PDA

View Full Version : 2000 F350DRW 7.0 turbo diesel

StephenB
01-04-2007, 02:24 PM
My 2000 Ford is blowing Blue smoke on start up... I don't know much about deisels other than the old buses I drove at UNH smoked on start-up... I am thinking that the newer deisel engines shouldn't smoke at all unless something is wrong. (Am I right?) Anyone know anything about these beasts that may be able to help? It only does it for the first start-up then it's clear after you drive it a little bit. (2-3 min.) Then if you go shopping and restart it it is fine, no smoke. Let it sit overnight and it smokes again!

Engine has less than 100 miles on it and it was replaced by a Ford Dealer 3 weeks ago. I have called them and they are going to get back to me but I figured I would try to ask some peers before the profesionals tell me that's the way they are....

Thanks,
Stephen

seckerich
01-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Sounds like the oil seal in the turbo. They will leak down overnight and smoke on start up. Did it smoke before the new motor?

RSTPerformance
01-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Stephen probably wont reply right away so I figured I would jump in...

Log story short everything was replaced including the Motor, Turbo and Injectors so I wouldn't think that "before" would matter to much :( If it does matter though, I don't remember it smoking before :)

Raymond

Jeremy Billiel
01-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Stephen probably wont reply right away so I figured I would jump in...

Log story short everything was replaced including the Motor, Turbo and Injectors so I wouldn't think that "before" would matter to much :( If it does matter though, I don't remember it smoking before :)

Raymond
[/b]

How many miles were on the truck? I don;t hear on 7.3 needing a complete overhaul unless it had over 300K on the clock.

StephenB
01-05-2007, 11:06 AM
It has about 164,000. A clip on the air cleaner was broken and I never noticed it. So it has been sucking in dirt and actually sandblasted the inside of the turbo and the block. Also messed up the injectors.

The end result is that it Ran just had a lack of power. The big problrm I had was that after sitting for a few days it would not restart. (No compresion, which is needed for the injectors to fire) They said if I replaced the injectors and drove it every day it should run and I could get away with running it for a while.

I don't want to drive it everyday and I certainly didn't want to get stranded at a track in the middle of nowhere! Since injectors cost almost 3g's I am close enough to depleting my savings that I just went for the complete overhaul.

It never smoked before and that is why I didn't think it should smoke now. The dealer did call me back and they were very nice about it. I am bringing it back in and they are going to replace the injectors free of charge as they seem to think that is the issue. I'll let you know if that fixes it. The turbo comes attached to the engine assembly in the crate so I wonder if the seal was bad from the factory...

At least I'm not paying for it to be fixed anymore! In the end sometimes it is better to take it to the dealer!
Stephen

DavidM
01-05-2007, 01:15 PM
How cold is it there? Some blue smoke on start-up when it's cold is normal. I don't drive mine every day so I usually get a little bit when it first starts if it's cold. Diesels like to be hot to run so it's not uncommon to get some smoke when they're first fired up, especially when it's cold out. Go to www.thedieselstop.com in the 7.3L engine forum and do a search. You'll get lots of info. If you still have questions post a message.

You may want to look at getting the AIS filter kit installed on your truck. The stock filter box is a PoS. The AIS has a much better filter and seals much better. Search for AIS on the The Diesel Stop.

David

88YB1
01-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Blue smoke indicates burning oil. On a turbo charged diesel engine a puff of blue smoke is normal on start up. Because the turbo engine is pressurized no valve stem oil seals are needed or installed. They will however suck oil past the guides until the turbo spools up. This is normal and should not be a reason for alarm. Also, turbo charged diesel engines will suck oil around the guides when at idle. If the blue smoke goes away when you raise the RPM then it is normal. If it continues to produce blue smole then you have a problem which should be checked out by a diesel mechanic.

Chuck

StephenB
01-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys for the insight. The truck is still at the dealer and they are looking inot a possible injector issue so they are replacing them free of charge. I told them to keep it as long as they like since I don't need it back for a few months! (Wish I didn't have to pay the loan for a few months!) Eitherway they took it back with no issues. Next week I am going to give them a call for an update.

Stephen