PDA

View Full Version : How much to get started. Realy!

Triarii
01-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Im looking to get started racing in IT by next or the summer after that. How much does it take to get started? Is ~$3500 for a car in the ball park? I would love to hear any advice you can heap on a future rolling chicane. Thanks for your help. BTW Im located on Long Island if that bears any meaning.

-Tom

tcpip
01-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Car, yes. I bought mine for a bit less than that. A couple of gremlins I have to fix, and there was no engine work done. So $3500 is possible, just don't expect to win. What about a trailer? I don't have one, so that's going to be another $1000-$1500, unless i go the cheap route and get a tow dolly ($500). Thankfully I'll be able to borrow my brothers truck for a tow vehicle. Otherwise, that would be at least another $2000 on a truck that I would to pray doesn't break on me. You are factoring in several hundred for tires, right?

Speed Raycer
01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/

Best $$$ you'll spend

Buy the best car you can afford. Package deals (ones with trailers) are always the best value.

if you can ultimately get your comp. license for under 5K (assuming you buy/build your own car) you're doing pretty good.

RSTPerformance
01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Tom-

You can do it as cheep as you need to... It really depends how dependable and how fast you want to do it.

When I started with my brother, we probably invested $3,000 -$4,000 or so into 2 cars.

That consisted of getting the donor cars ($500 investment for each one)
Gutting them out on our own.
Having a cage built ($800 - $1,000 each)
Putting in hand me down safety equipment, and asked santa for some stuff such as fire extinguisher, helmet, belts, etc.
It was imprtant for us, that we had donar parts cars (we drove similar cars on the street) and a sponsor already to fix any problems with the cars to get them "road worthy" We were lucky enough to grow up in SCCA and many people were willing to help us however they could, for example giving us used tires.
Then thier was probably about $500.00 of little expences such as exaghst clamps/pipes as well as kill switchs and what not.
Now you will also need to purchase a transponder
You will also need some lettering... Don't pay a lot for this (some people do), we found a sponsor for ours...
The other investment, was getting to the track... We were very lucky as our dad lent us his truck and trailer for one car, and a crew member lent us his tow doly and a truck for the other car. We banked on one car always being able to "roll" home.

That first year we were far from competitive, but we had a blast!!!

Over the years we invested a little more and a little more and within 3 years we were competitive... then we started really spending the money to get to the front!!! Now it is a tough habbit to try and break :eclipsee_steering:

Good Luck, and never be to shy to ask for help, lots of racers have old stuff that they really don't need, but need an excuse to get rid of!!!

Raymond

PS: As Mentioned... GET DAVE'S BOOK... GO AHEAD TAKE THE WHEEL!!!

zracre
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
By all means get Dave's book!!! Also get the GCR if you are going to build (get it anyways!) here is an example of what is out there:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=9910 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9910)

as always race cars are worth about $0.25 per $1.00...It will cost more if you build...for a first time racer you are always better off getting a sorted car for the schools so you have time to drive, not fix. As you enjoyment level goes up (or goes away) you can figure out what class and cars you want to build... just my depreciated $0.02

JWiley
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
$3500 would certainly be the low end, and might not get you a car that would ever be able to run near the front, even with development. If you go this route, bear in mind that the first couple of years as a new racer are great fun just being in a car on a racetrack, but even that gets old and you are going to want more. Carefully consider the costs outside the car itself: $600+ for drivers gear, $500 and up for a set of tires, $200+ entry fee, $50+ race gas, gas for the tow, motel & food if on the road, and who-knows-how-much if you break something-- you get the picture. I have always figured an average cost of $500 per race weekend over the course of season for a less-than-serious ITC program, and this is certainly on the Bangladesh end of the scale.

All things considered, a cheap car is a good way to find out if you really want to get involved in racing, but spend as much as you can afford to start with the very best equipment you can. As an alternative, you could try a weekend rental, but you'll be blowing money on someone else's car.

Good Luck!

James Wiley

gsbaker
01-03-2007, 03:46 PM
You must get the book.

Also, if you have never been on a race track in a race car you should seriously consider renting for your first outing. Yeah, the $ could be put toward your own car, but I'd hate to see you buy a car and trailer only to find out it was not what you thought it might be.

Either way, the folks here will put you on the right path.

pballance
01-03-2007, 03:48 PM
#1. Get Dave's book!
#2. Read Dave's Book at least two times.
#3 Here is where the fun starts, start looking for a car. Make a purchase of a prepped car in decent condition (always cheaper to buy than build) see the above posts as well.

Be prepared to spend $500-600.00 for safety equipment(as much as you can afford for helmet, suit, etc.)

Fix what you have to to go to the track and go have fun.

FWIW, I will have spent almost 2k prepping a car that had a log book, fire system, and cell and most of the correct go fast stuff already in place. I am only replacing the brakes, belts, and fixing minor stuff and will have spent nearly 2k in prep and still need to buy tires. In total, I will have $5500-$6500 invested before I ever get to the track. My goals for this year, not have a mechanical DNF, stay out of the fast guys lines, and have fun.

As a comparison I competed in autox in a stock class with R compounds and upgraded shocks. I spent $2k for tires last year and about $750 for shocks and alignments. I also did a lot of my own alignments to save $$$.

YMMMV, but I am also a newbie but was willing to buy a car that I wanted whether it is competitive or not. It took me about 18 months to find what I wanted, but it was worth the wait.

Paul

RSTPerformance
01-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Additinal suggestion...

If you are on a budget... stick with ITB or ITC. It is far cheaper to get to midpack or even the front, and you can probably get into it and have fun for $3,500 (car only).

My Opinion:

It is much cheaper to build a basic car to get on the track... but that would be a car that is basically completely stock w/ exception to safety equipment (good car for racing for last place). If you could find one of those for sale, then obviosly that would be cheaper, however finding an old stock car with safety equipment is a tough find.

If you have moderate amount of money, it is a FAR BETTER VALUE to buy a car/trailer combo from someone getting out of the sport, or better yet from someone upgrading their own equipment.

If you have a boat load of money and are in this for the fun and love of it including the maintenance aspect, then build a car. I never see the very front runners in a car that they didn't build themselves along with their crew/mechanic.

Raymond

lateapex911
01-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Buy Daves book. I know, broken record. But he wrote for YOU! ;)

Second, spend $4000 on an ITB car that just ran and needs nothing other than pads oil and gas.

Third, Spend reasonable money on good fitting safety gear, and a good helmet.

Fourth, Either wrangle a deal for a truck/trailer, or work overtime. Get an old Dodge or Chevy van...they are cheap and ugly, but that goes hand in hand. It might look like it should have a "Don't laugh, you daughter could be in here" bumper sticker, but they can tow a race car, and for next to nothing.

Fifth....listen to the smart guys, and work lots of overtime!

Good luck!

R2 Racing
01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
My first racecar was an ITC 1985 Honda Civic. I bought the car (race ready), the homemade trailer that went with it (single axle with no brakes and no suspension - eek!), and an entire pickup and van full of spares for $3200. That was in April of 2000 and I had to drive from Columbus to Nashville to get it. It was unbelievably slow when I got it, but most of it was because the guy who owned it (second owner) really had no idea what he was doing. A little bit of carb work and she was up and running pretty decently. Other than that it had decent suspension, a rediculously stout welded in cage, modest gauges, and up to date belts and window net. The only thing additional I needed to get was my personal safety gear and a new race seat (a fatass approved one).

It worked out pretty good for me and that car ended up being pretty quick after a while. I think that was the allure of it. In April of 2000, those '84-87 Civic's and CRX's were "the car" to have in ITC. So eventhough mine was kind of a turd bucket when I bought it, I knew it had the potential to eventually be fast as I grew with it.

JimLill
01-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Depending on how often you plan to go racing and how close the track(s) is, you might consider the rental or a truck + trailer from U-Haul or Penske until you get your feet wet on racing.

JIgou
01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
And don't forget the dollars needed to keep the thing on the track:

Entry Fees
Brake pads
Tires
Fuel
Oil
etc.

It doesn't take long for those to outdistance the initial cost of the car....and some cars eat those things faster than others.

(Maybe Dave's book talks about that - I haven't read it.)

Jarrod

philstireservice
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Buy Dave's book......really read it until you can recite it...then comeback here and ask all the questions you want. I bet you'll be much more informed then ...... :happy204:

Greg Amy
01-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm surprised you guys haven't offered the best possible advice already...

EVERYTHING[/i].

Don't listen to these guys. Don't even take a sip. Save your money and live a gifted life. There is NO SOCIALLY-REDEEMING VALUE for auto racing.

Remember: your momma's right. Every time.

gran racing
01-03-2007, 05:42 PM
This is the best thread ever! :D

Tom, as others have stated you can find a decent and safe car within that budget. One of the best ways of finding one and when you're ready, letting people know you're looking for an inexpensive car. Many of the best deals I've heard about were unadvertised sales of cars, although as Jon found out, it.com and other sites can be a good source as well.

Have you ever been out on a track before? If not, you owe it to yourself to do a few high performance driving events. Lime Rock and other tracks are relatively close to you. Related to this, have you been to any of the SCCA regional races? (Several of us who have posted on this thread race at Lime Rock and other tracks you would.

Since you mentioned you're looking for an inexpensive car, I would also imagine that you're looking to keep the other related costs down too. Becareful during the process and get the things you need to race & be safe versus the items you "need" (meaning want). Racing jack vs. a basic jack. When I started racing, I found this a bit challenging. Oh, look what I just found! This custom XXX is only $X - what a deal. Fortunately I would send my great idea to one of my friends and he would talk me out of it, and vice versa.

I will openly admit that when I added up the costs and actually put them down on paper (even though I was doing it using a very low budget), it was a bit depressing. There's a good reason I prefaced that section with a warning in bold font followed by "The following can lead to sever headaches and heartburn. Proceed with extreme caution. Having a strong beverage may be useful." The positive news is that all expenses do not need to be done at once. Now that I'm trying to keep up with the Blethens and others, my darn budget keeps growing.

If you have any other questions, just ask. The people on this forum are excellent resources, friendly, and won't make you feel silly. (No, I'm not just saying that because of the support they've given me with my book efforts.)

Oh, Greg is saying that because he's the president of RRA (Road Racers Anomyous). There's also a reason why my wife refers to racing as my "habbit" and Greg is my sponsor. Speaking for myself, although I have sacrificed other things (no longer golf or ski, don't spend much money on non-racing toys, ect.) it is well worth it! The friends, memories, and experiences gained from racing are just awesome. I'm glad I won't look back on my life and say "I regret never tried to race. I wish I had." Life is too short.

zracre
01-03-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm surprised you guys haven't offered the best possible advice already...
EVERYTHING[/i].

Don't listen to these guys. Don't even take a sip. Save your money and live a gifted life. There is NO SOCIALLY-REDEEMING VALUE for auto racing.

Remember: your momma's right. Every time.
[/b]

he is kinda right...it is more or less heroine. It will be in your blood for life and the only way to lose the addiction is to kill the host.

RSTPerformance
01-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Ok, I did some leg work for ya... Just cause I want you in ITB :blink:

I think that the following list of cars are all still for sale. I may be wrong, but they are listings from IT.com that have been active since November 06.

Winning cars, that you can get into and just arrive and win in. I have sceen them, fought with them and vouch for the people and the cars... They are top notch:

VW Golf
$6,995
http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=7966 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7966)

Audi Coupe GT
$6,500
http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=9799 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9799)

Honda Civic
$???? Uknown, maybe Rick will post up a figure?
http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=9563 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9563)

A perfect starter car well within your price range. I have never sceen the car, or raced against it:

VW Schirocco
$2,600
http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=9910 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9910)

Unknown car to me, maybe others can chime in... Interesting that it is at the top of the current ITB price range:

Geo Prizm GSI
$7,500
http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=9862 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9862)

A car that could be converted with a little investment:

VW Golf
$Around your price range, call and make an offer.
http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...?showtopic=9297 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9297)

Hope this helps get you on your way... or at least gives you some ideas.

ddewhurst
01-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Tom, if you have never raced anythng or if you have raced something other than a road race car PLEASE spend one summer/season looking & learning with someone who knows the ins & outs of SCCA road racing. Then after you have a real clue what it takes to road race make your decisions. Ask questions about EVERYTHING that you don't understand. ALL racers love to talk about their race cars & most are willing to be straight shooters with answers to your questions.

Example of my learning process.

I sucessfully raced Karts at WKA events during 1991, 92 & 93.

I joined the SCCA in 1997 & used years 97 & 98 for starters of my learning process. My original intent was to get involved in Production car road racing. I learned in a hurry that I didn't have the money required to race a 40 year old British race car. That is the reason I built a Spec-7 road race car.

I built my first 1st gen Mazda RX-7 Spec-7 road race car in 1999. (very limited modifications allowed & very exact by number suspension parts allowed.)

I did my SCCA drivers school in the spring of year 2000 & started raceing.

Have Fun ;)
David

gprodracer
01-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Question: How much money does it take to get started in road racing?

Answer: How much money do you have? Take that and double it.

Good Part: It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on... and you'll find a way to afford it somehow.

Bad Part: It's the single most addictive thing you'll ever do.

Welcome, don't be intimidated, buy Daves book, sit down, strap in, and hang on!! You're gonna love the ride!

Mark

JLawton
01-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Living in the Northeast, come on up to LRP, Pocono our NHIS next season. There are plenty of us who will be there, it's a good way to check it out...........and we could always use the extra help!! ;)

Yes, I have no money due to racing............and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Oh yeah, buy Dave's book!

philstireservice
01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Living in the Northeast, come on up to LRP, Pocono our NHIS next season. There are plenty of us who will be there, it's a good way to check it out...........and we could always use the extra help!! ;)

Yes, I have no money due to racing............and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

[/b]

Yes !! and while you are observing all the racing activities going on, you will also observe Greg picking on Jeff and Jeff yelling back at Greg and both Greg and Jeff picking on Jeremy, who hasn't even been on this thread yet, but will be picked on by both Greg and Jeff when he gets here :014: ........another wonderful aspect of racing that you will thoroughly enjoy !!!

C'mon in the water is fine !!!

gran racing
01-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Gesh Phil, that sums it up very nicely!! There's also the occasional ribbing from Joe.

Jeremy Billiel
01-04-2007, 11:07 AM

[/b]

The key word in this sentence is "I".

I think we should call Jeff's wife and see what she thinks about the money being spent! LOL

Yes I am the rookie who bears the brunt of the abuse, but its all good. In fact we busted Jeff's balls for days at Road Atlanta for lifting in T12.

RSTPerformance
01-04-2007, 11:38 AM
In fact we busted Jeff's balls for days at Road Atlanta for lifting in T12.
[/b]

Jeff lifts in T12 at Atlanta... What a sissy :cavallo:

Raymond

gsbaker
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Raymond
[/b]
Jeff lifts in 12! Jeff lifts in 12! Nya nya nya, nya nya nya. :lol: ;)

Eagle7
01-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Raymond [/b]

He probably carries a lot more speed into T12 than you do. :D

Jeremy Billiel
01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Jeff lifts in 12! Jeff lifts in 12! Nya nya nya, nya nya nya. :lol: ;)
[/b]

LOL, Sorry Jeff!

Jeremy - Who is afraid of what he has coming to him this season... Payback is always a bitch and I am sure it will be coming to me in the near future!

Triarii
01-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I feel like I have walked in to a crack house, and I like what I see. This board rocks. You guys are top notch, thanks for the info. I'll need a few hours to sort this all out, and I feel like i need to buy that book. Ive only been to one race at Suzuka as a spectator and spent most of the time staring at the grid girls. If I don't have the cash by this summer I think I will defenitly be hanging around LRP and the Glenn trying to soak it in and learn. I look foward to runing in to a few of you (figurtively).
-Tom

charrbq
01-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Standing around and watching isn't a bad deal. Watching the grid girls is fun, but you don't learn squat about race cars, but that's okay, neither do they. You'd be surprised at how much some of the crew are willing to talk to you and tell you little things that might help. Stay away from the big boys (Champ Cars, ALMS, etc) for almost any reason other than to drool. They normally don't have time to talk to you, don't speak English, or speak about things you might not comprehend. Going to touring, MX5, etc. grids is good and can be relative to your cause. But your best bet is to get into big club races. There you can differentiate real quick between legitimate efforts and expenses. Most guys will take the time to share a soda, a moment, or even a beer (later) and talk about what's what. Bear in mind that no one has a true idea of what it costs to do what they do. The figures they give you are what they remember from the last Visa statement or arguement with the wife. True cost is always measured in multiple variables and is inherently far more than admitted to.

But...unless it's taking from the kid's college fund, the 401K, or the house payments, it's worth it.

JLawton
01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Bear in mind that no one has a true idea of what it costs to do what they do. The figures they give you are what they remember from the last Visa statement or arguement with the wife. True cost is always measured in multiple variables and is inherently far more than admitted to.
[/b]

I keep a spreadsheet with all my expenses for racing. I know exactly how much I spent at the end of the season.

But...unless it's taking from the kid's college fund, the 401K, or the house payments, it's worth it.
[/b]

Pay for everything in cash, leave no paper trail!!! :023:

RSTPerformance
01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
I keep a spreadsheet with all my expenses for racing. I know exactly how much I spent at the end of the season.
Pay for everything in cash, leave no paper trail!!! :023:
[/b]

No paper trail other than that spreadsheet :026: lol

Had to... ya sissy :)

Chris-

Great recomendations :)

gran racing
01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I do agree with you Chris.

Based on my past experience talking with people, there's another end of the spectrum when talking with people. Well, you need a large enclosed trailer, a racing engine is a must, then you'll need a set of new tires each weekend, and don't forget the generator. That sh#$ and wrong kept me out of racing for too many years.

Guess that's why up until next year I've used a tow dolly. I'll also admit to having strange boxes show up at work related to racing. Hmmm. Could someone pass the pipe back to me?

NutDriverRighty
01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
I may get flamed for this comment, but I think that "newbies" should at least consider coming and doing corner work for at least one weekend. It will show you some of the "do's and don'ts" and will contribute to the event for everyone. I worked corners for two years before I got in a car. Still work corners when the $$ is too tight. Gave me a new appreciation for all that is involved in putting on a race, even if it is "just a regional".

Scott

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

charrbq
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I totally agree with working races. I still do at schools and double nationals. I would also suggest, other than corners, try grid, tech, or even fast pits. If you really want an up close and personal look at cars and drivers, they not only give you the opportunity, but the ability.

gprodracer
01-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Scott,

I'm interested to know why you'd even think you'd get flamed for suggesting working corners before going racing? There is no better way of learning A LOT of "do's and don'ts" than watching right on the corners.
I didn't start with corner working 'cause I didn't know any better, ( I think I ran 2 races before I "worked" my 1st weekend) but I was amazed at how much flagging improved my lap times.
The corners are the best seats in the house IMHO, and you learn what you need to do when you need the workers help. Knowing their "language" can speed up their ability to help you when you are in the car, and help keep them out of harms way if there is nothing they can do for you until the "hook" arrives. :blink:

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Z3_GoCar
01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Working a corner is a great way to get out and learn. Just be sure to wear white ;)

As for how much it will cost, the car's just the beginning of what you'll spend. I shopped around and got my safety gear for ~$1k, add my R-3 head restraint for $850. School costs were ~ $3k for rental, entry, and licensing fee's. Adding a trailer which was ~$2k including putting a hitch on my old S-10. Four race weekends and two and a half test days this fall ~$4k including two sets of tires. So that puts me at ~ $11k roughly speaking. However, I can't put a price on how much fun I had. The quote by Egan pretty much sums it up.

James

dj10
01-05-2007, 08:00 PM
My advise to anyone who want's to start racing.........DO IT! Because you never know when you'll become worm food and money won't do you any good then!

gpeluso
01-05-2007, 09:37 PM
My advise to anyone who want's to start racing.........DO IT! Because you never know when you'll become worm food and money won't do you any good then!
[/b]
Since I hear you had another birthday and knowing your current age..I can see where you are coming from. :P

NutDriverRighty
01-05-2007, 09:42 PM
mark,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. In regard to my comment about getting flamed, it is due to the reaction that I get from alot of my driver friends when I suggest it to them ("Hell, I ain't doing that! Gotta car to drive!). Given the crowd I run with, I can't say that I should be that surprised, LOL.
I have to agree with the comment about "knowing the language", too. When I have an incident in my area (and those who know me know that if I'm at Turn 10 at Road Atlanta, SOMEONE is gonna have a fire!), it's nice to have a driver get out, tell me that he is ok and needs a flat-tow, and then go to a safe area with standard SCCA hand signals. I've had to have heated discussions before with folks sitting in cars that were still burning to get the ____ out (Turn 10, again) and also, why we don't open the hood on a car that may still be burning before the fire trucks get there (once again, turn 10..............hey, those are all the same guy!!)
I've seen how to make a pass and how NOT to, when is too late to make a move, what "cold tire issues" really means, and why the driver should stay belted in the car until it's truly safe.
This may sound silly, but I check the corners to see who is working where on recon laps. Nice to see folks that you've entrusted with your safety previously looking back at you. Caution-flagging at Turn 5 at Road Atlanta can be quite the trust exercise. ("you have to turn your back to traffic, watch for incidents past our post, and trust that I'll get both[i] of us out of the way if something is coming").

In regard to the costs of racing, my brother and I split bills 50/50. We also drive in the Carolina Cup Pro Series to we can split the driving duties (about 21 1/2 minutes each in the race itself, one qualifies the car, the other practices it). Charlotte Motor Speedway in an IT7 car with no helmet blower or Cool Suit in June can get a bit warm. Wouldn't have wanted to do the whole distance by myself). For our first car, it was $5700 with trailer and some spares. $400 for a good helmet, $275 for a decent suit, $60 for shoes, $20 for gloves (clearance bin), and each of us had a grand total of about $3600 invested when we went to our first DE after being signed-off for solo. BTW, I encourage going to your local track and doing an HPDE if possible. Cheap instruction, cheap track time, good experience.

dj10
01-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Since I hear you had another birthday and knowing your current age..I can see where you are coming from. :P [/b]

My advice especially goes for you too!! :023: Hell I had a great Birthday........they hung Saddam on it and I got shit faced. :birra:

dickita15
01-06-2007, 06:46 AM
I had spent quite a few years as a worker before I went to driver’s school and I was amazed at the advantage I had at the school in just understanding the culture of an SCCA event. Others in the school had no idea how things worked and I was happy not to have learn that as well as everything else that day.

gprodracer
01-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Dick,

Kudos to you! You said a mouthfull when you said " the culture of SCCA" . Many people don't have a clue as to the many aspects of what it takes to allow us to go racing. Without question, I firmly believe that working a corner should manditory before receiving a competion license. There are too many drivers out there that have no idea what it takes to do F&C for a day, much less the knowledge they'll gain from watching any specific corner up close.
Again, just MHO.

Mark

Racy-Stacey
01-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Dick,

Kudos to you! You said a mouthfull when you said " the culture of SCCA" . Many people don't have a clue as to the many aspects of what it takes to allow us to go racing. Without question, I firmly believe that working a corner should manditory before receiving a competion license. There are too many drivers out there that have no idea what it takes to do F&C for a day, much less the knowledge they'll gain from watching any specific corner up close.
Again, just MHO.

Mark
[/b]

I agree that you get a real perspective of whats its like out there. I worked a couple corners at Buttonwillow, I've done timing and scoring and worked grid. I even had a chance to run the pace car a few times. All these jobs really give you a firm grounding on what it takes and how much is involved for your $300. Oh almost forgot, if you really want to dig into how the club works spend some time on the council. :blink:

Also I spent:
Car $950
Ign: 150
Roll Cage
250+install 300
Safty gear 750
exhaust 150
header 200
suspension 650
tires (6) 420
wheels free
fire extingisher 200
other stuff kill switch etc. 200
paint: 200
ack... wow .. but not all at the same time. My car took me about 3yrs to build. :(
I generally tell people about $5000 to go racing.