PDA

View Full Version : FWD and Tires

IPRESS
12-30-2006, 09:47 PM
I was wondering if FWD cars are tough on tires in Enduro racing? A car I was looking at (Infiniti I20) is pretty well sorted out for endurance racing. Not really in the market for the car, but it looked like as setup people of different sizes could fit in the car. I have heard FWD cars eat front tires. Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks,
Mac

charrbq
01-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Mac,
I've run my Honda for 6 years now, and I can tell you, they eat front tires. However, if you keep them rotated between races (days), they aren't so bad. We've run the six hour at TWS, and, this year MSRH for the past five years, and I've run the ECR series at Daytona and Road Atlanta. For the ECR short races, I've never had trouble with the Hoosiers I run normally. But for the six hour, I buy six new tires and come home with four usable test tires. This was the first year that I didn't have to change the fronts by the fourth hour driver change. Normally, they are corded. This year we changed from Kumho 215/50R13 to Toyo 205/60R13, plus we changed courses to what I thought would be a tire eater.

It's not fair to the manufactures to compare the different wear as there were too many variables changed...one of which was dropping a driver that could tear up an anvil, much less tires. My car only weighs 1960 dry and with me in it. Almost 65% of the weight is on the front end and biased to the left front. I need to work on that...and my fat ass. You are looking at a car with a lot more weight and torque that might kill the front tires, but they are at least larger. My friends that run Integras usually ditch their fronts after each weekend, but they don't normally run long enduros other than the ECR type stuff, and they run Hoosiers for those.

I figure a Hoosier would last okay, but they would be toast possibly earlier and are a lot more expensive for a long enduro. My experiences with enduros is to out last rather than out run. :snow_cool:

Bob Roth
01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
I can comment on a CRX running Hoosier 225's , which would be a bit lighter with driver (2180) vs a I20. We usually go 2 hours on a new front set, then take them off let them sit the next session and then rotate them side to side and run them another two hours. I would say with this strategy, you can get 4 hours at nelson and Summit which are both pretty smoth tracks and you don't slide the car much You are touch and go at gingerman because its abrasive and because a car seems to always sliding in the turns.

IPRESS
01-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Those are comments pretty much inline with what I had heard at the track.

It is not my car, but if anyone has interest, I think the car is a 2000 I20, prepped for Speed WC (I think) Sunbelt engine Motons etc.
It is at MSR Cresson.
Mac

Kolin Aspegren
01-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Mac is the car silver or was it silver if you know

Kolin

IPRESS
01-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Yes it is silver #31