PDA

View Full Version : Bronze oil pump drive gear

mgp240
01-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Good morning all,
I just tried to order the bronze oil pump drive gear and spindle combo from courtesyparts.com(for a 1990 240SX KA24E)... The drive gear is not available anymore, and the spindle is on back order. It states that the pair must be replaced as a set.
Anyone out there using these? Is there somewhere else to get them?
I was trying to get them because the last couple of times I took the engine apart the OE gears had chunks missing on them.
Is courtesyparts' claim that there is improved wear characteristics with the bronze true?
Thanks,
Mike

lateapex911
01-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Good morning all,
I just tried to order the bronze oil pump drive gear and spindle combo from courtesyparts.com(for a 1990 240SX KA24E)... The drive gear is not available anymore, and the spindle is on back order. It states that the pair must be replaced as a set.
I was trying to get them because the last couple of times I took the engine apart the OE gears had chunks missing on them.
Is courtesyparts' claim that there is improved wear characteristics with the bronze true?
Thanks,
Mike [/b]

Perhaps, but I don't believe they are a legal replcement, FYI....

Joe Harlan
01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Good morning all,
Thanks,
Mike
[/b]
We used them in GT motors but I don't believe they are technically legal in IT ( I could be wrong) The design is better than OE but I have not seen an OE unit fail on any of the IT engines I have done.

lateapex911
01-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I seem to recall an request for an exception for them, which was turned down. The replacement part rule stipulates no material change, so I feel they are illegal.

Reason for the rejection was that if allowed, all such requests would need to be allowed, such as Golf owners wanting to upgrade hubs and so on.

Joe Harlan
01-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I seem to recall an request for an exception for them, which was turned down. The replacement part rule stipulates no material change, so I feel they are illegal.

Reason for the rejection was that if allowed, all such requests would need to be allowed, such as Golf owners wanting to upgrade hubs and so on.
[/b]

Yeah, I have no issue with not allowing them. Unless you shim the hell out of the pump spring there is no reason there should be a huge problem with them.

mgp240
01-03-2007, 11:31 AM
...but I have not seen an OE unit fail on any of the IT engines I have done.
[/b]

So am I looking at an issue with too loose of a fit on the spindle? Maybe the holes in the timing cover are worn?
Thanks guys

Also, thanks for pointing out the legality issues. I remember reading about the OE material issue, but when I started looking into these gears, I thought: there's no performance gain... anyways, thanks (because if I ever do get to the front, I definately don't want to loose it to something like this)

turboICE
01-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I have a paired set that I have been using as paper weights, but they will likely go on the next motor now as I am probably going to be running PT now with NASA.

I thought about the legality of them after I ordered them but before using them and was the one that requested their use and their use was rejected.

lateapex911
01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
.....as I am probably going to be running PT now with NASA................ and (I) was the one that requested their use and their use was rejected........ [/b]

Gotta ask....this have anything to do with the move to NASA? Surprising, as the 240SX is seen by many as the car to have in ITA., and NASA isn't big or well filled out in the NE, while the cream of the ITA crop is in the NE. I'm just curious....

turboICE
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM
The gear in and of itself doesn't have anything to do with the "move" though the rule set and the decision within the rule set is a contributing factor to not running with both. Not really a move for me considering I come from NASA and never left them. (But I did not have a problem with the decision, the decision fits the class - just wanted the clarity of the decision.) BTW my request was to have the Nissan parts with Nissan # added to the 240SX spec line as being permitted rather than a broader rule change.

I do this for fun and am still new relatively speaking and wouldn't mind seeing how I do over time in a broad talented field (SCCA) rather than a narrower talented field (NASA). But both are not doable for me at this point and NASA is more convenient since that is where I have long time friends. The fun factor would be higher for me with NASA when I have to choose only one.

I would really like to be racing my Subaru which has no place in SCCA but does in NASA - so if the 240SX is so competitive in SCCA maybe I should sell the fastback car, parts inventory, caged notchback shell and notchback spare parts car and develop my Subaru.

Darren
01-06-2007, 06:29 PM
FYI, the spindle & bronze drive gear set is legal in ITS for the Datsun 240Z. Like the E31 cyl head, they were an OE component on the early production 240Z. The spindle p/n was 15040-73400 & the bronze drive gear was 15043-73400. And like the early 1-piece rocker arm (13257-21000), they were an over-engineered part that was eventually phased out & replaced w/alternate components. However, when NML made the running change, they also changed the pitch of the gears so that early & late p/ns must always be used as a set & never mixed. When Nissan Motorsports reproduced the drive gear (15043-73400FL), they designed it to work w/the later OE spindle (15040-21001). This doesn't help the 240SX guys in ITA, but should set the record straight on the availability & legality of these early Datsun parts. B)

hunter164
01-07-2007, 09:02 AM
We had looked into the bronze gear at one point, before checking on its legality. I work for a Nissan Dealership and was still unable to locate one. We never really finished checking legality at that point because it was irrelevant. That spindle and gear is a weak point in the KA motor. We have had a couple go on us in the past. Its now a "maintenance required" part for us as we try to avoid the part failure DNF.

stevel
01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
We never really finished checking legality at that point because it was irrelevant.
[/b]

Without question it is not legal on the ITA cars, just an fyi. There's no way around that one.

s