PDA

View Full Version : '07 NE PDX Schedule

Greg Amy
12-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm hoping this is a typo...

I received a copy of the schedule from our chief of Tech, and it includes the PDX events. Seems there's a PDX event Memorial Day weekend at NHIS (just like last year); that's good. But, it also appears there's one at Pocono Father's Day weekend, the same weekend as (wait for it) a SCHOOL/REGIONAL at LIME ROCK PARK!

OK, so someone scheduled an event where instructors are needed opposite another event at a different track where instructors are needed?

Finally, the only other PDX listed is one at SPR the Sunday after the 12 hour race, a day after the potential instructor pool (and volunteer workers) just spent a VERY LOOONG day driving until the race ended AT MIDNIGHT, then packed up and drank (not necessarily in that order), afterwards simply wanting to go home?

Am I the only one shaking my head at this? Is it truly that difficult to schedule these events so they don't conflict, or is it just that the PDX group feels they can be self-sufficient without the road race program?

Matt Rowe
12-22-2006, 11:53 PM
The short answer is yes, it is that hard to arrange for dates.

The slightly longer answer is there are still additional events being worked and the current dates you have listed are the results of working around other worse conflicts. Also, i'm at least as concerned about pulling enough workers at pocono as instructers, especially based on our past instructor pool for that event. As for the SPR date, one of the key people in that series of events is a very active it racer and enduro racer who is charged with arranging for instructors. Maybe he will speak up but I believe he has already considered this.

Finally, while the PDX programs are working with club racing programs there are other sources of instructors that vary somewhat between regions so conflicts are not always a problem.

JamesB
12-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Actually greg I dont think its that big of an issue. The choice of that date is not all that bad actually. Because SCCA already has paid for that Sunday as part of the 12 hour race weekend.

As for the drivers pool, I dont know if it will be that much of an issue. With the 12 hour we usually have MORE volneteering staff then any normal race weekend and the various specialties ensure that everyone gets enough downtime.

I for one wont be driving in the 12 hour. I will likely work pit unless I am asked to crew. And I will likely get about 5-6 hours of sleep (I usually only get that much on a normal race weekend anyway) and be ready to instruct that sunday.

I already know that WDC is trying to get more then club racers in their instructor pool since that makes life way too unreliable for these events. Otherwise, I still don't see that as a problem to run the PDX as another event completely seperate from the 12 hour but on that Sunday. They are not requiring all racers to instruct, and I am sure those planning our PDX have already asked the worker cheifs to ensure they are ok with this.

mgyip
12-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Finally, the only other PDX listed is one at SPR the Sunday after the 12 hour race, a day after the potential instructor pool (and volunteer workers) just spent a VERY LOOONG day driving until the race ended AT MIDNIGHT, then packed up and drank (not necessarily in that order), afterwards simply wanting to go home?

Am I the only one shaking my head at this? Is it truly that difficult to schedule these events so they don't conflict, or is it just that the PDX group feels they can be self-sufficient without the road race program?
[/b]

You aren't the only one shaking your head BUT after some rather heated discussion it becomes clear that PDX events are somewhat separate of Road Racing - they're both done on race tracks and SOME of the instructors are also racers BUT those are about the only similarities between the two. The number of officials required for a PDX is significantly fewer as are the number of workers/volunteers. Furthermore, the requirements of those workers/volunteers is less than during a race since PDX workers mainly flag and aren't required (or expected) to enter the hot track to render assistance.

The PDX program is fledgling and while it isn't self-sufficient in most regions, the PDX program needs to be separate from other Club programs just like Road Race and Solo need to be separate to a larger degree. With the ever-looming possibility of date conflicts, the majority of instructors should NOT have a strong connection to racing or solo so that they can be available regardless of the racing or solo calendars. Additionally, not all racers make good instructors and vice versa - just because someone can shuffle a racecar around a track at light speed doesn't mean that same person can safely teach that to a novice. There will be some crossover between programs which is fine but at the same time, each program needs to be able to stand alone so that two programs don't overlap to the point that they BOTH fail when a scheduling conflict occurs.

Don't forget that there is an entire world of Drivers Education participants who aren't connected to racing, solo or even SCCA - this body of people is larger than SCCA Club Racing as a whole. The intent of WDCR's PDX program is to tap directly into this group of warm to quasi-warm bodies for the majority of the instructor base as this group is larger and less encumbered by other automotive-related events.

I believe the NE Region will be publishing some additional PDX dates in the near future that will hopefully not conflict with either Road Race or Solo events. As PDX (hopefully) gains popularity along with Club and Time Trials, chances of conflicts will increase. Hopefully the PDX program will be strong enough to stand alone by that point.