PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in a Protege?

abreakey
01-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey guys - I am converting an SSC Mazda Protege over to an ITA car (it is now aged out of SS competition). I know it isn't the A-1 car to have in ITA, but I think I can still have some fun with it.

Is anyone else out there running a Protege in ITA? I need to put together my to-do list for the car's conversion, where would you suggest I start first? I think the suspension/handling is probably the right place, but what do others think. Oh, I have already put the car on a diet and she is shedding weight daily.

Thanks for the insight.

adamb

Andy Bettencourt
01-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Adam,

I think this car may have more potential than you think. At 122 stock hp, you will need to find the power for sure but getting it to handle should be your first priority. I would call Tri-Point in Cali and get their thoughts on an IT-legal set up.

Knestis
01-03-2007, 09:58 AM
It's always a chunk of dough but I'm of the opinion that the most time can often be found in a gearbox - get a good diff and final drive ratio (I don't know what's available for that car) and you'll find time.

K

Xian
01-03-2007, 02:29 PM
You may try checking with Jesse Naughton (pseudorealityx) on www.roadrace-autox.com (I don't think he's registered here)... he used to run a Solo prepped STS Protege and can probably at least point you in the right direction as far as suspension parts/info sources.

Good luck with the build!

Christian

edit:
I just noticed that you're in the SE Region. I look forward to seeing you in ITA soon :)

JeffYoung
01-03-2007, 03:35 PM
You need to talk to Dave Blum at Krause and England in Raleigh. www.krauseandengland.com. Dave used to race an ITA Protege and had the pole and fast lap at VIR in it not too many years ago.

Call him. He is a GREAT guy and will help ou as best he can I am sure. Hell, he tried to talk me out of building an ITS Triumph which shows he MUST have some sense.

Kolin Aspegren
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Guys if its truly an ssc protege the car was given a trunk kit which included coilovers 325lbs frt. and
600lbs rear. Roush's car was the best effort with a max of 108 at the wheels. The car needs power
well before anything else.

Kolin

Fastfred92
01-03-2007, 04:10 PM
If you are talking 90-93 like Dave Blum's old car I don't think it can make it's new minimum weight in ITA ( see raging debate in Porsche section about not meeting process weight )

Aged racer
01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Adam, is your Protege a '97 ? If so, it's different body style than the '99-'00 that Roush ran. I share a 2000 Protege that used to run Nationals- it's a great car, superb handling with the trunk kit but way down on power (right, Kolin?). We'll convert it to ITA sooner or later, it'll never be the perfect choice but a fun, reliable car for ECR's.

Couple thoughts- Ali Naimi, Russ McHugh, and John Saucier (the sr) all ran the '97's in National racing out West. You might try to raise them on the sccaforums.com for any insights. MazdaComp should also be a good source, start with the trunk kits.

For motors, I'd highly recommend Bob Thornton at Race Engineering. He's a leading builder of Spec Miata engines, isn't far from you in Salisbury, NC. I think the Protege engine is a different block (?), but his expertise should rule when you're ready for some engine work.

Good luck- see ya out there.

Steve S

seckerich
01-03-2007, 11:59 PM
If you get ready for a limited slip in the car give Tom Fowler a call at OPM Autosports. We did quite a few units for the guys running these cars in World Challenge.

abreakey
01-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Hey guys - thanks for the input.

This car is an actual SSC Protege -- it is the one that won the runoffs back in 1998 (it is a 1997). I bought it from Russ McHugh a few months ago. For an SSC car it is very well setup.

Also, I am friends with Jesse, so I will be talking with him and Krause and England is holding a local club tech day coming up soon, so I will be sure to show up to that and talk with Dave Blum.

So, if my car already has the trunk kit, should I start looking at the engine, or should I go for the LSD and gearbox?

I still have more weight to loose, so that will continue to be a focus -- oh, the car has some weight to loose also :)

Thanks for the insight -- keep the thoughts coming!

adamb

Xian
01-04-2007, 10:59 AM
If the car still has the factory open diff in it, I'd definitely talk to Tom @ OPM about getting an LSD for the car. I added one of his units to my CRX before the start of this season and it's a vast improvement.

For engine building, you can also check with Blake Meredith (bam914). He's the owner of www.roadracegear.com and used to work for Sunbelt and OPM so he knows his way around Mazda engines. He does top notch work and I've got little doubt that he'll be able to put together a great engine for you.

Christian

Mike Spencer
01-04-2007, 08:50 PM
...and Krause and England is holding a local club tech day coming up soon, so I will be sure to show up...
[/b]

OK, I'm not trying to highjack the thread, but I live in Raleigh and I haven't heard squat about a tech day. Where did you hear about it?

Thanks!

abreakey
01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
OK, I'm not trying to highjack the thread, but I live in Raleigh and I haven't heard squat about a tech day. Where did you hear about it?

Thanks!
[/b]

Tarheel Sports Car Club Time Trial series.

http://www.thscc.com/timetrial/index.html

This is not the SCCA NCR tech day. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

adamb

If the car still has the factory open diff in it, I'd definitely talk to Tom @ OPM about getting an LSD for the car. I added one of his units to my CRX before the start of this season and it's a vast improvement.

For engine building, you can also check with Blake Meredith (bam914). He's the owner of www.roadracegear.com and used to work for Sunbelt and OPM so he knows his way around Mazda engines. He does top notch work and I've got little doubt that he'll be able to put together a great engine for you.

Christian
[/b]

Thanks Christian. I will look both of them up. :023:

adamb

Xian
01-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Thanks Christian. I will look both of them up. :023:

adamb
[/b]
Glad to help!