the bumper cover.
Where an air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings may be cut in the front valance to allow the passage of up to a three (3) inch diameter duct leading to each front brake/rotor assembly.
Where no air dam/spoiler is used, two total openings of a maximum size five (5) inches by seven (7) inches maybe cut in the front valance so that brake ducts can be added with a three (3) inch diameter hose leading to each front brake/rotor assembly.

c. No part of the car, except for the exhaust system and suspension components, shall be lower than the lowest part of the wheel rims.

Did this get changed?
Is my memory wrong?
Is it written right here in my post and I just can't see it?

:(

Andy Bettencourt
01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Is it April Fools day? :D

You bolded the rule that tells you how low your stuff can be. No change from 2006.

shwah
01-06-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm just stupid. :P

I was reading the bolded part as allowing those items to be that low, thus all others would fit the 5" rule. Of course it says they may be lower than that (although that would require lots of exhaust mainenance).

lateapex911
01-07-2007, 06:47 PM
And it's one reason folks go with lower profile tires when they are doing their tire profile/final drive math jiggering. All else being equal, lower profile means lower air dam, and most folks think lower is better. (On track that is)

Greg Amy
01-07-2007, 06:56 PM
...and, the larger the wheel diameter, the lower the airdam relative to wheel centerline...

pfcs49
01-07-2007, 08:15 PM
so what?

shwah
01-08-2007, 08:46 AM
And on a mac strut car, the smaller the OD the lower the car without going into bad geometry territory.

Lots of good reasons to run small/low profile tires. Maybe I should take another look at 225/45-13s...

ddewhurst
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Adding a bit to the front spoiler/air dam thread. How many people have added a front spoiler/air dam reducing the grille opening size in the process & or removed OEM parts that were part of the front of the car before the spoiler/air dam were added & now those parts would be behind or intergrated into the added spoiler/air dam if the OEM parts were not removed?

For example I'll refer to the 1st gen RX-7 because I am familar with that car which has three parts that fall into this discussion. There is a (A.) under cover (covers everything from the bottom side from the trailing edge of the valance to the front chassis cross member that the lower control arms are attached to), the (B.)grille (plastic slats) & the (C.) valance (plastic part from fender to fender & ataches to the under cover & attaches to the bumper).

When adding a spoiler/air dam is it legal or illegal to remove these three identified OEM parts?

Curious ;)
David

RSTPerformance
01-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Adding a bit to the front spoiler/air dam thread. How many people have added a front spoiler/air dam reducing the grille opening size in the process & or removed OEM parts that were part of the front of the car before the spoiler/air dam were added & now those parts would be behind or intergrated into the added spoiler/air dam if the OEM parts were not removed?

For example I'll refer to the 1st gen RX-7 because I am familar with that car which has three parts that fall into this discussion. There is a (A.) under cover (covers everything from the bottom side from the trailing edge of the valance to the front chassis cross member that the lower control arms are attached to), the (B.)grille (plastic slats) & the (C.) valance (plastic part from fender to fender & ataches to the under cover & attaches to the bumper).

When adding a spoiler/air dam is it legal or illegal to remove these three identified OEM parts?

Curious ;)
David
[/b]

Good question david...

another way to look at it...

1. many cars have a lower grill below the bumper, some integrated into the original factory spoiler, some as a seperate piece that attaches to the unibody structure. When they are not attached to the spoiler manytimes the factory spoiler is designed to go around this grill. Can that grill be moved/modified/blocked/removed to incorperate a new spoiler?

2. Seperate from the grill issue, can the original spoiler be modified or removed completely to install your spoiler?

Raymond

lateapex911
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Curious ;)
David [/b]

Not that I am aware of.....