PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to put a CIS car in moth balls?

green golf
12-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm going to put my ITB golf in storage for maybe 6 months to a year. I am a vw mechanic so i've seen the effects of CIS when it sits. I was going to drain the tank, clean the fuel distributor, lines and injectors of fuel.
I asked around in the shop then someone said " won't air in the lines cause corrosion?" So far every bodys been about 50/50. The fuel distributor is about 2 years old, new when i put it on. So i dont want to ruin it. Has anyone ever stored a CIS car for any length of time? What problems did you have?

shwah
12-19-2006, 11:40 PM
I would just leave a small amount of fuel in it, treat it with stabil, run it long enough to get it in the whole system and park it. I don't think a 6 month layup is a big deal...

Greg Amy
12-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I concur with Chris, except I'd leave a FULL tank of fuel in it. That way there's very little air, and thus very little moisture to condense out...

JamesB
12-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Even then with ethenol based fuel I would recomend using stabilizer for terms longer then 6 months.

psykokid
12-20-2006, 01:27 PM
ask around and find out what people that have classic high dollar European cars (Ferraris , etc) that used cis do when they are storing their cars for the winter, i'm betting they have that down to a science (expecially those that live in the salt belt)

green golf
12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
I think i would have to agree with all of you. STABIL it is! Thabks for the input.

Conover
12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
my current dd an 86 gti beater was parked for like two years with a 1/4 tank of fuel, and I cranked it right up, put in some fresh fuel and she was good to go, don't worry too much about it. .