PDA

View Full Version : ITO/ITU in Atlanta Region

Butch Kummer
12-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Known as ITE in other parts of the country, ITO & ITU will run as part of the Regional events (including the ARRC) at all Atlanta Region events in 2007. The Region Board has approved the rules that can be found on the Atlanta website (www.Atl-SCCA.org).

While I was unable to convince the PTB to incorporate ITO in the Pro-IT series (concerns about increasing the speed and weight disparity even further until we see who actually shows up in ITO), selected ITU cars (Spec E-30, Spec 944, Honda Challenge, etc.) may be invited to run as part of that series. Those rules will be coming out in mid-January.

If you have a car built for a different Touring-type series (TCC, AV8SS, Viper Racing League, the various NASA classes, PCA, BMWCCA, etc.) we now have a place for you to run. The current schedule of Atlanta regional events follows:

Feb 24,25 Road Atlanta
July 21,22 Road Atlanta
Sept 1,2 Nashville Super Speedway (double event)
Nov 9-11 ARRC at Road Atlanta

If things go as well as I think they will my next challenge will be to get ITO & ITU recognized as SARRC classes, but let's monitor participation levels first...

Butch Kummer
Atlanta Region Competition Director

chuck baader
12-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Butch, only moderately off topic...what is the status of the RA wall and repave? Thanks, Chuck

seckerich
12-29-2006, 08:47 PM
I would like to see some other regions adopt these classes this year. I will be bringing this up at our next BOD meeting for CCR. Would be great to have this as a better alternative to a "catch all" ITE class. Try to get it discussed at the year end banquet.

lateapex911
12-29-2006, 11:26 PM
yea, those sound like smart, progressive ideas...

Butch Kummer
12-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Regarding the Road Atlanta re-do, I understand the equipment is on site and the work has started. Besides digging up all the concrete patches and repaving the entire track, they're opening up the walls in the esses going into Turn 5 and may be doing some work in Turn 12 as well. All the work is supposed to be done by late January, then our event Feb 24.25 will be the first one on the new pavement.

We're planning to be up there next Friday afternoon to work on the 2007 contract, so I'll see if I can get a tour at that time.

Butch Kummer

lateapex911
12-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Take the camera and post some work pictures! I imagine we might see some new records if the pavement is smoother, although, compared to Lime Rock, RA seems like a billiard table to me!

tom_sprecher
12-31-2006, 12:04 PM
This looks to be an excellent way to increase subscription and curb market share loss. After looking over the rules the classification will give a place for a lot of non-SCCA folks to come and play. It really needs to be done for Pro IT as it could only add to the developement of that series.

From the outside it looks like it was quick, easy and painless (simple rule set). Too bad so many other changes can't seem to be handled in the same way. In this case if you knew the folks in charge you would understand why. Thanks, guys.