PDA

View Full Version : Endurance racing checklist

abreakey
01-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey guys. I have an ITA car that I want to run in a couple of ECR enduros as well as one or two longer (VIR 13hr, etc) enduros this year. I haven't run an enduro before, so I am asking the experts here.

What is required to compete in these enduros? I have a boatload of spares, and I know tires and fuel are required elements. But what should I bring with me to my first event? Also, what do I NEED or required to have that would be different than a regular SCCA sprint race?

Thanks for your thoughts. I hope to see you guys at a few of these events this year.

BTW, I am running an underprepared, underdog of a car - a former SSC Mazda Protege. It will be running pretty close to SSC prep level (minus the interior differences) for a little while I decide what I want to modify/prepare next.

Thanks again

adamb

Conover
01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Long Enduro
1) People about 12 of them including drivers
2) Food and Drinks including caffeine
3) Pit lights
4) Catch pan for fueling
5) Driving lights
6) Radios

I'm sure there is plenty more.

Short "enduros"

1) You
2) Fuel
3) a co driver who can double as a gas man

gprodracer
01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Adam,

Enduros are by far the best bang for the buck! You'll enjoy them because a lot of times the fastest car doesn't win.
In SEDIV ECRS, you are required to have a 5 lb (min) fire extinguisher, and a bag of oil dry/kitty litter in your pit as a minimum safety requirement. Check the supps for anything else they might require.
There are a thousand things you CAN bring to your pit, you'll probably learn the hard way what you'll need like the rest of us :lol:
I started with 2 tires, a jack, jack stands, torque wrench, duct tape, tie wraps/zip ties, oil, windex, paper towels, FLUIDS for drivers/crew, a basic toolbox, and a big hammer or an aluminum baseball bat (for prying fenders away from tires-just roll and go).
There are a bunch of others, just make sure all of the safety requirements are met, as that is the number one thing that will keep you and your crew out of trouble.
Make friends with your pit neighbors, as most people will lend you anything you forget, and make mental notes of what else you'll need to bring next time.
Good luck!
"To finish first, you must first FINISH"

Mark

MMiskoe
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Food & drinks are a must. A cooler full of water/juice/gatoraid etc that stays in the pits for your crew to nurse is a requirement.

As far as required/mandated equipment not typically brought to a sprint race - tie downs & a safety cage for a nitrogen bottle (if you use one). A crew member to go work for a stint - these guys usually become pit marshalls for your fellow competitors. Speedy dry (already mentioned) and therefore a broom to clean it up with, fire extinguishers, helmet/hood & goggles & fire suit for fuelers (and sometimes the fireman). Lights on the car (check the tail lights).

Look on line for the sups to some of last years races, they are probably still posted. Read through them & you'll get a feel for what extra stuff is required.

Otherwise bring all the spares you have. Put them in boxes w/ a paper on the top of each one that lists what is in the box so you can find it quickly. If you have special tools to fix a certain item and you can dedicate that tool, pack it with the spare you need it for. If its a night race, bring lots of flash lights. It never ceases to amaze me how dark most tracks are at night.

Soon after you get home, make a list of all the things you wish you'd brought.

Matt

Team SSR
01-03-2007, 07:15 AM
You will want to be prepared for rain (car and pits). In a longer race you have a better chance of racing in the wet and racing in it longer.

abreakey
01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys -- that is a lot of good information. I am excited to get into endurance racing this year.

With the ECR races, how many people do you bring? I see 12 or more for a long enduro (including drivers)... but what about the shorter ones?

Thanks again

adamb

Knestis
01-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm kind of twisted but I don't even think of a 3- or 3.5-hour race as an enduro - just a long sprint.

For an ECR, all you need is someone to dump in some fuel and time your stop. I've seen drivers do it THEMSELVES, since they have to be out of the car anyway.

K

zracre
01-03-2007, 10:16 AM
don't forget the fire bottle for your pit stop. 12# if possible (required in Atlanta Region races). You can't race without it!

charrbq
01-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Short enduros (ECR) I've done with Evan and I crewing for one another if we don't race at the same time. Driver fuels, other guy times and holds fire extinguisher. It's easier if there is at least one other person.

Long enduros (6 hrs. +), whole different ball of wax. As many people as you can get and afford. Snell or DOT helmets for everyone over the wall, Nomex or similar coveralls/driver suits for all over the wall, goggles or chemical resistant face shield for anyone handling fuel or related goodies, chemical splash aprons for same, plus all the other stuff listed before.

Also, make certain that everyone has a specific task, and that they have the capability/training to fill in more than one area. Example: If your timing guy needs a potty break and the car suddenly has to come in, somebody better be there to time the pit stops. Put someone worthy in charge of the pit festivities, preferrably not a driver.

Also, depending on what type of car you run and the potential weather conditions, bring at least two extra mounted tires, jack, and jack stands. If it's a long enduro, include brake pads and the associated equipment for changing. A rechargable impact can be your friend, also.

Bring everything you might think you'd need, plus a bunch more. The post that mentioned making a list of the stuff you forgot or didn't need after the race is exactly right...and critical to the next event. :snow_cool: