PDA

View Full Version : How To: Quick Disconnect for 1st Gen RX7 and Miata

Hotshoe
12-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I see this subject come up now and then so I thought I would help you 1st Gen RX7 guys out

..... Making a Q.D. is very easy to do. I make them all the time. Besides buying a Q.D. all you need is a Tuner Aluminum Lug Nut 12 x1.50 costs about a buck. And a couple of Bolts

..... To start you need a QD for a 3/4" shaft ..... I prefer splined over hex, it has a better feel (snug)

..... Next, get your Tuner Aluminum lug nut 12 x 1.50 and a bolt to screw it onto. I use a bolt with a shoulder.

..... Cut the head off the bolt and place it in your drill, then screw the lug nut onto the threaded end of the bolt.
..... Then (using some sand paper) sand down the lug nut ( using the drill to turn it) so that it will fit inside the 3/4 " hole of the QD..... I like mine to fit loosly.

..... This is the hardest part, cutting the center out of your steering wheel.

..... A. Remove steering wheel and turn it over.

..... B. Locate the hub that returns the turn signal to neutral. It is about 2" around and has three holes in it. one in the center for the steering shaft, and two smaller ones to hold the pins that stick up from the combination switch.

..... C. This hub has a weld around it that fastens it to the steering wheel, you want to cut around the outside of the weld. I use a hole saw but , have used a hack saw and then ground it back smooth next to the weld.

..... Now it gets easier. You take the Tuner lugnut and sand (or grind) off the tapered end

..... Sand or grind the paint off the upper side of your center hub. And then taper the bottom (opposite end of the splines) of your QD

..... Now you need access to a MIG or TIG welder.

..... To set this up for welding.

... I use some aluminum foil to snug things up. I take a strip of foil and wrap it around the lug nut until it barely fits in the QD.

.... Mount the hub onto the steering shaft, screw on the Tuner lugnut covered in foil (barely finger tight) , then slide on the QD.

.... Then tack weld around the tapered end of the QD fusing it to the hub.( I usually do mine in about four places.)

.... Remove the tuner lug nut and remove the hub from the shaft, Then finish your welding. You do not want to do all your welding with the hub on the shaft. It will melt the bearing located at the top of the steering column.

Note: ..... For those of you that do not have a welder, I would get everything prepped and ready, then trailer my car (using vicegrips to steer it) to a muffler shop and have them weld it.

..... Now for a nice touch. I get the bell from a steering wheel kit and weld it onto the outside of the center hub. Sort of cleans up the look.

.... The only thing I forgot to tell you was how to make a cheep tool to tighten your Tuner lug nut. I took a bolt ( that fits the inside of the lug) that is about 3" long and welded a nut on the end. That way I can use a wrench or socket.

Oh, by the way, this will work on Miata's too. I just prefer to use the 83-85 RX7 center hub on them.

Any questions, just PM me and I will be glad to help.

...Rick Thompson